Erpenbach: not helping

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Re: Erpenbach: not helping

Postby Bert Ernie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm

bdog wrote:
jjoyce wrote:If the governor is making the appointment, then it's a political appointment. Signing a recall petition is a political act. A kid who wants to be the student regent is what we referred to in college as a "gunner."

I bet most of your "gunners" were pretty damn bright and strong were they not? Probably even able to stand on their own two feet against real live adults.

Not Inglett according to Erpenbach. He got "picked on" because he was just a college student. Would Erpenbach have used "picked on" if it wasn't a college student appointment? Heck no.

Wow. Just wow. (For Rabs)

Who is Meade?

What is your position on what the governor did with this bdog? The attack on Erpenbach seems somewhat petty and self-serving. I'm confident you understand what the true gist of Erpenbach's message was. What do you feel about the governor's actions in this instance?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:46 pm

I think what Walker did was probably petty and self serving.

Erpenbach should have found a better way to point that out.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Quibble.

You like to post definitions of words you are unsure of. Look that one up.

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:17 pm

bdog wrote:I think what Walker did was probably petty and self serving.

Erpenbach should have found a better way to point that out.

So you are really in complete agreement with Erpenbach's point. But you rather choose to nit pick and focus on a small piece of his message that you feel is vulnerable. And there, my friend, is precisely why I don't much like THIS version of GOP politics.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Bert Ernie wrote:So you are really in complete agreement with Erpenbach's point.

Absolutely not. Erpenbach had plenty of ammunition to go at Walker but no, he had to embellish it, he had to make out Walker to be the bully, "picking on" the weak college student.

It's Hulsey-style political grandstanding.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 pm

So, exactly what harm did it do?

Why is it more important to analyze the text of Erpenbach's protest than it is to denounce or defend Walker's actions?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Quite on the contrary, I see it as yet another demonstration Walker is a small-minded hyperpartisan with no human side to speak of. Here's what blogger James Rowen had to say about the incident:

Basically, this was a small embarrassment suddenly offering Walker an opportunity to put sharp-edged partisanship aside, throw his arm around a student who is half his age - - a teenager at the time of the petition signing - - and say, 'son, I'm going to give you a second chance to give me a second look.'

But Walker couldn't set aside his basic humorless and one-dimensional identity, so tossed the opportunity away by withdrawing the student's nomination.

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot ... issed.html

Erpenbach, who just called the guy on his behavior, is not the story here. It's a Walker story, just as Rabble says. Don't deflect.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Nope, Erpenbach made it both a Walker story and now an Erpenbach story.

Was it really not bad enough already? Apparently not. Erpenbach had to manufacture the bully angle. He loses credibility.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 pm

rabble wrote:So, exactly what harm did it do?

Why is it more important to analyze the text of Erpenbach's protest than it is to denounce or defend Walker's actions?

The harm is it makes Inglett look weak, just because he's a college student.

It's not more important, it's less important. But I felt it needed to be said. Believe it or not I figured you good people would cover the Walker story.

alpuz

Postby alpuz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Uh, no it doesn't. Why do you think it makes the kid look weak?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes it does. "picking on a college kid"?

Just refering to him as a kid does it. Do you think Inglett would not be offended if he made it in and the other regents referred to him as a kid?

alpuz

Postby alpuz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Nope. Why do you?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:41 pm

You're right, it didn't make him look weak and Walker was not being petty and vindictive.

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 am

bdog wrote:
rabble wrote:So, exactly what harm did it do?

The harm is it makes Inglett look weak, just because he's a college student.

It's not more important, it's less important. But I felt it needed to be said. Believe it or not I figured you good people would cover the Walker story.

So you're worried about Inglett here? You're horrified someone made him look weak? Ummm...really? Aren't YOU weakening Inglett by feeling you need to be his champion? Why do you get to decide whether he should be offended or not? Come on! You don't care about Inglett one iota. And you'd already conceded you agree with the substance of what Erpenbach was getting at. Why not just say Walker was foolish to withdraw this nomination?

Feigning concern for others in the interest of making a political attack or forwarding a predetermined ideology: another reason I don't much care for this version of the GOP.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 am

Bert Ernie wrote:So you're worried about Inglett here? You're horrified someone made him look weak? Ummm...really?

Worried? Nope. horrified? nope. Those are your strawmen, I'll leave you to address them. I'm just making an observation.

And you'd already conceded you agree with the substance of what Erpenbach was getting at. Why not just say Walker was foolish to withdraw this nomination?

As I pointed out before, the SUBSTANCE wasn't good enough for Erpenbach. He had to manufacture something else. Something that he thought would "sell". I'm not buying it.

Why is there this constant need by the left to embellish things? Don't call Walker on the facts, throw a Hitler mustache on him!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”