Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:07 pm

So sez self-proclaimed "Moderate" Meade.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm

HawkHead wrote:Meade might be an ass but that isn't needed on this forum.

Thanks, Mr. Head. The feeling is mutual.

Lingyu
Senior Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Meade wrote:As I stated, Lingyu, we don't feed from the public trough. But if you really believe that we benefit at your expense, please do the math, email it to me, and I'll be happy to write you a check so that we are square.


Spare me the Tea-tard talking points. Does your household receive any salary from the State of Wisconsin or not?

Yes or no, Mr. Meade. If it does, it is state and federal taxpayers like me footing the bill.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Actually, Super Liberal Henry - I would proclaim myself to be Super Moderate. Please make a note of it.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Meade wrote:No they don't. My wife and I generate far more revenue and services for the university, city, and state than we draw, together, in salary or benefits. As I said, we are net contributors. Are you, Lingyu?


How do you calculate this? I am curious.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Meade wrote:Actually, Super Liberal Henry - I would proclaim myself to be Super Moderate. Please make a note of it.

Just did so.

Lingyu
Senior Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Meade wrote:Well, she doesn't work "by the clock". In that way, she's like all the other law professors at UW who you apparently criticize for "feeding at the public trough" on some other forum because I don't see you criticizing them here.


I only criticize the ones who feed at the public trough who expose themselves as hypocrites!

And the guy who calls others "elitist" thinks that it's ok for a law professor at a public university to express herself through a blog, but it's not ok for a snowplow driver to blow his horn as he passes the protesters because he works "by the clock". Nice.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Lingyu wrote:Spare me the Tea-tard talking points. Does your household receive any salary from the State of Wisconsin or not?

Yes or no, Mr. Meade. If it does, it is state and federal taxpayers like me footing the bill.


Lingyu, you do realize that the state of Wisconsin itself is a net contributor to the federal government, right? That means Wisconsin taxpayers pay more to Washington than Washington doles back. Some states pay less and receive more. It's just a part of redistributing wealth and equalizing our classless society.

Public employment works in a similar way. For instance, suppose Mr. HawkHead were to teach a course at the university. The state, through the university, pays Mr. Head $100 worth of salary and benefits for teaching the course. The university has overhead costs of $100. Because Mr. Head has acquired the skills and credentials to teach such a class, and because his teaching style is widely popular, students register for his class in great numbers. Class size has to be limited and an additional section is opened to meet the demand of students who perceive it to be in their educational/career interests to learn from such a master. 100 students wishing to be the best CPA's they can be pay $5 dollars each in tuition.

I'll let you do the math, Lingyu, but you will find that Professor HawkHead is a bargain to the state of Wisconsin and feeds at nobody's trough anywhere. Not only that, the margin that the university realizes on Professor HawkHead's productivity allows the university to hire Professor Vilas to teach a course in the department of Gender Studies titled, "Sex toys - The double standard of double dildos". Unfortunately, students today already know all they need to know about sex. Plus, they also all know about Professor Vilas's general creepiness. No one signs up for his class and the university loses money.
Last edited by Meade on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Lingyu wrote:And the guy who calls others "elitist" thinks that it's ok for a law professor at a public university to express herself through a blog, but it's not ok for a snowplow driver to blow his horn as he passes the protesters because he works "by the clock". Nice.

I called Henry V elitist because he is elitist. He condescends to "landscapers".

As for salaried employees vs hourly wage employees, I think you will have to look at the respective contracts and job descriptions.

Lingyu
Senior Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

HawkHead wrote:
Meade wrote:No they don't. My wife and I generate far more revenue and services for the university, city, and state than we draw, together, in salary or benefits. As I said, we are net contributors. Are you, Lingyu?


How do you calculate this? I am curious.


It's called fuzzy math. Allow me to break it down for you. Some public employees ("net-contributors") are good, while others, presumably snow plow drivers and DMV workers and the like, are bad. So instead of hiring two snowplow drivers or DMV workers, we have to let them go through attrition or whatnot so as to focus on hiring more highly compensated "net contributors" such as law school professors, because education is not something that the private sector can do, and everyone knows that we have a huge lawyer shortage right now.

OK, I'm already confused. I guess that Meade's Republican friends are going to have to get in here and explain how hiring more state workers to do more things is going to make everything better.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Meade wrote:
Lingyu wrote:And the guy who calls others "elitist" thinks that it's ok for a law professor at a public university to express herself through a blog, but it's not ok for a snowplow driver to blow his horn as he passes the protesters because he works "by the clock". Nice.

I called Henry V elitist because he is elitist. He condescends to "landscapers".

As for salaried employees vs hourly wage employees, I think you will have to look at the respective contracts and job descriptions.

A truthful statement about your (former) occupation is "elitst"? Do tell.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A truthful statement about your (former) occupation is "elitst"? Do tell.

Hey, Henry, I just had an idea. Since you seem to be so obsessed with me and with what I do or don't do, how about joining me in my next volunteer job? We'll work side by side and have plenty of time to shoot the bull at the same time. What do you say? Needs to be something in my field of expertise though - Olbrich, the Arb, Ice Age Trail, Centennial Gardens, mentoring schoolchildren. What do you say? It'll get you out of the house and give you a whole new lease on life.
Last edited by Meade on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lingyu
Senior Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Meade wrote:Lingyu, you do realize that the state of Wisconsin itself is a net contributor to the federal government, right? That means Wisconsin taxpayers pay more to Washington than Washington doles back. Some states pay less and receive more. It's just a part of redistributing wealth and equalizing our classless society.


And Mr. Meade, you do realize that the blue states have generally subsidized the ungrateful red states this way for a hundred years or more, just as taxpayers like me subsidize ungrateful public employees who support Republicans. In other words, public employees who want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Your illustration regarding professors pretends that the university is a private enterprise. It is not. It owes its survival, and you owe part of your household income, to public funds. In the words of Barack Obama, "you didn't build that" and he's correct. The taxpayers of the state of Wisconsin built its fine university system over many decades.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Lingyu wrote:In the words of Barack Obama, "you didn't build that" and he's correct.

Keep repeating that to us, Mr. Lingyu. Music to our ears.

Lingyu
Senior Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Meade wrote:
Lingyu wrote:In the words of Barack Obama, "you didn't build that" and he's correct.

Keep repeating that to us, Mr. Lingyu. Music to our ears.


Once more, then: "You didn't build that" I'm sorry, but if you draw income from the state, then "you didn't build that". Do you or do you not draw income from the state?

There would be some pretty hardy guffaws at the RNC in Tampa if you got up to the podium and explained your "net contributors" theory as to why we should hire more state employees.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests