Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
athabasca

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby athabasca » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:44 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, these are very different uniforms than those worn by Chief Tubbs. Is there a backstory to the blackshirts?

You're not mistaken. This was Chief Erwin asserting his power to "upgrade the department's image." Cost the state some $26,000 to do. Officers can't wear beards or goatees anymore either.

In addition to the more intimidating outfits, the Erwin regime also was responsible for panic buttons being installed throughout the Capitol, as if the protesters were the ones bringing guns into the building...

Human

Postby Human » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:40 pm

rabble wrote:Actually I believe this was entirely State Troopers. No one seems to be making a big distinction out of that but the article says "Then I saw some state police officers move in to arrest a couple of the Raging Grannies, including my friend Bonnie Block."

To me this is an important difference. It seems as though the Capitol Police decided to ease off so Walker called in troopers to do the heavy lifting.

The Capitol Police are state officers, too, and I'm all but certain that they were the ones who arrested Bonnie Block and Matt Rothschild. I didn't witness those arrests, but I show up a little bit later, and the only cops I saw were CaPos.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
david cohen wrote:Has anyone even seen Capitol Police Chief Erwin during any of this? And if not, what does that say?

Not much of anything. Police chiefs not involving themselves in every day operations probably the norm.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic.
Because if you think this is normal...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:37 pm

During the big demonstrations the previous chief, Chief Tubbs, was out there every day for hours and hours not only leading his officers but talking to individuals and helping broker various agreements that protected people's right to assemble while maintaining a safe environment. He did a great job and is possibly the single biggest reason the activity stayed calm enough for even very little kids to attend, while few people (regardless of political leanings) were arrested.

Whatever you think of Chief Erwin, it's fair to say he is not following this model.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:27 am

Mad Howler wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:
david cohen wrote:Has anyone even seen Capitol Police Chief Erwin during any of this? And if not, what does that say?

Not much of anything. Police chiefs not involving themselves in every day operations probably the norm.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic.
Because if you think this is normal...

Not sarcastic, just sadly pointing out, that arresting citizens in the capitol is becoming a normal every day operation.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 pm

as of today they are beating AND arresting observers.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm

penquin wrote:Times like this make me wish Masel was still around.

Of course he'd be at the Capitol....probably with a group of 18 other people who call themselves "The Freedom Chorus", daring the cops to arrest 'em.

Ah Ben. I never knew him but did know who he was. RIP Ben. But actually that is a very good idea. Maybe different groups of singers could get about 15-18 of their friends together with matching t-shirts and sing -- each group singing different songs at the same time. Can they arrest people just standing in the rotunda with duct tape covering their mouth next to the singers? Another group holding the American flag? Organized chaos.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:39 pm

What's next for the Capitol "Police"? Fire hoses, attack dogs, and batons? Is Erwin bucking for another illegal raise on the state taxpayer dime? WEDC not only loses track of almost $60,000 of taxpayer funds but grants it's director a 50% pay raise? Now both Scott Fitzgerald and Scott Walker are working towards reinforcing the railroad line and RR car construction for the line between Milwaukee and Chicago after 2 years ago turning how many millions down for this expansion funded by the Federal Government? The Scotts say this project would be funded by State taxpayers. Anyone remember the stupid "choo-choo" rhetoric? The Joe Doe investigations, the lack of job expansion, the written vows of secrecy for the voting redistricting by GOP legislature... The lack of ethics in this administration is appalling and arrogant. And they just want Wisconsin people to shut up. Sorry but it looks like that's not happening.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm

After seeing the video last night I went down to the sing-a-long for the first time ever. No one was arrested except for a few signs that said "duck" and "goose". Not sure what that was all about. I thought the protesters were very well behaved, save for the guy who seemed like a drunk hobo screaming from the perimeter. I guess technically I'm on his "side" but I felt like clocking the jackass anyway.

My impression was that the Capitol Police either have balls of solid rock or heads full of marbles (or both). What an absolutely awful work environment. For anyone who's never made it down to the sing-a-long, I would encourage you to check it out some noon hour. It seems like there are usually about ten people following the police with cameras and phones as they walk their short beat. I'm sure that's why they only circle the rotunda once, then disappear and a new group comes out in a few minutes. If they were to stay in the rotunda I'm sure a scuffle would break out every few minutes.

