Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am

DCB wrote:In the latest ad wars, Walker is attacking Burke for her role at Trek. I can only conclude that Walker doesn't understand how businesses work.

My guess is that Scott Walker doesn't understand how employees work, as he only ever works for himself, regardless of his employer.

Mary Burke did what was best for Trek while employed by Trek; I expect she'd do the same for the state of Wisconsin.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:Unfortunately the average person's eyes glaze over when confronted with a paragraph full of numbers.
All the ad has say is, "Scott Walker borrowed $560 million to "balance" the budget in his first budget, and is borrowing over $2 billion in his current budget. Wisconsin's debt has increased. Scott Walker looked Wisconsin in the eye for 4 years, and lied about balancing the budget. What else is he lying about?" Or something like that....

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 am

Very good television ad. Who put it together? The Burke "fairy fail" ad that is

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 am

npler wrote:Very good television ad. Who put it together? The Burke "fairy fail" ad that is

Why do you hate the truth?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Latest Marquette Poll shows Burke and Walker in dead heat

Walker leads 46% to 45% while among likely voters Burke leads 47% to 46%. Among independent voters Walker still leads but it's dropped from 49%-40% in May to 45%-44%

Good signs for Burke:
Walker's job approval rating dropped from 49% to 47%
Walker has higher unfavorable views than favorable 47%-45%
She has closed ground in several areas since the last poll (Likely voters, independent voters and overall voters)

Things that Mary Burke should worry about:
54% of polled voters think the state is headed in the right direction
66% of polled voters think Walker gets things done
50% of voters don't have an opinion favorably or unfavorably about her. She isn't getting her positions and name out there enough apparently and we are three months roughly from the general election.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:66% of polled voters think Walker gets things done.

I also believe Walker get things done. The wrong things.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

Not every voter is a die hard grouchy old teacher's union supporter Henry. You don't care if he is effective. You don't like his policies.

Being effective will win some independents who care less about specific policies. It's not the stat the Burke should worry about the most by any means, but if this does turn out to be a close election every little bit helps.

The stat that I think has to worry team Burke is that most of the people polled(well, about half) don't know enough about her to know if they like her or not. Walker's unfavorable views tie pretty close to the number of people saying they are voting for Burke. That's not showing a lot of support for Burke, that's showing a continued dislike for Walker. I don't see that being any better for her than it was for Barrett.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:54% of polled voters think the state is headed in the right direction

It is, despite Walker.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Not every voter is a die hard grouchy old teacher's union supporter Henry. You don't care if he is effective. You don't like his policies.

I'm not the lone ranger.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 pm

wack wack wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:54% of polled voters think the state is headed in the right direction

It is, despite Walker.

Agreed.
The article does bring that possibility up but it's still not a stat that is going to help Burke convince voters that she is a better choice.

Henry Vilas wrote:I'm not the lone ranger.

I know Henry, everyone you talk to every day has exactly the same view of Walker that you do. Besides Ned of course.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:56 pm

I've got very conservative in-laws. And I assume you have very conservative co-workers. Didn't you mention that you work at a Milwaukee bank?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Used to, just changed jobs and I don't know the group well enough yet to say. Oddly my co-workers at the bank were slightly more liberal than the human services non-profit I worked for prior to that. IT field is odd I guess.

Sorry, but your lone ranger comment was stupid. Obviously many people share the view point that Walker's policies suck. There are still a good number that support or don't care about the policies. If someone isn't all that interested in specific policies, but do want an effective leader, they may have the view that Walker is one. That's why that number is an issue.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:18 pm

The same group of polled Wisconsites that said Walker gets things done (66%) also evenly split between supporting him and his opponent. It looks like many others think Walker gets bad things done. Thus my not a lone ranger comment.

Yet you think it's stupid to think so.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The same group of polled Wisconsites that said Walker gets things done (66%) also evenly split between supporting him and his opponent. It looks like many others think Walker gets bad things done. Thus my not a lone ranger comment.

Yet you think it's stupid to think so.

No I think your comment was stupid.

Not being alone in your thinking is not the same as a majority agreeing with you.

45% of those polled think favorably of Walker and 47% think he is doing a good job (so 2% think he is doing a good job, but just don't like him).

On the other hand 66% of those polled think the state is going in the right direction. While those polled were evenly split on who they support in the election, I don't think it is a reach to presume that the 47% whom approve of the job Walker is doing also think the state is going in the right direction which would make up a strong majority of that 66%. Which means that while you are probably not alone in thinking the the state is getting better despite the job Walker is doing (and I know you aren't because I agree with that opinion), the majority of the people who think the state is getting better probably credit Walker to some extent.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Not being alone in your thinking is not the same as a majority agreeing with you.

Did I ever say that?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”