Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:In soccer that would be known as taking a dive.

Arthur's a flopper.

NEW YORK -- The NBA has set the league's anti-flopping disciplinary schedule to be used during the 2013 Playoffs, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Stu Jackson announced today.

"Flopping" is defined as any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player. The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

So they think they can arrest people for LOOKING? Good luck with that in court.

alpuz

Postby alpuz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:30 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:In today's WSJ, Walker said that too many people were making to much of the Solidarity Singers. Never mind that he replaced the Capitol Police Chief and made new rules, so he could give them maximum attention...

That sounds 'moderate'. Who's tacking, and why?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 am

Dale Schultz thinks Walker is using the SS for a deliberate distraction:

Some Republicans seem to have made a sport out of stomping on liberals, or perceived liberals. Schultz cites the crackdown on the Solidarity Sing Along at the Capitol.

“I think it is a sideshow designed to divert people from the real issues,” he says. “I mean, many days there weren’t even many people there anymore. Well somebody had to prove we could bang heads and we could rip their faces off and get ‘em in line, so they come in with the heavy hand and what’s the natural reaction? Ten times as many people showed up. Now, what did that solve?”

(the quote is Schultz)

Read the whole thing here. It's mostly about Schultz getting primaried in the upcoming election and not seeming to care: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 315a4.html

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:30 am

snoqueen wrote:Dale Schultz thinks Walker is using the SS for a deliberate distraction:

Some Republicans seem to have made a sport out of stomping on liberals, or perceived liberals. Schultz cites the crackdown on the Solidarity Sing Along at the Capitol.

“I think it is a sideshow designed to divert people from the real issues,” he says. “I mean, many days there weren’t even many people there anymore. Well somebody had to prove we could bang heads and we could rip their faces off and get ‘em in line, so they come in with the heavy hand and what’s the natural reaction? Ten times as many people showed up. Now, what did that solve?”

(the quote is Schultz)

Read the whole thing here. It's mostly about Schultz getting primaried in the upcoming election and not seeming to care: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 315a4.html

I think this summarizes pretty well why Kohl-Rigg's stunt was such a stupid move. The police are doing a fine job making themselves look heavy handed. There really wasn't a need to make it look worse, and now there's visual evidence (put out by the protesters no less) that some protesters are trying to create drama.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Observers warned not to be in vicinity of the Solidarity Singalong

Capitol Police continued to arrest singers in the rotunda Wednesday, but they also warned several observers that they had to leave or face arrest.

Norman Aulabaugh, of Orfordville, visited Madison as part of the Veterans for Peace convention Wednesday. As he filmed the noontime Solidarity Singalong from the first floor balcony, a police officer told him he could either leave the building or face arrest.

He told them he wasn't a part of the group, but police said anyone in the vicinity of the singalong was part of what had been declared an unlawful event.

"I'm angry," Aulabaugh later told reporters. "Being a veteran and having served my country, I can't even come into the Capitol. This is just atrocious."

Look like the capitol police will arrest them all and let the courts sort it out.

Would they have dared to do so if Ben Masel was still with us? Maybe his legal team can hep. Are civil suits on the way?

Lee B

Postby Lee B » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:58 pm

All this means is overtime for everyone. The CCP have earned huge overtime pay because of this.

I think the permit requirement is antiquated. Communications have exponentially increased in pace and the government has to keep up. You can't outlaw flash mobs. There is an app for that.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Back to Dale Schultz...

“I think it is a sideshow designed to divert people from the real issues,” he says.

I'm wondering, what people and which real issues? Is it really just meant to be red meat to Scott Walker's more bloody-minded supporters, as the next part of that quote (“Well somebody had to prove we could bang heads and we could rip their faces off and get ‘em in line...") seems to imply? Or are other things going on that we aren't paying attention to? Are liberals (and progressives, and moderates, and libertarians, and anyone who believes in open government by and for the people, for that matter) also targets for distraction?

The Solidarity Singers are always there, after all (and rightfully so!); the Walker Administration chooses whether, when and how to enforce the (very questionable and arbitrary) Capitol rotunda permitting rules. I keep wondering what important thing Governor Walker might be trying to slip by us while we're busy watching his little police state psycho drama.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I thought Schultz was referring to what's happening up north with the mine, but that doesn't mean Walker isn't doing a thousand other sneaky underhanded and objectionable things to distract us from.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Observers warned not to be in vicinity of the Solidarity Singalong

Capitol Police continued to arrest singers in the rotunda Wednesday, but they also warned several observers that they had to leave or face arrest.

A spokeswoman for Gov. Scott Walker's administration says police will not issue tickets to people observing protests in the state Capitol, even though they have been warned they are subject to arrest.

They have a video of a cop walking around informing everyone on the upper rotunda that they could be subject to arrest, just trying to inform everyone of the law ya know. Just helping everyone out by keeping them up to date.

Isn't that the same cop who made the photographer fall over just by putting his hand on him?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 pm

rabble wrote:Isn't that the same cop who made the photographer fall over just by putting his hand on him?

No. Stop profiling bald people.

(the guy walking around warning people is a Sargent, as opposed to Officer Syphard)

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:14 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:Isn't that the same cop who made the photographer fall over just by putting his hand on him?

No. Stop profiling bald people.

(the guy walking around warning people is a Sargent, as opposed to Officer Syphard)

Sorry. They all look the same to me.

Still, it was nice of him to wander around the entire ring informing people of their impending arrest so later someone could say they weren't actually going to do it.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 am

rabble wrote:Still, it was nice of him to wander around the entire ring informing people of their impending arrest so later someone could say they weren't actually going to do it.

Maybe it was a PR move. Think how happy all those people were to be not arrested for doing nothing wrong.

The One
Forum Addict

Postby The One » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 am

I'm still wondering what to make of this viva la resistance going on. On one hand, the crack down is brings the much wanted attention to a group of people who, unless you're at the Capitol all of the time, fell into the category of, "They're still there?".

On the other hand, this may work out very well for the Walker people. While you have people around here screaming of how this violates their rights, the SS are a ghost of the dramatic failure that was the Walker recall. They are now a tool of the Walker campaign that he can point at and say, "See these crazies? Is this who you want to hand over Wisconsin too?" The longer they keep it up, they will take away the thunder against Walker like the failure to create jobs.

I say keep singing you brave sons and daughters of liberty. You're doing more for Walker then any out of state donor could ever do.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:46 am

The One wrote:I say keep singing you brave sons and daughters of liberty. You're doing more for Walker then any out of state donor could ever do.

Can't shut 'em by arresting them or making fun of 'em. Ignoring 'em doesn't seem to work.

Maybe we can shut 'em up if we pretend they're actually helping Walker? I know it's a long shot but we've tried everything else. Maybe some of them will be stupid enough to buy it. What the hell. Give it a shot.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”