Walker writing a book

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker writing a book

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm

HawkHead wrote:They will count that Walker wants to run for President in 2016 against him and may oust him in a regularly scheduled election in 2014.

You are talking about a minute number of people and you're only right if Mike Tate and Co. can field a credible opponent.

Let that sink in for a second.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:
HawkHead wrote:They will count that Walker wants to run for President in 2016 against him and may oust him in a regularly scheduled election in 2014.

You are talking about a minute number of people and you're only right if Mike Tate and Co. can field a credible opponent.

I completely disagree. Wisconsinites are hard working and practical. We are Norwegian, German, Polish, etc.....

We want government that works not gradstanding and locking people out of the capital. We want Friday fishfry and the ability to go to school, work hard and have a good living. Not drastic slashing of school budgets and school closings.

The 2014 race can be won IF the Dem canidate can frame the issues to our culture.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:04 pm

HawkHead wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

I completely disagree. Wisconsinites are hard working and practical. We are Norwegian, German, Polish, etc.....

We want government that works not gradstanding and locking people out of the capital. We want Friday fishfry and the ability to go to school, work hard and have a good living. Not drastic slashing of school budgets and school closings.

The 2014 race can be won IF the Dem canidate can frame the issues to our culture.

You would think Wisconsinites want that, but when given a chance to reverse course the past couple elections (including the recall) they have consistently voted against common sense and for total FitzWalkerstan control. The last chance at any sort of course reversal is April 2, in the state Supreme Court race. Any bets on how that's gonna come out?

Mike Tate is a clown who should have been fired years ago.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:12 pm

minicat wrote:You would think Wisconsinites want that, but when given a chance to reverse course the past couple elections (including the recall) they have consistently voted against common sense and for total FitzWalkerstan control. The last chance at any sort of course reversal is April 2, in the state Supreme Court race. Any bets on how that's gonna come out?

Mike Tate is a clown who should have been fired years ago.

Once again, Wisconsites were uneasy with the recall because we had recently voted Scott Walker in as Governor.

Also, Tammy beat Tommy in a race no one gave her a chance in and Klopenberg almost beat Prosser after being down 20 points a month before the election.

I am guessing that Rogensack will win because of the money issues and the other canidates inept campaign. How Rogensack not recusing herself in cases where her husband was envolved hasn't been on the airwaves over and over is horrible.

I have never met Mike Tate. I have no opinion on the matter.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm

These are things Democrats say to make themselves feel comfortable. But it's not the inconvenient truth, to borrow a line.

Contrast it to the soul searching going on in the GOP right now, with Reince Preibus convening panels of people who voted for Obama around the country to find out what they care about and how Republican candidates can connect with them. They're also following the Obama battle plan by opening campaign offices in targeted neighborhoods. Maybe it will amount to nothing, but it indicates some leadership in the form of brutal self examination and at least a superficial attempt to address some weaknesses. We've seen exactly this kind of adjustment from Republicans caving on gay marriage, many of whom are admitting that it's little more than a cynical attempt to find votes.

Do you think the state Dems here are doing anything similar to try and reverse their fortunes? Do you think there's a Mark Pocan going around recruiting candidates to run in Assembly races around the state, even in districts where they have little chance of winning?

Sorry for the skepticism, but I find myself completely incredulous at this notion that a very powerful governor who is only accumulating more power will somehow be weakened by writing a book and running for president. I find that idea ridiculous on its face, regardless of how many Germans or Norwegians live in Wisconsin.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Hawk, I think you need to take a step back.

HawkHead wrote:Also, Tammy beat Tommy in a race no one gave her a chance in and Klopenberg almost beat Prosser after being down 20 points a month before the election.

A. A lot of people gave Tammy a chance, including Republicans who opted out of writing checks to Thompson.
B. Races for judge, particularly those held in the midst of massive protests, are the exception, not the rule.

How Rogensack not recusing herself in cases where her husband was envolved hasn't been on the airwaves over and over is horrible.

So why aren't your hardworking Norwegians and Germans up in arms? Again, sorry to sound cynical, but I think your charming view of Wisconsin progressives is out of date and certainly not relevant in 2013.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:Hey, anybody remember when Tom Barrett used the phrase "I'm going to put Madison on a diet." multiple times?

Sure do. Ironically, it was after Walker became governor that my diet began.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:Hawk, I think you need to take a step back.

So why aren't your hardworking Norwegians and Germans up in arms? Again, sorry to sound cynical, but I think your charming view of Wisconsin progressives is out of date and certainly not relevant in 2013.

A step back from what?

My hard working Norwegians are stoic and don't complain. When they get to the voters booth they will make their voices heard. Also, I am not talking about progressives. I am talking about Wisconsinites. My wife is from Waukesha. Her family is all hardcore R but I heard a few interesting comments at Christmas this year.

My gun-toting, they'll have to do more than show up at my door to get my gun. brother-in-law said,

"We have been complaining that our 401(k) hasn't been growing the last few years so employees complained(a large portion is invested in the company itself). So last year our 401(k) grew by 8% but you know what my friends Jim and Steve were laid-off last year. My salary didn't go up and the CEO made millions. I don't want to be called a commie but how much does management have to make."

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Is it true that a primary difference between Norwegians and Germans is that Germans can hold their liquor?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Your Norwegians aren't very much like my Norwegians, who pretty much complain about everything, always.

(I'm half Norwegian).

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

jjoyce wrote:(I'm half Norwegian).

Dorsal or ventral?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 pm

jjoyce wrote:Your Norwegians aren't very much like my Norwegians, who pretty much complain about everything, always.

(I'm half Norwegian).

I am half Norwegian also. My other half has been here for over 245 years.

Mine is the first generation that all the relatives in that generation don't speak the mother tongue. I think only 3 of 9 do. Both sets of great grandparents on my mother's side came on the boat to the WELCOMING shores of America.

Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Leroy Gates » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Meade wrote:Is it true that a primary difference between Norwegians and Germans is that Germans can hold their liquor?

The Norwegians don't end up the next morning in Belgium.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Meade wrote:
jjoyce wrote:(I'm half Norwegian).

Dorsal or ventral?
This coming from someone who is well and firmly versed in such distinctions?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:47 am

was that a gay joke?

well, it was in my mind.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”