The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Meade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Ed Hughes wrote:Loumos may well be a nice guy, but as both an actual candidate and as a symbol he falls short for many reasons, not the least of which is that Wayne Strong is better qualified for the Board.

And as a current School Board member, I get pretty incensed at candidates who are running to further their own career – or, God help me, to advance the agenda of the national Green Party -- or to express their opposition to Scott Walker or anything other than to help us address the substantial challenges we face in preparing all our students for the world they’ll inherit.

Finally -- a voice of some reason and candor.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm

I think what has most folks that I know so irate is how Mrs. Manski denigrated the board seat she was campaigning for as some type of political stepping stone. Can anyone name the last MMSD School Board member who advanced to a higher office? It's pretty much a thankless, dead-end gig that also is very important to local public schools. I know Bill Clingan (and maybe Ray Allen, who I really liked) went on to other appointed gigs in state and local gov't, but in the past 20 years, no one has ever advanced to become a higher office holder.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:18 pm

david cohen wrote: ... Can anyone name the last MMSD School Board member who advanced to a higher office? It's pretty much a thankless, dead-end gig that also is very important to local public schools. I know Bill Clingan (and maybe Ray Allen, who I really liked) went on to other appointed gigs in state and local gov't, but in the past 20 years, no one has ever advanced to become a higher office holder.

I think Mary Burke could be a good candidate for Governor.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Mary Burke wouldn't need to fundraise either;)

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Westsidegal wrote:I have never personally met Dean. I have seen him preform poorly in candidate forums.

Those who are unable to perform correct grammar and spelling should be precluded from discussing who should oversee our schools.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 am

Average Joe wrote:Those who are unable to perform correct grammar and spelling should be precluded from discussing who should oversee our schools.

Fuck you asshole. It was obviously a typo.

But hey shithead, not everyone had wealthy daddies and mommies like you who could afford to send them to the Middleburys, St. Olafs, or Oberlins or whoever is turning out elitist liberal shits like you asshole.

Why am I not surprised that you think working-class low-educated folks should not have a say in who run their kids schools?

This is exibit number one of why minority communities are souring on white progressive elites in this city.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:This is exibit number one of why minority communities are souring on white progressive elites in this city.

I must have missed it when you were voted in as Voice of Minorities--but congratulations, anyway! May you perform as well as Meade (Voice of Feminists), John Henry (Voice of Disappointed Obama Voters), and, of course, Gozer (Voice of Reason).

Return to “Local Politics & Government”