DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7709
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:16 am

rabble wrote:
gargantua wrote:How come nobody wants to answer Bludge's point about weed? Is it OK to drive while you're really stoned?

No.

But, is it okay to drive a week or a month after you got really stoned? There's a case going through the courts right now that says if you test positive you're under the influence, period. Don't have time to go hunt it down but it's out there.


I would say it's OK to drive as soon as you're not stoned anymore. The positive test issue is very troubling. I think if you can pass a field sobriety test, you should be good to go. I mean, being in a condition in which you can safely drive is supposed to be the point, isn't it?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby penquin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 am

People who haven't smoked pot often falsely assume it is just like getting drunk. And people who make the laws falsely assume that one puff off a joint impairs judgement for weeks afterwards.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9601
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 pm

penquin wrote:People who haven't smoked pot often falsely assume it is just like getting drunk. And people who make the laws falsely assume that one puff off a joint impairs judgement for weeks afterwards.

The DA in this case admits there is probably no impairment days later. She is making the case that this is the letter of the law. I assume she's making a name for herself by taking it through the courts, over the ruined lives of a few nobodies who got caught.

I agree that the makers of the law were leaning toward zero tolerance at the expense of common sense.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Beyond all that about sobriety tests and how many days since you smoked pot, the issue is, who's to say how stoned you really are?

Scenario: you (driver) haven't smoked pot in a week, but the guy sitting next to you (passenger) reeks of pot. Cop pulls you over. Smells the pot. Even if you pass the sobriety test, it's his call if you're "impaired". He's under quota at the end of the month, decides it's better to give you a ticket (and probably arrest you) and see if you can defend yourself, since basically, what does he have to lose anyway? It's your life, not his. When you are tested, your recent THC exposure shows up in your system. When you get the court, all the judge knows is you got pulled over on a hot Saturday night in a car that reeked of weed and there's THC in your system. If you're an immature kid with not much in terms of legal support, nor a real sense of what they're about to do to your life, how is that going to turn out for your innocent ass?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby Detritus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Bludgeon wrote:When you get the court, all the judge knows is you got pulled over on a hot Saturday night in a car that reeked of weed and there's THC in your system. If you're an immature kid with not much in terms of legal support, nor a real sense of what they're about to do to your life, how is that going to turn out for your innocent ass?

That depends. Do your pants sag? Do you live in a "bad" neighborhood? Or is your Pa the governor of Texas?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7709
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:12 pm

I have to call "strawman" on ol' Bludge there. Unless you can cite a case in which this scenario actually happened?!?

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 pm

gargantua wrote:I have to call "strawman" on ol' Bludge there. Unless you can cite a case in which this scenario actually happened?!?

Christ, when does it not happen? That's exactly how police operate. Like a football team that doesn't leave points on the field on purpose, LE doesn't leave money on the street if they can put it in their coffers. If they can get it, they get it.

Like I said I never even heard of pot DUI laws until I started meeting people who'd been given DUI's for marijuana. Don't take it from me, look up the law. It's up to the officer's discretion. Once you've been charged, it's your responsibility to try and prove you're innocent. They - the police and the county - are going to do what benefits them, just like the DA rabble was talking about.

Not only that, but it will be your 'first offense'.
Gordon Gano wrote:"This will go down on your permanent record."


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests