The movement to destroy public schools

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby wack wack » Tue May 21, 2013 7:50 am

Meade wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Why is sex outside of marriage wrong for people of the age of consent? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

It frequently causes the objectification of women, girls, men and boys - and leaves them vulnerable to diseases, unplanned pregnancies, and emotional damage.

Yes, and rape is the victim's fault.

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Tue May 21, 2013 8:17 am

Igor wrote: As a practical matter, they do equate. There is no law forbidding union contracts from having provisions that would allow people to be terminated for non-disciplinary reasons, of course. But the reality is that many white-collar unions, particularly those with long-term employees, rank job security higher than salary in terms of importance. I can't imagine that any union would give that up. From their point of view, job security *is* "better contract terms".

Your self-imposed battle with the strawman continues. I don't remember mentioning a THING about unions? But you sure injected them into my position nicely....... I'm sure more is forthcoming. Carry on.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 am

How many times has it been said: Don't feed the trolls! Don't reward them with your attention. They write irritating, stupid things for the express purpose of evoking a response.

So when you answer them, you reward them. And I think you know it, so if they really annoy you that much you need to exercise the kind of self-control one would expect from a mature, intelligent, 60-something. I am really surprised and sorry I had to write that.

I don't want to revisit this and derail the discussion, but it's not always a matter of simply rewarding the trolls. Their own behavior is already self-gratifying (innuendo intended).

Instead, sometimes I think worthwhile ideas come out of confronting their nonsense (and it is nonsense -- I don't for a minute think most of our trolls believe everything they write or live offscreen in their screen persona). For instance, in the present instance we added sex education to the list of things we'd likely lose in school privatization. I hadn't thought of it before and it's definitely at risk if the ultra right takes over kids' education, along with science education, social awareness, and many other things the public schools do in a progressive and thoughtful manner.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 21, 2013 9:18 am

snoqueen wrote:For instance, in the present instance we added sex education to the list of things we'd likely lose in school privatization. I hadn't thought of it before and it's definitely at risk if the ultra right takes over kids' education, along with science education, social awareness, and many other things the public schools do in a progressive and thoughtful manner.

Sorry for your "loss".

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 am

Meade wrote:
snoqueen wrote:For instance, in the present instance we added sex education to the list of things we'd likely lose in school privatization. I hadn't thought of it before and it's definitely at risk if the ultra right takes over kids' education, along with science education, social awareness, and many other things the public schools do in a progressive and thoughtful manner.

Sorry for your "loss".

Oh yes, because this would never had happened if only the kids knew nothing about sex.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 am

wack wack wrote:Oh yes, because this would never had happened if only the kids knew nothing about sex.

No, but this would have never happened if only the public school sex ed teacher hadn't been given access to rape 13 year-olds.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 am

Meade wrote:
wack wack wrote:Oh yes, because this would never had happened if only the kids knew nothing about sex.

No, but this would have never happened if only the public school sex ed teacher hadn't been given access to rape 13 year-olds.

It also wouldn't have happened if the school had hired a non-predator. Another failure due to lack of regulation.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 am

Meade wrote:

Yes, wouldn't want health teachers cutting in on the Catholic church's territory.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am

What about the Chatholic school for the deaf in Milwaukee?

http://hbowatch.com/hbo-documentary-fil ... se-of-god/

If only the priest teaching the ten commandments didn't molest boys.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 am

You guys might want to start a separate topic: "The movement to destroy private Catholic schools."

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am

You brought the importance of the religious schools teaching morality into the discussion, perhaps you want to address how an orginazation dealing with serious moral issues is going to manage that. When it comes to addressing the issue of sexual assault, public schools win hands down over the Catholic church.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

Meade wrote:

It's pretty clear Larry has become completely unhinged at this point, but nevertheless, please explain how she was "given access to rape 13 year-olds". Or were you just randomly throwing out shit, as usual?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 21, 2013 10:08 am

Meade, did your God give access to these teachers to rape students, too?

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Tue May 21, 2013 10:21 am

Meade wrote:

Sorry for your "loss".

And...of course....things such as sexual abuse of children could never happen in an institution such as....I dunno....the Catholic church?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 am

Exactly how is keeping sex education in the curriculum related to preventing and prosecuting child abuse?

Empowering children to recognize and report abuse is part of a functioning program of child safety. In order to recognize abuse children must have age-appropriate sex education, which includes even the littlest children being able to identify what parts of the body are private. Children and youth also must have a clear path to safe authorities who will take them seriously and act on their behalf instead of, say, covering up for other staffers or protecting their own negative attitudes (as we saw recently in certain parts of the military).

See, it's all connected. If you take out one part -- sex education for children and adolescents -- the rest of it can't happen either. That's the sunshine principle in action. If you conceal or ignore human sexuality, if you fail to teach both a vocabulary and some basic rules nearly everybody can agree on, you reap the consequences of repression in highly unpleasant ways.

We'll never get to perfection, but if we have a free flow of information and a good protective network, we're better off than if we just issue prohibitions that get ignored and later, flouted and scorned.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”