The Brett Hulsey Story...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Brett Hulsey Story...

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 am

The advice people give kids for when they're lost or confused is "find a mom." In the old days it was "find a cop" but that's not practical any longer.

It's too bad, but women seem to be the neutral parties in a social sense, particularly older women (who aren't exactly moms). Maybe it's like the Sikh guys wearing their turbans as a sign they're here to help, as we just learned from them recently.

The older I got, and the grayer my hair got, the more I realized I could basically get away with murder if I wanted to. It's a unique role we older women have in society, and one that can be applied in a very helpful way.

So, if I was advising a man who was concerned about false accusations but wanted to help a child in need, I'd tell the man, "find an old lady." Any nice older woman will come over, do something helpful for the child in question, and stand by while the man contacts authorities or does whatever else needs to be done -- neutralizing the uncomfortable situational "threats" you all so accurately and poignantly describe.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 am

The point of my story is that there is a double standard and that men need to be aware of it. I was forced into a situation where I was stuck being alone with someone else's kid, completely unaware of how she came to be in my own backyard. I didn't take her into my house for obvious reasons. And I didn't put her in my car either, as Moronic Meade would have done. But even though I was completely innocent of any wrongdoing, if some wrongdoing had occurred before I found her, I would have been royally screwed. As soon as I found the girl, I went to the front of the house and sat on the curb in plain view for all the world to see.

And you're right, it's nothing like the Hulsey story. If the cops had shown up and I was taking pictures of the girl, I would have ended up in jail for the night regardless. I was responding to Endo's "School Teacher Rule" scenario and bdog's warnings for those who ignore it. I really didn't have a choice.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:47 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I don't see how it makes much practical difference whether pjbogart called the police or took the girl to a police station. And I don't see what cowardice has to do with it. Why make personal attacks?

Kenneth, who knows? PJ goes out of his way to help a lost, hurt and frightened child and he is part of the problem.

PJ does the right thing and helps get the child returned to her mother with the help of the police that he called. PJ is obviously a horrible person and part of the problem.

The good samaratian is part of the problem.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:50 am

snoqueen wrote:So, if I was advising a man who was concerned about false accusations but wanted to help a child in need, I'd tell the man, "find an old lady." Any nice older woman will come over, do something helpful for the child in question, and stand by while the man contacts authorities or does whatever else needs to be done -- neutralizing the uncomfortable situational "threats" you all so accurately and poignantly describe.

That's pretty much exactly what happened, but the girl was afraid of the old lady and wouldn't let go of my neck. In fact, she was pretty much attached to my neck for a good twenty minutes until her mother showed up and she finally let go.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am

Meade wrote:PJ, your story is nothing like Brett Hulsey's. It was cowardly of you not to immediately take that frightened little neighbor girl directly to the police station. People who behave as you did are being part of the problem, not the solution.

Man up, dude.

Meade, you are a giant douche. Yeah, PJ should have put the kid in his car (no car seat!) and drove away from the neighborhood. That's what should have happened.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:13 am

ArturoBandini wrote:Yeah, PJ should have put the kid in his car (no car seat!) and drove away from the neighborhood. That's what should have happened.

That would have been an awesome idea. What if the parent had already called the kid in missing and then PJ shows up at the police station with them in their car. Is he turning himself in for taking her? Lessons to learn, never, ever take advice from Meade.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 am

Up until the photos of the 'sunset' part I wanted to believe his story. In fact, I would respect an adult who flips some smart-ass, spoiled-rotten kid off an inner-tube for picking on girls. But man, the photos part is weird.

His story afterward (the 'boo' part) is just plain crazy.

Where there's smoke...
Last edited by Crockett on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

other i
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:35 am

The ability to "keep it all in focus" might be a worthwhile addition to this thread. Let's talk about the thing where most of us are able to say "it's just kids being kids" a little.

Why or why not might that happen in the instance at the beach?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:37 am

Stebben84 wrote:Lessons to learn, never, ever take advice from Meade.

Better yet, ask yourself: What would Meade say? And then don't do that!

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am

bdog wrote:
jman111 wrote:
bdog wrote:We both agreed she could have said something but not me.

That's just absurd.

You disagree with Endo's school teacher rule then.

Best of luck with that in your future endeavors.

No, I actually agree with the rule in principle (sadly). I think it sucks that there are enough sick fuckers in this world that well-intentioned men have to worry about putting themselves in potentially misconstrued situations. However, I just don't think talking to a kid in his own driveway, in plain sight, violates the rule.

What if the kid had been throwing rocks at the car? What if he was playing with fire? Do you feel no sense of responsibility as an adult to address such behavior? Weren't you ever corrected by someone other than your parents when you were young? Hell, when I was a kid, it felt like my brothers and I had parents in every house on the block.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:59 am

Stebben84 wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:Yeah, PJ should have put the kid in his car (no car seat!) and drove away from the neighborhood. That's what should have happened.

That would have been an awesome idea. What if the parent had already called the kid in missing and then PJ shows up at the police station with them in their car. Is he turning himself in for taking her? Lessons to learn, never, ever take advice from Meade.

Or better yet, the police are already looking for her, see her peeking out of the back window of my car and pull me over. "Honestly officer, I was just heading over to the police station now."

It's too bad that Meade doesn't know anyone who could give him sound legal advice in situations such as this.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:59 am

jman111 wrote:Weren't you ever corrected by someone other than your parents when you were young? Hell, when I was a kid, it felt like my brothers and I had parents in every house on the block.

You obviously don't know today's parents. You can't even LOOK at someone's kid without a parent freaking out. Today's parents in the country are insane.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:09 am

And you obviously don't know me.

I think you'd be surprised by how many parents would actually appreciate something being said in the shovel scenario.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 am

pjbogart wrote:It's too bad that Meade doesn't know anyone who could give him sound legal advice in situations such as this.

Truer words were never spoken.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I don't see how it makes much practical difference whether pjbogart called the police or took the girl to a police station. And I don't see what cowardice has to do with it. Why make personal attacks?

My attack was on his actions and inactions.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”