Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3421
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:48 pm

gozer wrote:and why should there not be a primary? not a very healthy thing for the party if there is not one.


That presumes the Democratic Party of Wisconsin is in good health. The fact that they have focused their attention on a candidate capable of doing a good deal of self financing might lead one to believe that Act 10 had exactly the expected effect on the party's finances.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
gozer wrote:and why should there not be a primary? not a very healthy thing for the party if there is not one.


That presumes the Democratic Party of Wisconsin is in good health. The fact that they have focused their attention on a candidate capable of doing a good deal of self financing might lead one to believe that Act 10 had exactly the expected effect on the party's finances.

Who said there shouldn't be a primary? Fine with me if one occurs. In fact, one would think it would sharpen the skills of the winner, as well as provide some much-needed name recognition. If the party doesn't want one, too bad. A large part of the reason we're in this current mess is that the state party has been led by nitwits.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:08 pm

So far the polls show the both Burke and Vinehout have a good chance. Let them fight it out in a primary for the Dem's nomination.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:34 pm

any chance of a primary challenge to walker? after all, there once was a thriving anti-thompson faction of the party -- he got only 79 per cent of the vote in the 1998 primary, but then again, those were the good old days . . .

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7482
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So far the polls show the both Burke and Vinehout have a good chance. Let them fight it out in a primary for the Dem's nomination.

That's gotta give pause to the Walker machine.

"The good news is, nobody knows who she is."
"What's the bad news?"
"She's two points behind you."
"Maybe we should cut property taxes again."

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Madsci » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 pm

I think a primary is a very good thing for all (only two major parties at this point in time).
On a personal level I need the practice since the spring primary will be my first time working the polls.
Will the dude who looks like Abe Lincoln run against Walker again?

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:56 am

Mary Burke on Trek outsourcing here.. Bottom line - Trek employs more Americans than any other bike manufacturer, employs about 1,000 in Wisconsin with annual payroll of $50 million. Works for me.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 pm

rabble wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:So far the polls show the both Burke and Vinehout have a good chance. Let them fight it out in a primary for the Dem's nomination.

That's gotta give pause to the Walker machine.

While Walker might pause, right wing money bags will spend millions attacking any prospective Democratic candidate.

Prepare for an 'onslaught of negative advertising' in Wisconsin

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7482
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:While Walker might pause, right wing money bags will spend millions attacking any prospective Democratic candidate.

Prepare for an 'onslaught of negative advertising' in Wisconsin

That might work. It also might backfire in their faces like it did with the last two presidential elections.

Now that the Walkerbackers have "given him a chance to prove himself" which was their hue and cry during the recall, we'll see how much good it does to throw money at him this time around.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:48 am

It is looking more likely that there will be a Democratic primary.

Kathleen Vinehout making moves to run for governor

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1554
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby david cohen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Can anyone envision a Burke/Vinehout or Vinehout/Burke ticket?

Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:36 pm

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Aubrey McFate » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:38 pm

david cohen wrote:Can anyone envision a Burke/Vinehout or Vinehout/Burke ticket?

That would have to involve one of them backing out of the race for the governor slot on the ticket and deciding to instead run for the lieutenant governor slot. I don't see Burke doing that, but depending on how the campaigns go between now and the time nomination papers are actually circulated, I could possibly see Vinehout bowing to the inevitable (if a Burke primary victory appears inevitable at that point) and switching tacks. However, it seems to me in that case she'd probably decide she's better off running for reelection to the Senate. She would certainly have more power (if successful in November).

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Aubrey McFate wrote:
david cohen wrote:Can anyone envision a Burke/Vinehout or Vinehout/Burke ticket?

That would have to involve one of them backing out of the race for the governor slot on the ticket and deciding to instead run for the lieutenant governor slot.

The party primaries are just for the governor's slot. The lieutenant governor running mate is then chosen by the nominee (at the party's convention), prior to the general election.

Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:36 pm

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Aubrey McFate » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The party primaries are just for the governor's slot. The lieutenant governor running mate is then chosen by the nominee (at the party's convention), prior to the general election.

That may be true in other states, but in Wisconsin, the party candidates for Lieutenant Governor are elected in primaries. Think Rebecca Kleefisch v. Brett Davis in 2010, or Barb Lawton v. Kevin Shibilski in 2002. The upshot is that a gubernatorial candidate's running mate in the general is not necessarily who he or she would have preferred.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for correcting me. I forgot about the lt. gov. being on the primary, probably because it's an inconsequential position (unless a vacancy occurs). I remember when the governor and his lieutenant could have been from opposite parties, back when that position seemed more important.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests