Resolved: femininity is not obscene

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How would you vote?

Yea
87%
Nay
13%

Total votes: 15

FaeryGurl
Forum Addict

Postby FaeryGurl » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:46 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
catty_tonic wrote:FYI. It is LEGAL for women to go topless in Madison. The ordinance came about after a snafu involving topless sunbathing at B.B. Clarke beach.

No ordinance came about, rather a recognition by the D.A.'s office that mere female toplessness (topfreeness by the more p.c.) is not a violation of the law.

The rumor that I've heard is that a woman can go topless, but she cannot create any sort of disturbance by doing so. I've neer understood that, as it would not be the woman's fault if people were disturbed.
Unless of course she's using the street sign as a stripper pole...

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:54 pm

catty_tonic wrote:FYI. It is LEGAL for women to go topless in Madison. The ordinance came about after a snafu involving topless sunbathing at B.B. Clarke beach.

I've seen reports of one major occurrence to the contrary - last year? a woman was demonstrating her endowments from her balcony to some partygoers, and the police wedged in and arrested her for it. This angered the crowd and was the cause of the infamous Hallowe'en Riot.

Ducatista: I'm sorry if my phrasing seemed unromantic, but in legalistic terms everything is unromantic. In the cold light of ?reason, tears are just a bodily secretion for lubricating the eye, semen is just an energy source for the male gamete, and blood is just a simple oxygen carrier that certain exceptionally stupid corporate scientists continue to persist in trying to replace with lumps of cross-linked garbage hemoglobin in order to save a few bucks (but I'm getting off track again...)

Am I exploiting breast-feeding as a point for gratuitous breast-admiration? Yes and no. Yes, I'm exploiting it --- but on the other hand, the social perception that breast-feeding is something that shouldn't be done here or there or under this and that circumstance and which in any case is some filthy thing that we shouldn't make special allowances for ... is the cause of a great many bottle babies. So I prefer to think of it as recognizing a natural symbiosis between two different issues for one common purpose.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:35 am

Mike S. wrote:Am I exploiting breast-feeding as a point for gratuitous breast-admiration? Yes and no.

Ick, creepy.

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:18 pm

Guys wouldn't even have smaller nipples if former generations hadn't been so close to starvation that the energy cost of the extra tissue and potential waste of milk hadn't

Correction: upon second thought, a more likely explanation is to reduce the frequency of breast cancer. Serves me right for making blatant speculations on why evolution went a particular way, which is frequently done in news stories and nearly always wrong...

Ducatista: I don't get what I've done to merit the infamous C-word. All I did was make a model proposal for de-Talibanizing one city. This is really a thought experiment, sort of a twin to my "Mysterious Republicans" posting from before, but since larger numbers of actual liberals are provided here I thought I'd put the question more directly rather than asking about them.

Regarding "breasts as spigots" ... I highly recommend a certain Thalia video, "Gracias a Dios" :wink:

Jay Did

Postby Jay Did » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:39 am

Did anyone hear the bozo this morning on the radio from "citizens for banning breastfeeding" who is publishing some study in the New England Journal of medicine indicating that breast feeding beyond 6 months is actually an incestuous and criminal relationship with a child? They want Bush to pass legislation banning it altogether after six months of age because 60% of the 22,000 women in the study supposedly "came out of the closet" and admitted they derived sexual pleasure from breastfeeding their babies. Whoa Nelly, that guy was whacked. Lovely morning show blather.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:45 am

I don't think that the NEJM publishes articles from wackos that have issues with their mothers...

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:26 pm

Sounds like a put-on to me. The NEJM is a hard science journal - you wouldn't publish an article "proving" that something is immoral there.

Did God give women any hints how much breast-feeding is enough? Well, they're called teeth :)

Aphrodite

Postby Aphrodite » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:12 pm

Jay Did wrote:Did anyone hear the bozo this morning on the radio from "citizens for banning breastfeeding" who is publishing some study in the New England Journal of medicine indicating that breast feeding beyond 6 months is actually an incestuous and criminal relationship with a child? They want Bush to pass legislation banning it altogether after six months of age because 60% of the 22,000 women in the study supposedly "came out of the closet" and admitted they derived sexual pleasure from breastfeeding their babies. Whoa Nelly, that guy was whacked. Lovely morning show blather.

That is frightening!!! I breast fed for 15 months, and enjoyed evey minute of it...not sexually, but apparently it is for some women. It was a great way to reconnect with my son after a long day apart, and you can't deny the health benefits.

The hormones released during breast feeding and orgasm are the same (oxytocin). Ya think maybe nature designed it such that breast feeding is SUPPOSED to be pleasurable???

I wouldn't for a minute deny the sexual nature of my breasts, and the pleasure they give me under other circumstances. I think it is a mistake to try to categorize breasts into either/or. They're both sexual and nurturing, sometimes simultaneously.

Jay Did

Postby Jay Did » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:03 pm

I thought it was really bizarre. This guy's mom had apologized to him for her getting off on it when he was a baby, but him parlaying this into a study that would receive ANY medical credence, however marginal, seems a bit odd. I personally wouldn't breast feed a 5 year old, but I sure don't think there is anything wrong a process that has tremendous health and emotional benefits and is designated by, oh, i don't know, NATURE?

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:33 pm

Man, I'd only been breastfeeding about 6 months before The Man started hassling me about it. Of course, I guess maybe it makes a difference that a) I'm a man, and b) I don't have kids.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:37 pm

I think anyone should be free to show their nipples, with or without sucking baby.

spacecase
Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm

Mike S. wrote:
Did God give women any hints how much breast-feeding is enough? Well, they're called teeth :)

I'll second that! My kids let me know when it was time to stop...

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:21 pm

white_rabbit wrote:I think anyone should be free to show their nipples, with or without sucking baby.

Show me your slippery slopes!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:25 pm

blunt wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:I think anyone should be free to show their nipples, with or without sucking baby.

Show me your slippery slopes!

I'm pro-nipple and I vote.

nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:16 am

did a search on "citizens for banning breastfeeding" and found nothing.

But i did find this site 3 links in-

Return to “Local Politics & Government”