Four more years!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Four more years!

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Average Joe wrote:Is Mayor Dave looking for a rematch? If I ever run into him I will apologize for my vote for Soglin in the last election. That was a mistake and I'm sorry.

Why was it a mistake?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:May be Sue Bauman can run again, if nothing else, she gives one hell of a concession speech.

I'm not sure who would be worse, Bauman or Soglin again. I guess Bauman since she is to blame for the Monona Terrace and Overture tax burdens.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm

Soglin has brought fiscal order back to Madison and things are going pretty well, IMO.

Unfortunately, though, he's gone off on this Judge Doyle Hotel thing I think is a big mistake. I back Ald. Ahrens in his opposition on economic grounds. I want to see downtown development continue but only when it can succeed without heavy city subsidies. The downtown is not a wasteland, it's some of the most valuable real estate in Wisconsin. Developers and banks should be falling all over themselves to put up reasonable-sized buildings that can pay their own way down there. I'm not sure the convention business has the solidest and soundest prospects over time.

If a credible mayoral candidate appears who will stand against this hotel or at least scale it back, they've got my vote. If it's Soglin vs Dave or Mark Clear, Soglin has my vote but reluctantly.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:48 pm

Clear was my alder until they re-drew the districts. Based on my interactions with him during the time he was my alder, I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher.

Soglin hasn't been ideal, but like sno I'd vote for him if the other choices are Clear and Dave.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:26 am

Henry Vilas wrote:When asked if he will run for reelection in 2015, Paul Soglin said yes. Da Mayor will be seventy then. And will (former) Mayor Dave oppose him and give up his plushy job with Isthmus?

he is the one referred to as "mayor chucklehead" in that culture beat song, is he not?

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:01 am

I agree with Sno, the two proposals for Judge Doyle Square are a complete boondoggle. They should be rejected.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 am

Paul was first elected to the council in 1968, right? and mayor in 1972? I wonder what Madisonians back then would have thought if you'd told them he would be mayor in 2014.

Question for today -- What one thing did Paul do during any of his terms as mayor that you especially liked, or especially disliked?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:11 am

I don't much care for the University Ave freeway. It's like a large swath of scar tissue on the face of the isthmus.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

The University Ave/Campus Drive stretch, bypassing Old University, was built circa 1965, before the Soglin Era.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

It was part of a big revision of traffic patterns all over downtown Madison, which included the Gorham-Johnson one way pair, and Packers Avenue (to serve Oscar Meyer, one of the city's biggest industries at the time), and more. The original plans for all this date to 1962.

Eastwood Drive, however, was I believe added during Soglin I because east siders felt they deserved a counterpart to the University Ave bypass.

The University Ave freeway is truly an example of facilitating and encouraging sprawl. Because it was a state highway for much of its history (Hy. 12 and more) all that can't be blamed on any Madison city administration.
Last edited by snoqueen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 am

State street is a perverse compromise analogous to the facade appliqué on the Overture Center. It's not a pedestrian mall and it's not a conventional city street.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Totally agree. Maybe you were replying the first iteration of my post right above yours, which unfortunately I revised because I couldn't figure out where I wanted to go with it.

The State Street mall is this totally 1970s piece of urban planning and I think we really need to revisit the whole thing, but I can't decide what would be better. Most other 1970s urban malls across the country are long gone, having reverted to regular streets.

I spent half an hour here trying to imagine State as one-way eastbound, all traffic not just buses, but I can't figure out how the connecting streets should run. It's not like the whole downtown isn't one-way streets already, and most of it works fine once you know how it goes.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:24 pm

kurt_w wrote:Paul was first elected to the council in 1968, right? and mayor in 1972? I wonder what Madisonians back then would have thought if you'd told them he would be mayor in 2014.

Question for today -- What one thing did Paul do during any of his terms as mayor that you especially liked, or especially disliked?

Even though he lost, he fought like hell to keep the MATC campus in the downtown area. And this is more than one thing, but I think he's done a better job than other mayors in managing the city's finances, and the city's services are delivered more effectively in his administrations.
My recent favorite - Edgewater is being done without $19 million plus worth of TIF,

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:47 pm

gargantua wrote:... I think he's done a better job than other mayors in managing the city's finances, and the city's services are delivered more effecareatively in his administrations.

I think his doom and gloom about Mayor Dave's borrowing habits were spot on. And he's dealt with the diminishing state contributions as best as one could in that position.

Regarding the freeway digression, there was once a plan to build a true elevated freeway through downtown Madison. It would have followed University Avenue from the west, diving down through the College Court area then through the Isthmus. Be very glad that that never came to pass. Madison is one of the largest cities to not have an elevated freeway bisecting it.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 pm

kurt_w wrote:Paul was first elected to the council in 1968, right? and mayor in 1972? I wonder what Madisonians back then would have thought if you'd told them he would be mayor in 2014.

i especially liked the way he fucked with phelps back in the day and the participation of his faction and their allies in the internal politics of the dane county democratic party.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”