Wisconsin GOP wants lawlessness

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Wisconsin GOP wants lawlessness

Postby Beaver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Here they go again saying it's their way or no way as they trample the State constitution and every shred of decency.

Wisconsin GOP lawmakers want to limit impact of courts
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 38051.html

"With some of their major legislative achievements thwarted by the courts in the past two years, Wisconsin Republicans are advancing a bill that would limit the ability of circuit judges to block state laws for the long term."

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wisconsin GOP wants lawlessness

Postby Sandi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Here they go again saying it's their way or no way as they trample the State constitution and every shred of decency.

I agree, the courts shouldn't trample the constitution and every shred of decency.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Wait and watch. When the Dems are back in the majority, the GOP will cry foul when judges can't rule independently on the law. I love how these tools assert that higher courts will overrule lower courts, so why utilize lower courts? Well, higher courts have higher filing fees, for one. And what happens when a higher court rules a law is unconstitutional? Will these GOP douches pass a law to take away those courts' powers? It's a slippery slope and Fitzwalkerstan must have plenty of lube!

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 pm

I think even a right-wing court will reject this kind of legislation. It violates the separation of powers and seeks to elevate the legislature over the courts. Judges, even nutty right-wing judges, don't cotton to having their power reduced.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Sandi wrote:

I agree, the courts shouldn't trample the constitution and every shred of decency.

Except when you agree with them, of course.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:45 am

Sandi wrote:

Then neither should the legislature, right?
I think even a right-wing court will reject this kind of legislation. It violates the separation of powers and seeks to elevate the legislature over the courts. Judges, even nutty right-wing judges, don't cotton to having their power reduced.

Well, there's nutty right-wing judges and then there's the WI SC. That's a whole nother level.

I hope you're right.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”