DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DUI Laws and the Milgram Experiment.

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:00 pm

So it's gas chambers or sunny skies is it? Just those two extremes and nothing in between? The truth in Madison is this blind support of devastating and ever more devastating drinking laws is all just a matter of drug snobbery - weed > alcohol. So we should totally legalize pot at the same time we criminalize driving while 'under the influence' of... weed? Great policy.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Bludgeon wrote:So it's gas chambers or sunny skies is it?

umm...
Stebben84 wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:gestapos and gulags.

And using terms like this make you sound like a fucking moron. As soon as you make these comparisons, anything you said is thrown into the toilet as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by jman111 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Bludge, Wisconsin is still the only state that doesn't criminalize a first time DUI. What do you have to say about that?

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm

jman111 wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:So it's gas chambers or sunny skies is it?

umm...
Bludgeon wrote:gestapos and gulags.

I get sick of how dense the stodges on this page can be. Like Stebben, they're either completely oblivious and blind to the nuances of this subject, or they see nothing but hyperbole.

Subject: DUI's for weed - ridiculous; also, hypocrisy.

Subject: DUI's for BAC under the legal 0.08% limit - ridiculous, also these are very serious penalties being levied out to people who are essentially not drunk.

Subject: Under the guise of and in the name of 'keeping the streets safe', complacent and uninformed members of our communities enable severe prosecution of essentially innocent people, said to be committing what are ultimately victimless 'crimes'.

Wake up.

"Vilas wrote:Bludge, Wisconsin is still the only state that doesn't criminalize a first time DUI. What do you have to say about that?

Good. After all, you can actually run into something with your car when you're sober and that's not criminalized.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Bludge, Wisconsin is still the only state that doesn't criminalize a first time DUI. What do you have to say about that?

Good.

Yet you compare Wisconsin's DUI laws with Nazi Germany.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Bludge, Wisconsin is still the only state that doesn't criminalize a first time DUI. What do you have to say about that?

Good.

Yet you compare Wisconsin's DUI laws with Nazi Germany.

I get sick of how dense the stodges on this page can be. Like Stebben (and Henry), they're either completely oblivious and blind to the nuances of this subject, or they see nothing but hyperbole.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:23 pm

You are the one using hyperbole. Do you even know what that word means? While you are at it, look up ad hominem.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:25 pm

You don't even know my stance on the subject asshat. I'm sorry, but anyone who uses a Nazi reference for anything other than talking about Nazi's is the dense one.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:You are the one using hyperbole. Do you even know what that word means? While you are at it, look up ad hominem.

See - you recognize the hyperbole, yet you choose to respond to it as if it is not hyperbole - which is 'convenient'. Hyperbole is to make a point by using exaggeration. Lazy debaters like yourself (sometimes) and Stebben, prefer to treat with an exaggeration as if it's something else, it's just a lazy way to make the argument what you want it to be, rather than something you have to think about - a habit I detest.

You asked, I answered - I think the idea of criminalizing a first offense DUI is grotesque. Moreover I think the other measures we've enacted are far and beyond grotesque.

Your turn. What do you think of:

Subject: DUI's for weed - ridiculous; also, hypocrisy.

Subject: DUI's for BAC under the legal 0.08% limit - ridiculous, also these are very serious penalties being levied out to people who are essentially not drunk.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Subject: DUI's for BAC under the legal 0.08% limit - ridiculous, also these are very serious penalties being levied out to people who are essentially not drunk.

This probably goes along with your argument, but it swings both ways.

drunk (drngk)
v.
Past participle of drink.
adj.
a. Intoxicated with alcoholic liquor to the point of impairment of physical and mental faculties.
b. Caused or influenced by intoxication.

You can actually be drunk with a blood alcohol level less than .08. I know people that after 1 or 2 drinks get way looped out and shouldn't drive. They probably would blow under a .08. It's a person's ability to handle it that matters. That's why they have sobriety tests along with breathalyzers.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am

How come nobody wants to answer Bludge's point about weed? Is it OK to drive while you're really stoned?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 am

gargantua wrote:How come nobody wants to answer Bludge's point about weed? Is it OK to drive while you're really stoned?

No.

But, is it okay to drive a week or a month after you got really stoned? There's a case going through the courts right now that says if you test positive you're under the influence, period. Don't have time to go hunt it down but it's out there.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 am

Well, okay- as far as I know there really isn't a test- other than looking at you- to determine if you're driving stoned, all they can determine is that you have smoked at some point though it may have been a week or two ago, and for that reason any DUI for weed is totally bogus.

You, however, know when you are stoned. As I recall - and it's been a while- the main thing weed did was destroy my depth perception and make me silly. Everyone told me I'd get used to the depth perception thing after a while, didn't happen before I decided that wasn't my favorite way to be.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am

I'd agree that it's BS to use a drug test to determine who is driving stoned for the reasons enunciated above. It's also BS to claim that driving stoned is no big deal. The strength of pot today is such that it can be mildly hallucinogenic. Sure, folks build up a tolerance at some level, but it still causes impairment. Come down, then do your beer and munchies run!

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:21 am

Words cannot describe what a relief it is that someone actually took the time to notice the pot DUI question, but I'd be remiss not to point out the tremendous amount of leeway officers have to escalate this situation into a life changing citation if desired, and the tremendous amount of incentive tax starved municipalities have, to escalate.

I realize it's kind of a new thing now but I've already met a number of people who have lost their means of transportation for just this very reason. The penalties are huge, and you could incur them just by being a scared kid who's naive enough to tell the truth when the bully cop is intentionally misleading you about the consequences of saying "yes", to smoking pot.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”