Ann Althouse: Romney video no big deal

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ann Althouse: Romney video no big deal

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Who does an old-school, blue-collar, lower income, anti-war, life long Democrat support these days? It is confusing for me to see todays Democrats so on board with policies that are abhorrent to me.

You tell me. Really. I'd like to know who you support.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Stella_Guru wrote:Who does an old-school, blue-collar, lower income, anti-war, life long Democrat support these days? It is confusing for me to see todays Democrats so on board with policies that are abhorrent to me.

You tell me. Really. I'd like to know who you support.

Between 1968 and up to but not including Bill Clinton's second term I have voted straight ticket Democrat. With the pro-business, rightwing, southern influence in the national party since then I have continued to vote Democrat except for President, where I have gone third party, mostly Green and a write in. I like what Kucinich says and find Obama a likable guy, but mostly not as President. At my age "the lesser of two evils" becomes the more effective evil. Getting tired of that.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks for the response, but it's mostly the None Of The Above/Third Party TBD I wasn't hoping for.

Sorry you're frustrated, but a bitter "they all suck" is a pointless platform, pretty much guaranteed to change nothing, and definitely not worth all the column pixels you devote to it.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 am

Ducatista wrote:Thanks for the response, but it's mostly the None Of The Above/Third Party TBD I wasn't hoping for.

Sorry you're frustrated, but a bitter "they all suck" is a pointless platform, pretty much guaranteed to change nothing, and definitely not worth all the column pixels you devote to it.

Possibly you could consider defending Obama's record on the issues I have raised. Lets hear you discuss why you don't think he is pushing forward the Right's agenda. Back him on what I see as his damnable highlights of his presidential record, which should be the basis for evaluating his worthiness. Convince me to vote for him as I'm not voting for Romney. TBD is where I'm at, sorry.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:46 am

Too subtle for me, sorry.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:47 am

The only person who exactly represents your perspective is you. Unless you run for office, you're going to have to sacrifice something. If you refuse to do either, you've got no heath to rail against the clouds upon.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 am

Aw, crap. Now I've got Kate Bush singing Wuthering Heights in my head. ("heath"...)

Sorry, I should add: excellent point.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

Ducatista wrote:Too subtle for me, sorry.

Ok, some specifics. Defend the following:
His austerity partnership with the GOP, the Grand Compromise.
His Heritage Foundation born Affordable Care Act.
His merging of the banks and the state with a $16 trillion infusion.
His preventive dentention legislation.
His simultaneous drone bombing of five countries.
"Humanitatian Intervention" trumping international law.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 am

TheBookPolice wrote:The only person who exactly represents your perspective is you. Unless you run for office, you're going to have to sacrifice something. If you refuse to do either, you've got no heath to rail against the clouds upon.

In other words, shut up. Lets hear you defend the Dems rightward drift.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 am

Stella_Guru wrote:His austerity partnership with the GOP, the Grand Compromise.

Here's the deal. Our country has many different types of personalities and ideologies. We DO elect someone who has a specific vision, but they also govern those people who don't believe in their specific ideology. Sometimes I think there is TOO much compromise, but some is necessary. Do you not agree or do you believe in my way or the highway approach.

Stella_Guru wrote:His Heritage Foundation born Affordable Care Act.

Would you rather he got something or nothing at all. You've got to crawl before you can walk. I would love universal health care, but it's NOT going to happen.

I appreciate people with a strong ideology. I have my beliefs, but I'm also smart enough to know that many of those are just not possible.

Also, if you think Romney and Obama are one in the same, then you've got your head up your ass and need to come back to reality. The whole Debbie Downer act gets old.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

Stella_Guru wrote:In other words, shut up. Lets hear you defend the Dems rightward drift.

There are very few rightward drifts you'll hear me defend; what reality do you live in, where every position for every elected official must be agreed with, or else scrapped completely?

The current administration has come up with fewer abhorrent new policies than the preceding one, and maybe even the one before that. And in fact, this administration has gone about overturning or correcting some of those past mistakes (DADT comes to mind first). It's tough to turn around bad ideas once they've gotten traction; that Obama's first term has seen the end of DADT and the implementation of the beginning of a national health care plan is pretty impressive considering it was only one president ago that both were 180 degrees different, and miles away.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 am

Stella's way of thinking got us eight years of George W. Bush... and an unnecessary war with Iraq and the Great Recession.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:05 am

Stella_Guru wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Too subtle for me, sorry.

Ok, some specifics. Defend the following:

[yet another litany of wrongdoings]

1. "Too subtle" referred to your pre-edit post, which contained nothing but my own post, quoted.

2. I didn't ask you for specifics on what you don't like. You provide those ad nauseam.

I was hoping your relentless complaining might be a setup. You'd educate the clueless masses with endless posts about how every mainstream candidate is equally awful, then blow our minds with a great 3rd-party alternative.

Nope. It appears bitchy complaining is the end game for you, regurgitating vitriol from the most strident voices on either side. A personal favorite:

Stella_guru wrote:Chicago Daley Machine hack lawyer Ms. Obama was rewarded her $250 million a year job neutralizing community complaints against University of Chicago hospitals.

Leaving aside the "hack lawyer" snipe and the editorializing about her function, you were wildly inaccurate on the salary. Her highest salary there was $316K, over seven hundred times lower than your claim.

And for that you take up forum space? Feh.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Stella's way of thinking got us eight years of George W. Bush... and an unnecessary war with Iraq and the Great Recession.

You need to ween yourself from the corporate owned media megaphone.
The war in Iraq had its roots much further back than Bush Boy's influence. The Great Recession is a depression, a settling of accounts, an end of the long economic boom and credit expansion cycle that began with WWII, an unavoidable decline of American predominance in the world, mostly out of reach of political influences to correct it. The compounding debt crisis, the insolvency of the U.S. financial sector, the collapse of state-dominated economies, the crash of the Asian stock market awhile back, the end of the Cold War , the appearance of a destabilizing technology(the subversive microchip), and the long-wave economic cycle downturn that occurs every 50-70 years are much more influential on our economic situation than Bush or my way of thinking. You give Bush to much credit.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:You need to ween yourself from the corporate owned media megaphone.
The war in Iraq had its roots much further back than Bush Boy's influence. The Great Recession is a depression, a settling of accounts, an end of the long economic boom and credit expansion cycle that began with WWII, an unavoidable decline of American predominance in the world, mostly out of reach of political influences to correct it. The compounding debt crisis, the insolvency of the U.S. financial sector, the collapse of state-dominated economies, the crash of the Aisian stock market a while back, the end of the Cold War, the appearance of a destabilizing technology(the subversive microchip), and the long-wave economic cycle downturn that occurs every 50-70 years. You give Bush to much credit.

In other words...

ARMAGEDDON

Return to “Local Politics & Government”