Lanford v. St. John: Dane co Circuit Court judge

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Melissa Mulliken

Re: Lanford v. St. John: Dane co Circuit Court judge

Postby Melissa Mulliken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am

Actually, I am. Lived and worked in Madison for 20 years. But sometimes I misspell!

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Melissa Mulliken wrote:Actually, I am. Lived and worked in Madison for 20 years. But sometimes I misspell!

Uh-oh--now Henry's gonna ding you for sentence fragments. You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but....

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Shorty wrote:Lanford has degrees from UW-Eau Claire and UW-Madison. St. John has degrees from U of Chicago and Oxford. Aren't St. John's colleges more prestigious?

Two questions remain.

1) Shorty, do you work for the St. John campaign?

2) Are those who attend UW schools less qualified from holding elective office than those who attended so-called prestigious private colleges?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:57 pm

No, I've never worked for any campaign. As I said I was having a tough time choosing between these candidates, which wouldn't be the case if I worked for one of them. I'm surprised anyone would say I'm pro-St John based on my posts here. I thought I was fairly objective and neutral.

My education post was in reply to jonnygothispen who said Lanford seemed more intelligent. I wouldn't say UW grads are less qualified, but I'm having a hard time seeing Lanford as more intelligent than St. John. They both seem very bright.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Either one would make a fine judge imo. So this is a very rare case in which I'm undecided the day before the election.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Maybe we could have Lanford on odd numbered days, and St John on even numbers. Like Winter parking rules.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Shorty wrote:My education post was in reply to jonnygothispen who said Lanford seemed more intelligent. I wouldn't say UW grads are less qualified, but I'm having a hard time seeing Lanford as more intelligent than St. John. They both seem very bright.
Judging by which cases each felt were important: Lanford holds that justice in a judicial position is more important, and the reason why courts exist. Whereas St. John felt that technical procedure was more important than justice. In doing so, Lanford shows that she sees both sides and is intelligent enough to realize what's more important for a judge. Not that St. John was wrong to point out what she did, but it shows that she views court rulings thru a narrower lens...

Return to “Local Politics & Government”