WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
Detritus wrote:"A business" is a meaningless phrase, given the huge range in size, scope, corporate culture, industry, etc. GM is a business, as I recall....

You are correct, I am painting to broadly.
I am speaking from a mini-mid to small business frame.
Does this make a difference in your mind?

To more directly answer your question, no, I think the primary issue is one of corporate (or managerial) culture, and that can be just as top-down and pig blind in small businesses as in big ones. The main difference is that behavior like that in a small business is more likely to lead to the demise of that business--but even there it is amazing how long crappily run businesses survive.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Detritus wrote:I think the primary issue is one of corporate (or managerial) culture, and that can be just as top-down and pig blind in small businesses as in big ones. The main difference is that behavior like that in a small business is more likely to lead to the demise of that business--but even there it is amazing how long crappily run businesses survive.

Amen!
It sounds like we are on the same page with regard to "managerialism".
What to do..., what to do...?

Edit-
Just realized I am way off WI sky guy's thread. Although, I like the new territory being threaded upon.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:27 am

World-renowned gynecologist has a well-reasoned explanation for mandating unwanted medical procedures:
“I don’t think there’s any reason a woman shouldn’t have an ultrasound,” Lazich said.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z2VvAdbnsw

I'll tell you what Sen. Lazich: you can get an ultrasound any time you want. But I thing most adult women would prefer to get their opinion from their doctor.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:40 am

Democrats are fine with more government regulation as long as it's not more government regulation of assisted justifiable homicide of fetuses, aka abortion.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 am

DCB wrote:
I'll tell you what Sen. Lazich: you can get an ultrasound any time you want. But I thing most adult women would prefer to get their opinion from their doctor.

Does the new law say the ultrasound has to be of the woman who is the patient? Maybe they could just get one ultrasound (of a sheep, for all I care) and show it on demand. That would save valuable healthcare dollars and resources and result in just as good care for the patient, since an ultrasound is not part of the medical protocol for her needs anyway.

We will always need abortion for tragic conditions like certain trisomy defects that always result in death, or for situations like incest and rape, but I think the decision of the Obama administration not to fight the court-ordered distribution of morning-after pills without prescription is going to help reduce abortion rates among young girls greatly. RU486, which can be effective up to 63 days after conception in 95-98% of cases, has also helped.

This has been a long hard fight and it's not over, but regardless of what the laws say, women who are not prepared for or interested in being mothers will always find a way. We can be grateful some of these simple and safe pharmaceutical options are becoming available. Since single motherhood is one of the strongest determinants of poverty in our country, the advantages reach far beyond the individual.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

This [fight to choose assisted justifiable homicide of fetuses] has been a long hard fight and it's not over, but regardless of what the laws say, women who are not prepared for or interested in being mothers will always find a way [to justify the homicide of their fetuses]. We can be grateful some of these simple and safe pharmaceutical [homicide] options are becoming available. Since single motherhood is one of the strongest determinants of poverty in our country, the advantages reach far beyond the individual [pregnant woman all the way to sheep.]

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25 pm

I feel so comforted that the Taliban has taken over our legislature:( Religious extremism, American style.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

GOP senators pass abortion measure requiring ultrasounds

Before debate was cut off, Sen. Mary Lazich (R-New Berlin), the bill's author, said the measure would ensure women had as much information as possible before making an abortion decision that couldn't be reversed.

"If you have a loved one who's thinking about terminating their pregnancy, for crying out loud you want them to have full information," she said.

She also claimed a "majority of women who regret" their abortions and said they had become common because of cultural shifts in the 1960s.

"It became popular in the '60s," she said. "It became the thing to do. You know, you almost had to get one to be a woman."

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:37 am

Lazich claims the gold in the "most out of touch Senator" competition.
She also claimed a "majority of women who regret" their abortions and said they had become common because of cultural shifts in the 1960s.

"It became popular in the '60s," she said. "It became the thing to do. You know, you almost had to get one to be a woman."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 85421.html

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Echo in here?

you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby you must be joking » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 am

Having Planned Parenthood and or the National Abortion Federation regulate their own clinics is like asking B.P. to self regulate their drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.

If the legislature was serious about regulating abortion clinics they should start be requiring all abortion clinics to be regulated by the State and the Feds as "Ambulatory Surgical Clinics". That way they will have the same State surveyors that most facilities that provide medical care like, hospitals, surgical clinics, nursing homes and others. Currently, to the best of my knowledge, they are not.

The information, or a statement of deficencies, gathered in the survey process should also be made public knowledge on web based sites as is for example the information on hospital and nursing home K and F tags. This way clinics could not hide behind the wall of non information they currently use.

Requiring that all doctors providing abortions must have visiting privileges at a local hospital is only common sense. Go to any other medical clinic and ask the doctors there if they have privileges at local hospitals and most if not all will.

I also wonder who pays for a woman who leaves an abortion clinic to go to the hospital after a botched abortion? Does the clinic? Or do we the taxpayers have to cough up for not only the abortion, under Badger Care for example, but the trip to the emergency room after a botched abortion?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:43 am

you must be joking wrote:I also wonder who pays for a woman who leaves an abortion clinic to go to the hospital after a botched abortion? Does the clinic? Or do we the taxpayers have to cough up for not only the abortion, under Badger Care for example, but the trip to the emergency room after a botched abortion?

Who will pay for the emergency room visits after the post-ban coat hanger abortions?

I'm not joking.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 am

you must be joking wrote:Requiring that all doctors providing abortions must have visiting privileges at a local hospital is only common sense.

It's a gimmick and you know it. How many stories have you read in the past, lets say, 10 years about unsafe practices at Planned Parenthood.

Getting local hospital privileges may be difficult for abortion clinic doctors

It's not Wisconsin, but we're on our way to becoming just like them.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 am

Has any mention been made of exceptions for rape, incest or life of the mother?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am

Stebben84 wrote:It's not Wisconsin, but we're on our way to becoming just like them.

Well duh!
The Alabama Republicans say they're excited because Walker and his wife, Tonette, are "strong conservative Christians with 'Alabama values' and not ashamed of it."

Return to “Local Politics & Government”