Screwing the middle class and everyone else

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Screwing the middle class and everyone else

Postby david cohen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 am

I'd never heard of this item that was slipped into the latest Walker budget. I bet you hadn't, either. So now they can run up your medical bills for their profits and take it from your estate after you die, even with a surviving spouse and/or a trust. I know the GOP hates the probate process but holy cow. I can see that legislative conference now, where the hospital industry cries about how they lose money when a Medicaid recipient dies, and the GOP says not to worry, we'll just take it from their real property/spouse/trust and bypass probate court! I bet other creditors will just love this one.

http://www.postcrescent.com/viewart/201 ... caid-debts

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Screwing the middle class and everyone else

Postby peripat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:29 am

A little conflicted about this... maybe the family rather than society as a whole should pay this bill, and certainly it has happened in the past. I remember a family story about a grandmother who had surgery in the 1930s when they were young & broke, and the state recovering the costs from the estate when she died in the 1960s. It would certainly be less obnoxious if we restored the estate tax and taxed large estates heavily so everyone had to share the burden.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Screwing the middle class and everyone else

Postby david cohen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:28 pm

We pay into Medicaid for a reason. I think this most recent GOP maneuver will come back to bite them on election day..if anyone is paying attention, of course. This reeks of ALEC.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”