I think I saw Mike Crute from the Devil's Advocates and definitely saw Matthew Rothschild moving about the crowd, though he didn't appear to be participating in the singing. There were several news crews there, probably because of yesterday's incident and a lot of "observers" from the ACLU. I got a kick out of the church-mousey woman who just followed the police around with a sign that said "don't tase me bro".

Overall, I'm not sure why the Capitol Police make such a fuss about the sing-a-long, though one visit probably isn't a fair sampling. It's been mentioned by other forons and I suspect there's some truth to the notion that the arrests may actually be feathers in Walker's Presidential cap. Nothing will woo Republican primary voters quite like a guy who "sticks it to the libs" and I guess that's what he's doing. Kinda.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Do others think you're an important protestor? Is picking fights with cops smart?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:36 pm

baked goods wrote:Do others think you're an important protestor? Is picking fights with cops smart?

Is that a really dumb question or a really bad haiku? I can't tell.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Maybe different groups of singers could get about 15-18 of their friends together with matching t-shirts and sing -- each group singing different songs at the same time. Can they arrest people just standing in the rotunda with duct tape covering their mouth next to the singers? Another group holding the American flag? Organized chaos.

They seem to have been arresting people for no reason whatsoever, so duct tape would probably be irrelevant. It already is organized chaos. There's no possible way anybody could apply for a permit for what's going on in there.

I think it's worth noting that while the Cap Police are arresting people for sassy talk, the city police who patrol State Street at night put up with that kind of shit all the time and give it all the attention it deserves, which is very little. They're dealing with actual public safety issues, which are close to absent in the Capitol. Perhaps overbearing police behavior is inversely related to actual levels of threat.

Now both Scott Fitzgerald and Scott Walker are working towards reinforcing the railroad line and RR car construction for the line between Milwaukee and Chicago after 2 years ago turning how many millions down for this expansion funded by the Federal Government? The Scotts say this project would be funded by State taxpayers.

Maybe that's what they're trying to distract attention from.

If this is a way of making Walker look more grandiose to the teapers in time for the next presidential election, I've got a feeling he's behind the curve. That movement is falling apart as we speak, and has become an embarrassment/encumbrance to both the corporate wing of the R party and to its more politically-realistic wing as well. With that and the collapse of the "block Obamacare" nonsense, by 2016 he's going to look like a real dinosaur.

Footage and some hard-to-hear interviews from today's session is here:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... f887a.html

Several of the cops are starting to look stressed. Some may think their assignment is righteous, but others are (understandably) looking like it's starting to get to them. How many will resign or get sick/sick leave? The continual camera-using from every possible angle is a remarkable tool.

And I can see the sense in people wearing their bike helmets in the Capitol, goofy as it looks.

I know some of the attenders and arrestees, and I keep asking them what are their reasons for demonstrating. Interestingly, everyone's reasons are somewhat different, though they're all rooted in disgust and vexation over Scott Walker's behavior.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Do all of the arrests happen when the demonstration first starts? I was there from maybe 12:10-1:00 and I didn't see a single arrest. Or maybe you have to be circling around watching for them.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:57 pm

pjbogart wrote:After seeing the video last night I went down to the sing-a-long for the first time ever.

Welcome to the dark side, you civil disobedient you!

No one was arrested except for a few signs that said "duck" and "goose". Not sure what that was all about.

I believe it's in reference to the childhood game Duck, Duck, Goose and is meant to be a comment on the total randomness of who gets arrested on any one day, or not. Everyone's a "duck" until they are chosen by the Capitol police officers (whom I guess are always "it"); the selected person then flips their sign around to become a "goose."

I've been an occasional participant in the Singalong (it reminds me of summer camp, and the echo of some of the Civil Rights songs from the dome is just wonderful!) but I have to admit I haven't been since last October, when the four person rule was still in effect. Partially because I can't afford to go to jail for justice for various reasons, but also because the amount of scrutiny I got from the "just observing" (at that time) cops (since I wasn't a regular and they didn't know me), kind of weirded me out.

Hats off to those who have kept the Singalong going and responded to the latest tactics with patience, humor, and even firmer resolve!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”