Where are the jobs you promised, Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where are the jobs you promised, Walker?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Think that is covered already, but then this one is about jobs, not Walkers popularity.

As I said, his broken promise on job creation probably has something to do with the drop in his popularity. Do you disagree?

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Think that is covered already, but then this one is about jobs, not Walkers popularity.

As I said, his broken promise on job creation probably has something to do with the drop in his popularity. Do you disagree?

Actually, yes. My guess is the new abortion law he signed when no one was looking, as well as several aspects of the new budget he just signed probably had a far bigger effect on the 3% drop from May to July.

I also doubt highly that he's lost any approval rating for failing to meet a campaign promise as dubious (and stupid) as the 250K promise he made. I know you love to trot that goal out, but I think it's a safe bet anyone who is talking about him missing that goal was never counted in the approves of collumn anyway.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Same thing can be said about abortion. The religious right has been in Walker's camp since the beginning and I doubt that many who are pro choice voted for him.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Same thing can be said about abortion. The religious right has been in Walker's camp since the beginning and I doubt that many who are pro choice voted for him.

And amazingly there are people who don't fall neatly into those two groups. You don't think a massive invasion of a woman's privacy as well as a doctor's ability to perform their job might not have changed a few people from ambivilent to pro choice?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm

No, not really.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 pm

I think continually re-emphasizing an ill-considered, grandstanding campaign promise is a tactic that'll come back to bite. All campaigns have a few of these, and everyone knows the difference between campaign talk and actual governing.

And that's where Walker has fallen down. There is little job growth, the state lags its neighbors on so many indicators it's a joke, he's signed unpopular and even offensive legislation by the dark of the moon, and it's all starting to take a toll. He's a poor governor. Those who were not ideologues to begin with are starting to take notice.

So it's up to the Democrats to pick one or more competent candidates and run a competent, adequately funded campaign. They've not done well in the recent past. I'm not sure throwing money at them is the solution, either.

The funniest part is Minnesota, our twin and neighbor, is being governed by a Democratic majority and has passed progressive legislation satisfying to Minnesota residents, has good employment and growth numbers, and is moving ahead faster than most of its upper midwest peers. It's like a sociology experiment where Minnesota gets all these benefits and Wisconsin, the poor control group, gets nothin'.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:No, not really.

Yet you think this recent, statistically insignificant drop in Walker's popularity is attributable to his dismal job performance, which has been clear for well over a year now?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:41 pm

O.J. wrote:

Yet you think this recent, statistically insignificant drop in Walker's popularity is attributable to his dismal job performance, which has been clear for well over a year now?

OK, why isn't Walker's popularity growing? What are the big issues in Wisconsin that would affect that, especially since he is making waves on the national scene (at least among a certain segment of the population)?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
O.J. wrote:

OK, why isn't Walker's popularity growing? What are the big issues in Wisconsin that would affect that, especially since he is making waves on the national scene (at least among a certain segment of the population)?

Walker's atrocious record on job creation certainly plays a part, Henry, I'm just perplexed at your seeming unwillingness to factor in any other issue.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:51 pm

O.J. wrote:Walker's atrocious record on job creation certainly plays a part, Henry, I'm just perplexed at your seeming unwillingness to factor in any other issue.

Did I ever say jobs (or the lack of them) was the only reason? Reread my posts. I said it probably had something to do with it. Then FD jumped on me for that statement and said it was the recent anti-abortion law.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
O.J. wrote:Walker's atrocious record on job creation certainly plays a part, Henry, I'm just perplexed at your seeming unwillingness to factor in any other issue.

Did I ever say jobs (or the lack of them) was the only reason

No, but you were damn confident that the abortion bill didn't have any effect. And with that, I'll be leaving this silly debate.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

Did I ever say jobs (or the lack of them) was the only reason? Reread my posts. I said it probably had something to do with it. Then FD jumped on me for that statement and said it was the recent anti-abortion law.

Actually I said it was the anti-abortion law as well as several items in the new budget. All of which were signed between May when Walker's approval was at 51% and July when it dropped to 48%.

On the other hand the jobs issue has been ongoing for over two years now. During that time Walker's approval rating has been (slowly) averaging upward. So exactly why should we believe a sudden dip is related in anyway to this continuing trend, when Walker just made several major policy moves in a time frame that closely matches the time frame of the dip in his approval rating?

I'll give you this much; if the jobs numbers were significantly better Walker probably would have somewhat of a shield in that people are going to be more forgiving when the economy is doing well. But absent the new budget and the abortion bill I doubt the jobs numbers would have had any effect on his approval rating.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:29 pm

I thought this would be the best thread to note Walker's recent "achievements".

As noted before, he named one of the worst governors in the country.

Nate Silverrates him on of the most conservative governors.

And he is the most untruthful governor. Two years running!

Congratulations, Scotty!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 pm

It's one thing for Madisonians to point out Walker's failure to produce the jobs he promised, but when Rhindlanders up nort' say so, he wants those comments expunged. That craven move has now made national news.

Scott Walker aide's request that Rhinelander station remove jobs story gains attention

Return to “Local Politics & Government”