Bob Syring for Clerk of Courts

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

County Clerk of Courts?

Bob Syring
93%
Judy Coleman
7%

Total votes: 15

studentwonk

Bob Syring for Clerk of Courts

Postby studentwonk » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:13 am

Because Judy Coleman sucks that much and I can't stomach voting in the Republican primary.

http://www.bobsyring.com/

He seems to be "labor's" candidate - union member, endorsed by SCFL, and by leaps and bounds the most exciting candidate in this fall's democratic primary!

Scudder

Postby Scudder » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:21 am

Yeah, clerk of courts... I'm on the edge of my seat.

Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby Lynne » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:42 pm

But...but...the Clerk of Courts does so much! Like, um, they keep files! Lots of 'em! And they're pretty organized, too! And, um, you pay fines there!

In all seriousness, the clerk of courts is one of those local elections where your vote has a *huge* impact--especially in the primary--because how many people are really going to vote in the primary for clerk of courts? Yet the office really has a lot of power. The department oversees filings, a lot of revenue comes through there, there's staff attorneys, I think they deal with the law library in the courthouse, um...arraignment court...

I think Coleman has done a pretty good job, but man, proposing to cut the alternatives to incarceration program (which is run out of the clerk's office and provides bail monitering, electronic monitering, etc. and really cuts down on the jail population) was a big mistake (I remember a good Isthmus article on the domestic violence position in particular). Especially when followed up with trying to get the county to give her a raise--really foolish timing. And I hear that a lot of staff is pretty upset with her. Studentwonk, I'd be interested to hear what problems you have with her.

And what I'm mostly curious about is what Syring has to offer, other than being not-Judy. Although sources tell me that we can expect an article on him in Isthmus sometime soon...?

I'm such a local-election geek sometimes.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:07 pm

Lynne wrote:I think Coleman has done a pretty good job, but man, proposing to cut the alternatives to incarceration program (which is run out of the clerk's office and provides bail monitering, electronic monitering, etc. and really cuts down on the jail population) was a big mistake

What on god's green earth was the reasoning behind that? To cut costs??? You can't tell me it costs more to make someone piss in a cup once a week than it does to lock someone up 24/7?

I'm normally opposed to drug testing but at least they are getting harmless drug offenders and traffic violators out of the jails where they DO NOT BELONG.

Sure, I'll vote for Syring.

Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby Lynne » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:37 pm

Since that was during the county budget crunch, my guess is it was one of those "OK, if you're gonna make me cut that much money from the budget, I'm going to claim the only way to do it is to eliminate program [x], because everyone loves program [x], and that way you won't cut my budget and program [x] along with the rest of my budget will be saved" kind of ploys. My recollection is that the program was saved, with (relativly) minor personnel cuts, so maybe this was an effective ploy. It was just stupid to then ask for a raise.

I really don't know yet who I'll vote for. I'm just curious to find out more about the rumblings of unhappy employees that I've heard about.

bta

Postby bta » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:17 pm

Lynne wrote:I'm just curious to find out more about the rumblings of unhappy employees that I've heard about.

How about vision, leadership, integrity, advocacy, creativity and respect for staff.

http://www.bobsyring.com/issues.htm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:29 pm

bta wrote:How about ...
...a first post by a desperate campaign manager (if not the candidate)?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:46 pm

Lynne wrote:... one of those "OK, if you're gonna make me cut that much money from the budget, I'm going to claim the only way to do it is to eliminate program [x], because everyone loves program [x], and that way you won't cut my budget and program [x] along with the rest of my budget will be saved" kind of ploys. .... It was just stupid to then ask for a raise.

If this isn't enough to make you vote for the other candidate, what is?

Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby Lynne » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:37 pm

I'd just like to know enough about the other guy to make sure he's not worse, that's all.

Although I suspect I'll be voting in the Republican primary instead. I don't think anything else on the Dem side in my district is contested, and, well, I really want to see Greer on the ballot again...

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Steal this moneysaving idea

Postby bmasel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:20 am

Call misdemeanor defendants with a reminder the day before Court dates. Saves on dispatching the Sheriff's Dept warrant squad, incarceration costs.

I ran this before Hamblin, Falk, Blanchard 2 years ago, all agreed it was a good idea, but none have moved to implement. I actually got the idea from Chicago, Judge Luckman's clerk called me with a reminder before appearances in one of my 1996 Dem. Natl Cionvention arrests.

mole

GET RID OF COLEMAN!

Postby mole » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:59 pm

Lynne:
I would like to reply to your comment that you wanted to hear from Clerk of Courts Staff regarding problems within the office. I think that it is to your advantage to read the September 10, 2004, article by Bill Lueders, entitled "Mistakes were made" on pages 8 and 9. Especially take note of the lack of supervision by current Clerk of Courts, Judy Coleman, over her manager, Michael Alesch. Another poor leadership decision made by Judy Coleman that is bound to have a negative impact on morale and cost the county money.
The mole

mole

PRICKLY CLERK OF COURTS-JUDY COLEMAN!

Postby mole » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:23 pm

Lynne:
I wanted to let you know that the Opinion column of September 10, 2004, in the Wisconsin State Journal states that the current Clerk of Courts Judy Coleman's staff finds her "prickly." Even though they state the problems, the paper still plans to endorse her in the coming race due to her care for the taxpapers. Please! Could it be that they like her advertising dollars, or are they upset with the article (September 19) by Bill Lueders? How can a paper sell out after knowing and hearing the truth?
The mole

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Clerk of Courts radio interviews, TONIGHT 9/13

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:22 am

Hear from the candidates themselves as Judith Coleman and Bob Syring make a joint appearance on We, the People on Monday, Sept. 13, 5:15-5:45 pm, on Progressive Talk 92.1 - FM. Calls welcome at 281-0921.

Stu Levitan,
Host

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:29 am

Stu, you ought to encourage your employers to actually buy some advertising on these pages, otherwise we'll have to banish your posts to Hype Exchange.

As much as I like the show and wish to support what you're doing, the fact of the matter is that these posts are advertising, which has traditionally been frowned on here in Forum land.

Anyone else care to chime in on this?

statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:43 am

I was kind of wondering why nobody was saying anything about that. But rules seem to get ignored here if the poster follows the same political views as the moderator. If Sly had posted here daily advertising his next program it would've been pulled immediately instead of waiting a week or two. Not trying to be an asshole but I think that is an honest observation.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”