Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 am

Soros should butt out. And Burke doesn't need to go near this. It's a news story that the media is doing a fine job handling. Better to keep it that way then give any impression it's a partisan attack. Go through the info. Catalog the questions that haven't been answer but keep that bottled up until late in the campaign.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm

I'd respectfully disagree. Hit your opponent hard, in his/her weakest spots, and don't let up until election day is over. That's how you win these days. A state-wide race isn't a Madison-style race where we use kid gloves and treat each other with respect. I understand that the media is pushing this story along, but the media is the same media that endorsed this asshat TWICE. The Wisconsin Dems played far too nicely the last go around. I'm hoping a third party starts airing "personal responsibility" ads SOON. I get the idea that Mary Burke shouldn't run ads like this so soon because it might taint her, but if you want to win, you gotta play hard ball. YMMV.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Here's the problem. The more Sorors or whomever runs those add, the less effective they will be. Unless they can actually point to legal charges against Walker, sooner or later people are going to stop caring. Let the press run with it as long as they can keep interest then let it go. No need to cry wolf right now.

If it comes to a point when it's needed, Burke should be the one who does it, just not this early or in an excessive manner. Make comments that the media picks up on and runs with.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 pm

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:07 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Here is something that Burke can use: Wisconsin inThirty five years ago?come gap widening faster than nation as a whole

Henri, are you saying that a widening gap in income since1979 should be blamed on our current Governor? That 12 year old bad boy, named Scotty, already had his mojo working?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 am

Maybe if Walker had kept his promise to add a quarter million new jobs in Wisconsin, the gap would have started to close.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Here's the problem. The more Sorors or whomever runs those add, the less effective they will be. Unless they can actually point to legal charges against Walker, sooner or later people are going to stop caring. Let the press run with it as long as they can keep interest then let it go. No need to cry wolf right now.

If it comes to a point when it's needed, Burke should be the one who does it, just not this early or in an excessive manner. Make comments that the media picks up on and runs with.

I completely disagree with this position.

Wisconsinites are salt of the earth people.

The same reason that people didn't vote against Walker in the recall is the same reason those people will vote against him IF the general public actually understands what these e-mails are saying.

The Scandinavian and German stoic society doesn't like bullies and hates assholes. Walker has come across in bold letters that he is both.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:58 pm

As an add on, when my Waukesha in-laws, who put the Scott Walker Christmas card on their refrigerator, start backing away from SW there is a serious problem.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:41 pm

HawkHead wrote:...

Wisconsinites are salt of the earth people.

The same reason that people didn't vote against Walker in the recall is the same reason those people will vote against him IF the general public actually understands what these e-mails are saying.

The Scandinavian and German stoic society doesn't like bullies and hates assholes. Walker has come across in bold letters that he is both.
Gotta agree with that. Unfortunately we're a bit more infiltrated with nonsense from and inaccurate corporate media. But yeah, "Salt of the Earth" for sure...

I think Mary has a chance if she presents herself in a compelling way. I think the biggest problem is that she has to overcome the illusions created by the media that endorsed Walker that he balanced the the budget, or that his policies created jobs, etc.

People vote their wallets for the most part, and don't mind a bully as much if they think he's doing the right things.

But our rankings for economic growth and jobs are at the lower end, so she has a good chance if she appeals to the "Salt of the Earth" in a pragmatic way, and she's already doing that. It'll be interesting to see if she builds on it now over the summer...

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Maybe if Walker had kept his promise to add a quarter million new jobs in Wisconsin, the gap would have started to close.

Hanker, you're starting to sound like a scratched disc on your Gramophone. Walker has already admitted he has failed in that goal. Move on before you pop an aneurysm.
So, do you really believe Walker is responsible for the past 35 years? And just what you think our Ms. Burke can use from this article to help her get elected. These questions assume she is running against Walker. Just typing "250,000 jobs" "yaddy,yaddy," doesn't count as an answer.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Why is Wisconsin behind the rest of the nation in job development and economic growth? Don't blame the past thirty-five years. Things have gotten a lot worse for the average Wisconsite during Walker's first (and hopefully last) administration. But I'm sure you will be voting for him, despite those facts.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Well Burke's first major political ad didn't quite clear the honesty hurdle..

