Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Says the retired landscaper to the working CPA.

Says super liberal non elitist proud progressive, Henry V.

Your "working CPA" friend must be temporarily retired for today, Hen. He sure seems to be commenting up a storm. NTTAWWT.

I am going golfing tomorrow with clients. Maybe I'll blog on my phone. Oh the horror!

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Meade wrote:Apologies accepted, Lingyu.
If you fully understood what my wife does as a law professor and what I do as a taxpayer, you would realize that hour for hour and dollar for dollar, we are net contributors to the University of Wisconsin, the state of Wisconsin and to the city of Madison. Are you?

No you're not, Larry. The AltHouse, maybe, but not you. You're a parvenu dabbler trying to make yourself appear the equal of a much more accomplished spouse, and while we're at it, you're the Bianca Jagger of TDPF. Fortunately her fifteen minutes of fame are over; you linger on like a flaccid old man at a strip club.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:47 pm

HawkHead wrote:Of course if I am owner/partner in the firm I can do what I want if I drive revenue and take care of clients.

Even if the firm is a landscaping firm?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:55 pm

scratch wrote:No you're not, Larry. The AltHouse, maybe, but not you. You're a parvenu dabbler trying to make yourself appear the equal of a much more accomplished spouse, and while we're at it, you're the Bianca Jagger of TDPF. Fortunately her fifteen minutes of fame are over; you linger on like a flaccid old man at a strip club.

That's an insult to flaccid old men at strip clubs.

Lingyu

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:05 pm

No apology from me, as you just told me all I needed to know.

I can see that you and your wife feed at the public trough while condemning others, like snowplow drivers, who took an extra lap of the square with their plows during the protests.

I'm not a public sector employee, and never have been, but my tax dollars support people like you and your wife.

Meade wrote:Apologies accepted, Lingyu.

If you fully understood what my wife does as a law professor and what I do as a taxpayer, you would realize that hour for hour and dollar for dollar, we are net contributors to the University of Wisconsin, the state of Wisconsin and to the city of Madison. Are you?

Lingyu

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Says the retired landscaper to the working CPA.

Says super liberal non elitist proud progressive, Henry V.

Meade, this guy simply pointed out that a CPA's speculation about Mitt Romney's tax returns (NONE of us know because he won't release them!) might carry a bit more weight than a landscaper's opinion on such matters, just as one would seek out a dermatologist rather than a cardiologist for a rash.

How's this for "elitism" - feeding at the public trough while condemning snow plow drivers who honk their horns on an extra lap of the square during the protests?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Lingyu wrote:I'm not a public sector employee, and never have been, but my tax dollars support people like you and your wife.

No they don't. My wife and I generate far more revenue and services for the university, city, and state than we draw, together, in salary or benefits. As I said, we are net contributors. Are you, Lingyu?

Also, do you condone snowplow drivers, on the clock, participating in political demonstrations? How about doctors writing phony excuse notes for sick-out teachers? Remember - if you do condone it, you will need to show viewpoint neutrality. In other words - for example, Tea Party teachers and rightwing snowplow drivers.

Neade
Forum Addict

Postby Neade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Lingyu

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Meade wrote:
Lingyu wrote:I'm not a public sector employee, and never have been, but my tax dollars support people like you and your wife.

No they don't. My wife and I generate far more revenue and services for the university, city, and state than we draw, together, in salary or benefits. As I said, we are net contributors. Are you, Lingyu?

Meade, by your logic the way to expand the economy is to hire more state employees to provide more services, like higher education, because state employees are "net contributors". I'm sure that some of your Republican friends will jump in right about now to tell us what a great idea this is.

As I stated, I pay in so that you and your wife can feed from the public trough.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Why isn't anybody talking about Scott Walker? He feeds from the public trough too.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Neade wrote:Image

Sorry but this is bush league at best.

Meade might be an ass but that isn't needed on this forum.

Lingyu

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Meade wrote:
Lingyu wrote:Also, do you condone snowplow drivers, on the clock, participating in political demonstrations? How about doctors writing phony excuse notes for sick-out teachers? Remember - if you do condone it, you will need to show viewpoint neutrality. In other words - for example, Tea Party teachers and rightwing snowplow drivers.

I absolutely condone it. As I stated, I'm not even bothered when your wife posts now and then to her blog while she's on the clock. Snowplow drivers can express themselves by tooting the horns on their snowplows while your wife posts on her blog. I'm not going to get my undies in wad over 5 minutes worth of time in a month, or in the case of the snowplow drivers, 50 years.

Look, I spend more than 5 minutes simply pooping on any given afternoon. Enjoyable time, I might add. Time that makes me feel like a "net contributor" to the water utility.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Lingyu wrote:Meade, by your logic the way to expand the economy is to hire more state employees to provide more services, like higher education, because state employees are "net contributors". I'm sure that some of your Republican friends will jump in right about now to tell us what a great idea this is.

As I stated, I pay in so that you and your wife can feed from the public trough.

As I stated, Lingyu, we don't feed from the public trough. But if you really believe that we benefit at your expense, please do the math, email it to me, and I'll be happy to write you a check so that we are square.

The way to expand the economy is to free private enterprise from overregulation, higher taxes, and government policy uncertainty. More importantly, pay down our national debt by spending only what we take in. Live within our means. Stop borrowing.

As for public employees - yes, hire only employees who will generate a net contribution. Through attrition, let all others go. Government should be lean and mean. The "safety net" should be broad, shallow, and strong - only enough to catch those who would otherwise perish, uncomfy enough to incentivize getting out of it asap if one possibly can. Continue to encourage volunteerism. Especially from retirees like Henry Vilas and semi-retirees like me.

Lingyu

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:01 pm

gargantua wrote:Why isn't anybody talking about Scott Walker? He feeds from the public trough too.

Other than a short stint as a salesman or something, the dropout has never worked in the private sector. If I were him, the first thing I'd do before dropping people from BadgerCare is to eliminate my own taxpayer funded insurance policy and buy it on the private market like so many of us are forced to do. I would imagine that this would be a big PR win for him...

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Lingyu wrote:I absolutely condone it. As I stated, I'm not even bothered when your wife posts now and then to her blog while she's on the clock. Snowplow drivers can express themselves by tooting the horns on their snowplows while your wife posts on her blog. I'm not going to get my undies in wad over 5 minutes worth of time in a month, or in the case of the snowplow drivers, 50 years.

Well, she doesn't work "by the clock". In that way, she's like all the other law professors at UW who you apparently criticize for "feeding at the public trough" on some other forum because I don't see you criticizing them here.

You will condone conservative, Republican, rightwing, Tea Party hourly wage public employees participating in political demonstration, while on the clock, at taxpayers expense. I'll make a note of it.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”