School board race heated already

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Robert Godfrey

Re: School board race heated already

Postby Robert Godfrey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:28 pm

As anyone heard a conformation that Manski will be dropping out of the race because her husband Ben is moving and taking a job in California?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm

mifflander wrote:Do you really think spending 35+ hours a week in a Christian school only gets you half an hour a day of Jeebus talk? There are whole lot of teachers in parochial schools who love to infuse every class with their "Christian" values.

Are you aware that the perception among many African American families in Madison is that the choices available for their children, particularly for young men, is college or prison? And the high school graduation rate among African Americans in our city right now is something like 49%. So, 51% definitely aren't going to college.

I heard that today from an informed and highly credible source.

I don't know about you, but I know I've never faced that level of helplessness in my own life. Our city can do better, but our current fascination with political remedies is holding us back.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:Our city can do better, but our current fascination with political remedies is holding us back.

So giving vouchers to kids so they can go to parochial school is the answer? What makes them such better schools? I for one was a student of a parochial education in Kenosha and after transferring to public education realized how bad it really was. I realize this is anecdotal, but I've yet to hear a good case for why sending a kid to a private school is going to make any difference.

Do you think some kid is going to care more about going to class if it is a private school vs public. Sure, if Mommy and Daddy are forking out big bucks, they will. With a voucher it's free for the family, so if the kid doesn't have the motivation it's not going to do a damn bit of good.

It's as much an education issue as it is a socio-economic one. Private schools have higher graduation rates because the kids tend to come from financially stable families and that sure as shit makes it easier to achieve more in life. I realize it's not the only thing, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a really, really stupid rich kid who didn't graduate from high school.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It's as much an education issue as it is a socio-economic one. Private schools have higher graduation rates because the kids tend to come from financially stable families and that sure as shit makes it easier to achieve more in life. I realize it's not the only thing, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a really, really stupid rich kid who didn't graduate from high school.

It's not necessarily the financial stability so much as parents who have time and are willing to spend the time making sure their children make the effort needed. Financial stability does help in that regard of course, and makes doing so less of a burden, but there are plenty of parents willing to put the effort into their children that who aren't financially stable.

Recent public school and voucher school test scores in Milwaukee kind of put lie to the idea that simply changing schools is going to fix educational problems.

I'm all for putting teachers up for review and taking kids out of schools that are failing badly, but until you figure out how to make sure children get support at home, those changes are not going to do a thing to improve conditions.

Marco Polo

Postby Marco Polo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm

The problem with reviewing teachers is simple; if half the kids in their class graduate but the other half don't, why is that the case? Would this make this teacher a bad teacher?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Sarah Manski has withdrawn from the race because her husband is going to California for grad school. She knew this was a possibility the whole time. Why would anyone run for office with that knowledge? Bizarre!

http://votemanski.com/my-withdrawal-race

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 pm

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

Madison newspapers reporting the same thing.

Absolutely irresponsible of her to stay in the primary election without saying anything about her family's plans, but it's too late now.

I thought the guy who posted about this upthread was trolling. Guess not.

TJ Mertz gets a pass to go straight to the school board, and now maybe people will focus on the races for the other seats, which as noted here are just as interesting in different ways.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm

snoqueen wrote:Absolutely irresponsible of her to stay in the primary election without saying anything about her family's plans, but it's too late now.

That's putting it mildly. He had obviously applied so she flat out lied by not disclosing this. To be honest, I've always thought Ben was a little skeezy and now I feel the same way about his wife.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 pm

If I was Ananda Mirilli, I'd be blowing a gasket right about now.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:If I was Ananda Mirilli, I'd be blowing a gasket right about now.

I plan to write-in her name when I cast my ballot in the general election. I encourage others to do the same.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:If I was Ananda Mirilli, I'd be blowing a gasket right about now.

Write-in campaign?

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It's not necessarily the financial stability so much as parents who have time and are willing to spend the time making sure their children make the effort needed. Financial stability does help in that regard of course, and makes doing so less of a burden, but there are plenty of parents willing to put the effort into their children that who aren't financially stable.

Yes. Doesn't matter how much money the school was spending, I know that I wouldn't have done as well in school if I didn't have parents who were on my case when I slacked off on schoolwork. Kids are kids and need guidance and support at home. This is the standard challenge for two parents and twice as hard (if not more) for a single parent. (You can take that idea of financial stability to also mean that with a single parent who must work, the children are going to be on their own a lot more and not being directed.)

When you have successive generations of single parents, you get a chronic condition of not putting an emphasis on education. These parents don't love their children any less, but the home support for education isn't always there. More money and vouchers and private school may help a little but aren't the real answer, but I don't know what is. You got smart kids with potential growing up to be dumb adults.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

I plan to write-in her name when I cast my ballot in the general election. I encourage others to do the same.

If you do it, so will I. That's two votes.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Make that 3 write-in votes for Mirilli.

Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 pm

mifflander wrote:
jjoyce wrote: Would you put up with a crappy classroom just because you didn't want your kid to take a half-hour of Bible study each day?

Do you really think spending 35+ hours a week in a Christian school only gets you half an hour a day of Jeebus talk? There are whole lot of teachers in parochial schools who love to infuse every class with their "Christian" values.

You think these religious teachers (many who consider what they do a vocation not just a job) just flip a switch when it's time to study science or current events? Do you think parents who are non-believers, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu etc. wouldn't have a problem with an hour minimum of bible study (no religious school would ever have just half and hour a day of religious indoctrination) imposed on their children?

Fine, let the religious schools accept tax funded school vouchers. Just start taxing the damn churches then.

As a former Catholic primary school student I would like to second this post. Especially the conclusion, if public money goes to private religious schools, the churches should be taxed.

I'd add that the Catholic school I attended wasn't a particularly good school. Our public primary school was definitely better (this wasn't in Madison). Over half of the teachers were nuns - several of them had no teaching certification, other than being nuns (I remember my mother talking about this w/ another parent).

I don't know of the Madison parochial schools are any good - but I got no sympathy for the notion of sending them tax money.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”