Four more years!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Four more years!

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 am

kurt_w wrote:Paul was first elected to the council in 1968, right? and mayor in 1972? I wonder what Madisonians back then would have thought if you'd told them he would be mayor in 2014.

fred risser would have called him a young whippersnapper

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 am

gargantua wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Question for today -- What one thing did Paul do during any of his terms as mayor that you especially liked, or especially disliked?

Even though he lost, he fought like hell to keep the MATC campus in the downtown area. And this is more than one thing, but I think he's done a better job than other mayors in managing the city's finances, and the city's services are delivered more effectively in his administrations.
My recent favorite - Edgewater is being done without $19 million plus worth of TIF,

Those are all good. I had forgotten about the MATC thing.

On the down side ... I was annoyed as heck when Paul resigned as mayor to run for Congress back in 1996. He bumped Gene Farley out of the race -- one of the nicest people you'd ever meet, and someone who would have made a truly great representative in Congress -- and then ran a lazy, uninspiring campaign that managed to lose to Scott Klug. And in the process we got Mayor Bauman. Basically, everyone was left worse off, including Sue Bauman, who was doing a more or less fine job as non-mayor up to that point.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:34 am

gargantua wrote:And this is more than one thing, but I think he's done a better job than other mayors in managing the city's finances, and the city's services are delivered more effectively in his administrations.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm

I've seen a lot of side streets that haven't been plowed at all since the last snowfall. It's pretty much just packed snow from people driving over it and some places have pretty annoying depth, almost like driving through sand at intersections. The main roads are clear, but today's warmth gave them a slushy quality that's about to freeze into rock hard ridges of ice.

I miss my Outback.

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

This guy has the nerve to say in the Journal of the Four Lakes Region in its 2008 issue that back in his glory days as the young "hippie mayor," he decided to sit in wait a couple years to prove he could run the city. He then got rid of "the good old boy network" that had been running the city. Maybe he's talking about good men who dedicated their entire lives to public service, like Bob Corcoran, Lowell Messerschmidt, and Forrest Bradley. Fine, maybe those guys were past their prime, and he should have had the right to get his own people in. But for crying out loud, don't dismiss entire careers to burnish your own image years later. These people have descendents in this fine city, and were here before you, asshole. Incidentally, he then foisted Andre Blum on the City of Madison for many years - look that up if you don't remember him. Soglin is a piece of shit and always has been. Maybe it's time to get rid of the current "good-old boy network" running this city.
Last edited by entretanto on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Soglin has been the most effective mayor Madison has ever had and your complaint is that he got rid of people who in your judgement were "past their prime"?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:56 pm

peripat wrote:Soglin has been the most effective mayor Madison has ever had

What is your criteria? What complaints do you have about his predecessors(before his first term)

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:59 pm

I said "maybe" they were past their prime. I was being charitable and trying to meet the S.O.B. halfway. Regardless, my complaint is that he dismisses entire careers with a single phrase, and that phrase "good-old boy network," almost seems to imply racism, or something very close to that. It's kind of a loaded phrase. Fuck him. I know better.
Some of us are aware of the true contributions of these men, and believe they deserve better. He can toot his own horn and burnish his own image without being an asshole about it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:04 pm

The mayor before Soglin was William Dyke. Prior to losing to Soglin he said something to the effect that the good people would vote for him. Guess there wasn't enough of them.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The mayor before Soglin was William Dyke. Prior to losing to Soglin he said something to the effect that the good people would vote for him. Guess there wasn't enough of them.

Didn't Dyke have a hot daughter? Not that she was a dyke, that was just her name.

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm

One of those people I mentioned is responsible for annexing between 25 and 30 percent of the land that now comprises this city. That land has subsequently been developed and earned millions in tax revenues for Madison. This was happening in the early 1960's while Soglin, by his own admission, knew nothing of Madison except the campus.
Ironically, as city officials in the Festge administration were trying to build up and do great things for the city, students, led in part by Soglin were diverting the resources of the city away from these efforts.
Hey, I would have probably been in the streets protesting too, I just can't help but note the rich irony of that.
Then to lump that man in as a "good-old boy..." I'll say it again - piece of shit.
Dyke...even bigger piece of shit.
How my dad worked for these assholes I will never know.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:27 am

Another hat in the ring?

There is at least one person who fits that description and, according to city hall insiders, is seriously considering a bid for the job: Ald. Scott Resnick, the 27-year-old who represents the student-dominated 8th Common Council district, the same one that a young Soglin represented in the 1970's.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”