Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Burke should bring up the recent train derailments in Wisconsin. Because of the cold weather, those poorly maintained rails failed. Caladonia had one with many coal cars going off the tracks and now another in Janesville has blocked downtown streets. When Walker turned down the billion or so federal bucks for passenger rail, those railbeds (which also carry freight) were not upgraded. That was where most of the billion would have been spent.

Funding for trains was one of the biggest issues in the 2010 election and Walker didn't seem to be harmed by it then. Not sure why you think it would suddenly be a winning subject for Burke.

Running as the anti-Walker is shitty game plan for Burke. He has enough people who think he's doing ok to keep office. She needs to find new ways to define the debate and show that even if you think Walker is doing OK, she can do better.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Does that mean she shouldn't bring up Walker's broken promise of a quarter million new jobs in Wisconsin?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Does that mean she shouldn't bring up Walker's broken promise of a quarter million new jobs in Wisconsin?

imo, yes. The list of people who actually care about that specific campaign promise probably has close to 100% overlap with people who voted against Walker twice already.

Instead she should spell out how she plans on increasing the rate of job growth in the state and detail why her plan will be more effective than the actions Walker has taken.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Bruce Murphy has an opinion piece in this week's Isthmus that counters your advice for Burke. He thinks a centrist approach is too timid.

Ten points where Gov. Walker is vulnerable

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Bruce Murphy has an opinion piece in this week's Isthmus that counters your advice for Burke. He thinks a centrist approach is too timid.

Ten points where Gov. Walker is vulnerable

Good read. I don't think it counters what I said at all though. She can and should hammer Walker on the issues listed without being the anti-Walker. Focus on her solutions and why they would work/work better, not on what his solutions have been and why they don't work.

Her biggest strength is her business experience. It's definitly not her political experience. So she needs to talk and act like a business person, not a politician. Sell herself and her plan.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 am

Burke is painting Walker as a "career politician." I like that approach, especially coming someone in private business, who actually has created jobs.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:59 pm

I want to believe this isn't some contrived scheme to mess with voters

But honestly, I can't
Burke, formerly an active Republican, is a Town of Hudson resident, and chairman and a recent founder of the Libertarian Party of Pierce-St. Croix, the Herald says.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:18 pm

So Walker wants to attack Mary for what happened under Doyle. IMO, this would be a good response to that.

"I don't know if Governor Walker understands this, but I worked FOR Jim Doyle. He made the major policy decisions. He was in touch with his staff and went out of his way to make sure that he knew what was going on in his office, unlike Mr. Walker who says he had no idea about the illegal campaign soliciting despite almost everyone in his office knowing about it according to the John Doe investigation."

Move the words around a bit, but something like that.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 am

That would be a mistake. The last thing Mary Burke needs to do is to emphasize that she worked FOR others, whether it was Doyle or her father.

She needs to show leadership and she can't afford to be anti-Walker. I think she needs to throw a bone to the conservative base and admit she would do the same thing as Walker on some issues.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:50 pm

bdog wrote:That would be a mistake. The last thing Mary Burke needs to do is to emphasize that she worked FOR others, whether it was Doyle or her father.

She needs to show leadership and she can't afford to be anti-Walker. I think she needs to throw a bone to the conservative base and admit she would do the same thing as Walker on some issues.
good point. I don't think she'll have any problems throwing bones to the right wing with her business experience.

I think it's important to not let Walker swift boat her though, in part because that's all he really has. It's great that she's already talking about the debt/structural deficit. I think that's a bigger deal than most people realize because once more people understand that the "balanced budget" is actually lie*, and that he fudged the jobs numbers, there's not much left of him other than the John Does. It's simply unbelievable that everyone in his office knew about the email system, including his closest confidants, except him. It must be that people just don't care about that if he balanced the budget. But I would definitely come up with a response though, even if it's low key.

"Although I made recommendations, Doyle made the major policy decisions. He ran the ship, and knew what was going on in his office, which, if we're to believe Mr. Walker, he's not really in control of his own office."

There's probably a better way to word that depending on what the situation calls for...

Barrett was almost purely combative without offering many of his own plans. Mary's already offering plans so I think she's safer as far as a having a response that points the finger back at Walker.

* I say it's a lie because he deferred the payments for his first set of loans in 2011/12 off to the future. The loan plus interest was $714 million originally, but since the payments were deferred, the interest would be even higher. No only that, but if we're to believe the DOA's CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Fiscal Report), then the debt has gone up $800 million anyway plus another $144 million in corporate tax breaks in his 1st 6 months before the 6-30-2011 CAFR came out, for a total of $944 million in new debt under his policies. The scary thing is that Walker's appointees create the CAFR, and they've already been caught lying, or fudging the #s. They lied about the debt as outlined here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... t-deficit/

And they were somehow "accidentally" off by $1 billion in their revenue #s for a year.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 pm

She needs to start running ads tomorrow all about Scott Walker's lack of personal responsibility:

"Scott Walker knew his election team was campaigning on taxpayers dollars in violation of Wisconsin state law, yet he failed to take personal responsibility for their actions. Is this really the type of person Wisconsin deserves?"

Show the email on TV. Show Kelly R. in court. Show Tim Russell's face. Do it NOW, Dems.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 am

Dave, she should wait. Walker is in a world of self-inflicted hurt, and the media is pushing the story along. She should stay out of the way,not divert attention. There will be plenty of time come fall. Not now.

Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby Maggie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am

Stu Levitan is absolutely correct. Mary Burke should just stay out of the way and let nature take its course. The Walker scandals are a slow acting poison. She doesn't have to do a thing.

Now would be a good time for her to release a comprehensive plan for creating more jobs in Wisconsin. She should focus on the future not the past.

It kind of cracks me up how everyone, including me, thinks they can run her campaign better than she can. I have concluded that we have to get used to the fact that Mary Burke is going to run her campaign the way she sees fit. Personally, I think she is doing a pretty damn good job, although it was mistake not to meet with Obama. But people will forget about that...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:20 am

I too think she should wait it out, with several comments:

-- she shouldn't appear to be furthering the pack-of-jackals behavior people are seeing in state government. She wants to position herself as a balanced leader who can help draw the state back together once elected. Fat chance of that given the behavior of Republicans nationally and statewide, but she's got to maintain the appearance especially this far out.

-- the Democrats need to quietly collect all this Walker-related material and be prepared with a strong narrative, documentation, and an aggressive campaign if needed. While we can hopefully imagine Walker will self-destruct like Chris Christie (with help from the media), we can't be entirely passive. Things can change fast.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 am

snoqueen wrote:-- the Democrats need to quietly collect all this Walker-related material and be prepared with a strong narrative, documentation, and an aggressive campaign if needed. While we can hopefully imagine Walker will self-destruct like Chris Christie (with help from the media), we can't be entirely passive. Things can change fast.

That seems to be going on already, although not that quietly.

Soros-backed group pores over emails as it targets Walker

Cue Ned's attack on George Soros.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”