Why all the hype about speed limits?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why all the hype about speed limits?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am

lukpac wrote:Slower truck speed limit = less intense crashes but more of them?

Be curious to see how many of the slower truck incidents are cars running into the back of trucks? And if that's the case, even with more accidents, are the fatalities lower?

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:36 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:If you're singing a protest song and driving 75 mph in the Rotunda, my guess is it's not the song that you are getting pulled over for.

Oh, sure, they'll come up with some bogus excuse, like not having a permit or blocking the hallway or being a threat to public safety. Though I'm sure you've noticed that there is no speed limit posted anywhere in the Capitol Building so it seems to me that 75 mph is just as good as any other speed. They only enforce it when you sing about Scott Walker.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 am

Just follow the money. How can a/some Republican(s) make money from this?

The "common sense" understanding of speed limits suggests that lowering the speed limit would increase revenue for the state, so that isn't it.

My guess is some wealthy conservative donor just bought an ambulance company, opened their own emergency care center, or became involved in some other endeavor which profits from highway accidents.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 pm

wack wack wrote:Just follow the money. How can a/some Republican(s) make money from this?

The "common sense" understanding of speed limits suggests that lowering the speed limit would increase revenue for the state, so that isn't it.

Are you sure? Higher speeds result in added fuel consumption, which in turn increases fuel tax revenue.

I think it's motivated by two things: the first is that they noticed that Illinois just increased it's limit to 70. The second is that the increase is likely to be popular, and what politician doesn't like to propose things that are popular?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

gargantua wrote:
wack wack wrote:Just follow the money. How can a/some Republican(s) make money from this?

Are you sure? Higher speeds result in added fuel consumption, which in turn increases fuel tax revenue.

I was thinking of enforcement, and the fact that a small change downward would produce little change in behavior but huge potential income.

Do higher speeds increase fuel tax revenue significantly? I wonder which would have a greater impact. I'm far too stupid and lazy to do the research and run numbers myself, hopefully JFH will show up soon to help out.

gargantua wrote:The second is that the increase is likely to be popular, and what politician doesn't like to propose things that are popular?

Seriously? How about an entire political party, including an entire body of the federal legislative branch and their complete disregard for public opinion?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

wack wack wrote:
gargantua wrote:The second is that the increase is likely to be popular, and what politician doesn't like to propose things that are popular?

Seriously? How about an entire political party, including an entire body of the federal legislative branch and their complete disregard for public opinion?

Plenty of people still think the GOP has their best interests at heart. If your going to fuck people over, giving them meaningless little treats like a higher speed limit is a great way to distract them while you do so.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am

I loved the reasoning of the rep from Manitowoc (Tittl?) So many people live far away from their job and commute an hour or more each way. It will save them time.
Last time I looked most people chose where to live and where to work. If you want to live an hour away from work, don't complain, it's your choice.

Similar arguement made when my employer moved from the east to west side of Madison. Sure, I could have eaten the expense of moving to be closer to work in order to save time commuting but I don't want to live on the west side.

I aired up my front tire so I'll be safer driving 75 in the rotunda this afternoon. :P

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:16 am

msnflyer wrote:Last time I looked most people chose where to live and where to work. If you want to live an hour away from work, don't complain, it's your choice.

So very true. If only people actually behaved that way, but they don't. They buy a house near an airport and complain about the noise. They live near a railroad and complain about train whistles. And, they live out in the suburbs and complain about the commute. People: you gotta love 'em.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:50 am

msnflyer wrote:I aired up my front tire so I'll be safer driving 75 in the rotunda this afternoon. :P

Just be sure to cover up your bumper stickers or they'll cite you for driving a sign into the Capitol. Any excuse, I tell you, any excuse!

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:07 pm

msnflyer wrote:Last time I looked most people chose where to live and where to work. If you want to live an hour away from work, don't complain, it's your choice.

Oddly I lived in Madison and got a job in Milwaukee, so I moved to Milwaukee, then got a job in Madison. I didn't mind the commute too horribly though. Where else besides the Rotunda and the interstate can you go 85-90 MPH safely? Now I live and work in Milwaukee and the commute is short but mind numbingly dull (even though it is all on the interstate).

gargantua wrote:People: you gotta love 'em.

Why?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

In the early 70s when I was learning to drive, the speed limit was up to 70 on the freeway in Milwaukee. I still remember the first scary merge, what a rush! At least they still had drivers ed. That was back when you could fill your gas tank for a few bucks.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”