Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I think the question still remains. Without her family connections and money would her business experience have been as noteworthy, and would she have been selected for an appointed political position?

Not saying what she has done with the opportunities she was offered wasn't successful, but she wasn't exactly starting from the ground floor.

The question remains, but why is it relevant?

When did we switch to a qualifications-based political system? I thought it was still mostly theater, money, and connections.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm

rabble wrote:When did we switch to a qualifications-based political system? I thought it was still mostly theater, money, and connections.

As far as I know, we haven't.
But ask Stu, he's the one who is pretending Burke's record was independent of her money and connections.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:When did we switch to a qualifications-based political system? I thought it was still mostly theater, money, and connections.

As far as I know, we haven't.
But ask Stu, he's the one who is pretending Burke's record was independent of her money and connections.

Actually I believe he's just ignoring the question.

And why is it relevant whether or not he is? Does it negate her qualifications?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:08 pm

rabble wrote:Does it negate her qualifications?

Depends on what you think her qualifications are I guess. My take on her qualifications is that Mike Tate wanted a candidate who could fund her own campaign and was clearly not Scott Walker.

Her business and philanthropic qualifications are not all that impressive to me given her family background. In fact given the behavior of Chris Abele here in Milwaukee (who has a similar background), I'm actually more concerned by them.

If the goal is to unseat Walker, the only real qualification at this point should be how well does she run for office and handle herself in the political arena. In that area her resume is woefully sparse.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:47 pm

gozer wrote:she received 17 per cent of the vote for governor in her district in the recall election, as in write-ins? that is quite an accomplishment if that is the case.

17% in the primary, not the general.

well, versus 4 per cent state-wide, and considering that 17 per cent is much more than 2 standard deviations above the mean, that's pretty decent, i must say.

a burke/vinehout or vinehout/burke ticket would probably get the job done with some breathing room to spare.

presumably barrett is not considering? any recent polling on how he would stack up? mmes vinehout & burke may both be preferable, however.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Mr. Levitan, stop ducking the question, yes or no, "without her wealth would Mary Burke even get a passing glance to be a candidate for governor?"

I think you need to start a Vinehout for governor thread... or do you prefer Walker?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Right now the big question is can she campaign effectively? That's something we just don't know until we find out. Nobody can predict how the public will react to a candidate in real time, nor how any candidate will handle the realities of dealing with the public on a large scale.

I still think a primary is the best training grounds, as well as providing extra time to attract swing voters. I'm not getting much company on that. Why not?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:Right now the big question is can she campaign effectively? That's something we just don't know until we find out. Nobody can predict how the public will react to a candidate in real time, nor how any candidate will handle the realities of dealing with the public on a large scale.

Exactly my point. Most politicians have already established a decent political history long before they consider running for a major statewide office. Burke's election experience comes down to spending more of her own money then most people earn in a year to win the lowest tier political office one can aspire too.

snoqueen wrote:I still think a primary is the best training grounds, as well as providing extra time to attract swing voters. I'm not getting much company on that. Why not?

Because the Wisconsin Democratic Party leadership are a pile of fucking idiots who don't seem to grasp that that they've been screwing the pooch for at least the last 3+ years?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: Most politicians have already established a decent political history long before they consider running for a major statewide office.

The senior senator from Wisconsin?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote: Most politicians have already established a decent political history long before they consider running for a major statewide office.

The senior senator from Wisconsin?

It's almost as if I used the word "Most" for a reason...

Johnson rode the tea party surge into office. I haven't seen anything comparable forming in opposition yet, and if the DNC and the Wisconsin Democratic party do the same stellar job getting out the vote as they did in 2010, Burke is going to do just as well as Barrett did. Both times.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 pm

snoqueen wrote: I still think a primary is the best training grounds, as well as providing extra time to attract swing voters. I'm not getting much company on that. Why not?

I agree with you in terms of a primary being beneficial. Is the company you're not getting just on the Forum or just in general? I ask because I don't recall seeing very many posts here arguing that there should not be a primary.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 pm

rabble wrote:Does it negate her qualifications?

Her business and philanthropic qualifications are not all that impressive to me given her family background. In fact given the behavior of Chris Abele here in Milwaukee (who has a similar background), I'm actually more concerned by them.

please elaborate (about abele)

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm

I don't think you can diss Burke for her Harvard MBA or her undergrad degree from Georgetown. Hell, it's pretty classist to insinuate that without her family money, she'd have gone nowhere. She didn't buy her Board of Ed seat either- she ran against a dude who could barely articulate his positions and had no clue how the school district was run (he was a very nice guy though). None of this makes her any more qualified than anyone else, but crap, she isn't some sorority floozie either. Neither Georgetown nor Harvard are a walk in the park academically. And yeah, compared to Deputy Dawg Walker, she's the fucking Wizard of Oz. Then again, so are some of the corpses in the morgue.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Re opposition to a Democratic primary:

I'm not talking about on the forum necessarily, though Levitan comes to mind.

Paul Fanlund at the Cap Times doesn't want a primary, which surprised me. The Cap Times is statewide media. Several blogs I follow don't want one, others do. But the biggie is the state Democratic establishment, which most certainly does not.

It might be lack of money, but so much money in politics right now is private. The Ds would do better to hustle some of the larger potential donors and give the candidates the extra time to introduce themselves and develop a following. You can be sure the Republicans are out there hustling.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:49 am

When and where did I say I was against a primary?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”