Who should the Dems run against Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who should the Dems run against Walker?

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Warren Stephens, the chairman and CEO of an investment banking firm in Little Rock, Arkansas, who gave Walker a $10,000 contribution on June 24, affirms this.

"Well, it's pretty simple," Stephens says. "He [Walker] seems to be doing things that governments need to be doing. Frankly, I think he's kind of on the front lines of that as it relates to other states."

Stephens says he does not normally give money to candidates in other states, adding that his company does not do business in Wisconsin. He finds it fascinating to watch Walker "take on the challenges that he has and, you know, survive."

The two men have never met, but they have spoken by phone. That was after Stephens last year took advantage of the suspension of usual contribution limits for a recall race and cut Walker a $100,000 check.

"He called me to thank me," Stephens recalls. "I thought that was very nice of him."

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 am

I've been impressed with Mary Burke. She puts her own money where her mouth is, something Walker can't and hasn't done. EVER. But that tool is happy to put other people's money where his mouth is (not that I want to actually know where Walker's mouth has been!).

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:28 pm

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Words fail me.

Not to worry. I guarantee it won't last long...enough.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Soon he will adopt Charlie Sheen's "Winning" slogan.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:15 am

Hulsey's got his convertible. Now all he needs is his Louise.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 am

david cohen wrote:Don't forget that Schultz is being contested in his own primary by the right wing of the GOP.

It looks like Schultz might already be conceding a loss in the primary.

The last moderate: Dale Schultz might be on his way out of the Wisconsin Senate

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:11 am

Henry Vilas wrote:It looks like Schultz might already be conceding a loss in the primary.

The last moderate: Dale Schultz might be on his way out of the Wisconsin Senate

That isn't exactly what I got out of the article:

If Schultz, who voted to bar gay marriage a decade ago and is opposed to abortion except for cases of rape and incest, chooses to run for reelection, he would be in a similar situation as Panzer. That’s why many believe he either won’t run or will lose badly. Although his district, which leans slightly Democratic, is a very different beast than Grothman’s solidly red section of southeastern Wisconsin, the GOP primary electorate will not be moderate. It is unlikely conservatives will forgive Schultz’s prominent displays of dissent from the governor.

But Schultz doesn’t buy the conventional wisdom.

“Without a doubt I’ll win,” he says.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 am

Then Schultz needs to raise a lot more money for the primary race, since his likely opponent already has a bunch.

Faced with a daunting primary race next year in which most insiders consider him the underdog, the veteran legislator has hardly bothered to raise any money to match his opponent, state Rep. Howard Marklein, R-Spring Green. In the most recent reporting period, Schultz reported raising a meager $684 compared to Marklein’s $94,000.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:46 am

I'm not sure Schultz needs to raise a ton of money. He already has name recognition, and sounds like he is a good fit for his district. The important thing in the primary will be for him to get out his vote.

I am waiting and hoping for the adults in the room (mainstream voters) to wake up, get involved, and take their government back. Maybe it starts in Dale's district.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:51 am

All politicians say "of course I'm going to win." It's a standard reply.

I wondered what else he had up his sleeve, since he seems uninterested in going head-to-head with his primary challenger. A run as an independent? Jumping to the other party? A change of career? He doesn't seem to be planning his retirement, if he just gave such a lengthy and thoughtful interview to one of the state's main media sources.

The voters eventually have to start thinking once again, but it's my belief this won't happen until they can actually see and feel, on an individual and personal level, the hurt from too much program-cutting. I thought it might come with the loss of public schools, but it might be something else and it might be a bunch of things depending on who's voting.

This will be interesting to watch.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:04 am

snoqueen wrote:A change of career?

Wonder if he's thinking about running for Governor.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:31 am

Burke getting advice from Barrett

Hopefully it's not advice on how to actually run a statewide campaign

Interestingly Baldwin seems to be trying to stay out of the conversation.
"I'm in communication with her as well as many emerging Democratic leaders in the state," said Baldwin, a first-term Democrat who received $5,000 in donations from Burke last year.

"What I see is folks who are in their decision-making phases right now," Baldwin continued, "whether they're folks who are to run for the state legislature or potentially something else."

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Hopefully it's not advice on how to actually run a statewide campaign

Hopefully she's talking to him and using it to find out what not to do.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:08 am

Baldwin is smart to stay out of it at this early stage. Her political capital is too valuable to spend prematurely on someone who might not run at all or who might not prove to be a viable candidate for some good reason.

That said, I have to add I've met Mary Burke several times. Her presence is surprisingly similar to Tammy Baldwin's -- friendly but not pushy, able to make good personal contact, balanced, and articulate. If she decides to campaign, I'd give her consideration based on the impression she would present herself well, at a minimum. Of course there's a lot more to running for statewide office, and a lot we don't know yet.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”