Poorly thought out attack imo. Even Henry's constant "Where are the 250,000 jobs" mantra is a better attack then making the false claim that unemployment has risen under Walker.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Yep Burke sure WHIFFED on this one. Hell, she made Walker actually look right! Rookie campaign ad....very rookie:(

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 pm

So where's the PolitiFact check on that last RGA ad -- the one that tried to make the Commerce Department under Mary Burke sound suspiciously similar to to Scott Walker's WEDC and (as I recall) counted every job lost from the time Mary Burke took office to the end of Jim Doyle's term as somehow being on Mary Burke's head, and every job that Trek created overseas as a job that should have been created in Wisconsin, whether that made sense for the business or not? And, of course, totally ignoring the jobs that Trek actually has created in Wisconsin that are still here (a number that the Burke ad highlighted, of course).

Maybe I'm just getting a little goofy from all the half-truths, spin and portent that now seems to be the norm for these sorts of ads but it seems to me that the Burke campaign ad was pretty much a point-by-point answer to the RGA ad (though without the pointless scary semi-obscured graphics -- I did appreciate visual simplicity and some light for a change!). The Burke ad was pulling the same apples-to-oranges comparison that the RGA was (random stat from Doyle administration vs. random stat from Walker administration, no national context or concern about time frames involved, all credit/blame to chosen savior/target) but Burke gets called on it and RGA gets crickets? Because...?

On thing I did appreciate about the Burke ad, once I figured out where the apples unemployment figure was coming from, is the reminder that the new normal really isn't very good compared to the old normal. Back when the unemployment rate was hovering at 4.8 I thought the State really should be doing more to attract and develop business in Wisconsin. Now at 6.7 with no plan except to have the Lieutenant Gov cold call out of state businesses and hand out money to Republican campaign donors I've got to say that 2005-2007 is looking pretty rosy in retrospect.

[ETA: Found PolitiFact on the RGA ad -- http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2014/mar/05/republican-governors-association/republican-group-ties-wisconsin-job-loss-mary-burk/

Funny how when RGA repeats cooked stats that PolitiFact has already judged as "Mostly False" all they get is a little slap on the wrist. Just more of that "Mostly False" garbage. 'Cause, gosh golly, they all do it. Keep those lies going 'round and round. I guess Mary Burke isn't part of that club, yet (or ever, I hope). A good thing, to my mind, but not great for scoring look-the-other-way, oh-I-guess-it's-all-right PolitiFact ratings. *sigh* ]
Last edited by Zoti Bemba on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:So where's the PolitiFact check on that last RGA ad

Fair enough: it rated mostly false

The issue with the Burke add wasn't that it was compared apples to oranges, so much that it actually stated that unemployment had gotten worse under Walker. While providing a comparison between when Burke left the government employ and Walker's current numbers which ignores that all of the job loss took place before Walker took office. The "pants on fire" rating came because the statement about increased unemployment under Walker was completely false. It's actually a stupid stat for Burke's campaign to use since Walker can even claim a far more improved unemployment rate under his administration then Burke can claim during her tenure where the rate stayed about the same (which at under 5% is fairly expected).

On the other hand, the RGA add's claim itself was not false (Burke worked for the Doyle administration that left the state with 47,313 less job) but ignored the fact that during Burke's tenure state had an overall job growth of around 55,000.

It's a fine line, but the difference is Burke made a direct statement that was patently untrue while the RGA made a true statement that was mostly meaningless given other facts. That it was the RGA getting the "mostly false" tag versus Burke's campaign that get's the "pants on fire" rating isn't a good first start if you want to convince voters you have more integrity then your opponent.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”