Invitation to Cornbread

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Invitation to Cornbread

Postby Galoot » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Shorty wrote:This cornbread is getting old and stale. Can we get rid of it yet?

I'm certainly done with this place until the trash gets taken out to the curb.

That's ok though, I'll be landing in Brazil next Monday, and I just found out today that the school has rented me an apartment about 300m from the beach in the northeast end of Itapua. Yes, the same beach that was made famous by several Brazilian songwriters!

I'm hoping that some of my Madison friends come down for a visit. The ticket is pricey, but they will have a free place to stay for their visit. The longtime forons are quite welcome to visit too. You know who you are.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 pm

bdog wrote:Earthling has made some honest posts in this topic and gets nothing but snark in return. You from the other side could try just a little bit harder.

Now go post in the gum thread.

I believe earthling perceives he or she is under siege, whatever. Look I don't go to work spilling my political opinions, that is risky either way. I however did note a tone of sincerity in earthling's words, I appreciated that. I kind of get the same siege reflex when I visit the Milwaukee burbs, fox valley, the DePere, and many members of my family.

p.s.- I tried to help with the gum thread, but my wit is far out stripped by most of the regulars here.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:34 am

Bert Ernie wrote:
Earthling wrote:I suppose it depends on what your professional life entails. In my line of work I would alienating people by coming forward with my political beliefs. With the exception of my close friends and family most I associate with don't know which way I lean. I wouldn't say that I'm fearful in the sense that my life would be in danger or anything, but it certainly would be uncomfortable. I've seen pretty crappy things happen to people in public who choose to divulge they are conservative.

So you want to anonymously profess that public employees are, in general, lazy, and unaccountable, and unskilled (as you have....but .....wait for it...wait for it......here' comes a denial I'm sure). But you just don't want to alienate your friends, neighbors, and coworkers by actually having that discussion with them directly face to face. You don't want friends and neighbors or coworkers -- some of whom may be liberal or even public servants -- to know how poorly you think of them as a whole. You just want to scream it anonymously from the mountain top.
I would think that would be a very difficult way to want to go through life....hiding from one's own views.

Again close friends and family know my views. I was raised that we don't discuss how we vote or political opinions with acquaintenances. I've just carried that over to most all professional relationships as well. I don't think this means I'm hiding from my views. Just keeping them semi-private. This forum does give me an opportunity to debate, which is why I'm starting to like it. I could do without the ad hominem stuff, but I understand it kind of goes with the territory. People have a difficult time discerning between those they disagree with and those that are stupid.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:23 am

Cornbread wrote:
scratch wrote:I've seen pretty crappy things happen to people in public who choose to divulge they are conservative.

And some of those pretty crappy things would be... what?

:lol: You must be a leftist. :lol:
I could tell ya some things, but you're just a leftist, so I know you really aren't sincere in what you are asking about. (did I end that sentence with "about"? So uneducated midwestern).
You remind me of the cookie cutter leftist that wants to name of any terrorist in afghanistan and if no one can provide it for you, well then there are none. Or prove that there are illegals where....
Fluke! Leftists are pretty funny.[/quote]

My question was to earthling; I already knew you were incapable of responding other than with ad hominem nonsense. Hey, bdog! Does Corny's response qualify as the same kind of "snark" you whine about earthling receiving?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 am

Galoot wrote:
I'm certainly done with this place until the trash gets taken out to the curb.

That's ok though, I'll be landing in Brazil next Monday, and I just found out today that the school has rented me an apartment about 300m from the beach in the northeast end of Itapua. Yes, the same beach that was made famous by several Brazilian songwriters!

Hey, I hope Brazil works out for you. Sounds exciting and beautiful. You might even learn to dance the samba.

And, along with you, I'm about ready to be done with this place until the trash gets taken out to the curb. Looking at some threads from a couple years ago, I realized what a mess this site has become. I miss the old place, but without trash disposal any beach loses its charm, and people stay away.

I won't make an announcement, since I'm not exactly going to Brazil, but I'll be gone too.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 am

Mad Howler wrote:I kind of get the same siege reflex when I visit the Milwaukee burbs, fox valley, the DePere, and many members of my family.

Exactly!

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 am

scratch wrote:
Cornbread wrote:
scratch wrote:I've seen pretty crappy things happen to people in public who choose to divulge they are conservative.

And some of those pretty crappy things would be... what?

:lol: You must be a leftist. :lol:
I could tell ya some things, but you're just a leftist, so I know you really aren't sincere in what you are asking about. (did I end that sentence with "about"? So uneducated midwestern).
You remind me of the cookie cutter leftist that wants to name of any terrorist in afghanistan and if no one can provide it for you, well then there are none. Or prove that there are illegals where....
Fluke! Leftists are pretty funny.

My question was to earthling; I already knew you were incapable of responding other than with ad hominem nonsense. Hey, bdog! Does Corny's response qualify as the same kind of "snark" you whine about earthling receiving?[/quote]

I've seen people spit on. Things thrown at them. Called terrible names. Yelled at. Ridiculed.

But usually it's much more subtle, yet almost equally uncomfortable. Conservatives are seen as rich greedy bigots by many ultra-liberals. This town is full of them. I'm not going to fight it. I'm just going to remain a part of the silent majority (at least this time around) and keep my mouth shut. Generally speaking most that are intelligent enough to have a meaningful debate about politics aren't likely to be changing their minds. I would certainly fall into that category. I might bend on an issue here or there, but my idealogy is pretty well formed. I imagine the same is true of just about all of you on this forum.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:21 am

scratch wrote: Hey, bdog! Does Corny's response qualify as the same kind of "snark" you whine about earthling receiving?

Corny is here to troll and is getting a lot of bites.

Earthling is not Corny.

I didn't think I was whining but YMMV.

Mad Howler gets it.

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 am

Earthling wrote: Generally speaking most that are intelligent enough to have a meaningful debate about politics aren't likely to be changing their minds.

I hope and maintain this is not true. I believe intelligent people come to a discussion with an open-mind in hopes that their viewpoint will and can indeed evolve. Isn't that the purpose of Socratic dialogue? Isn't that the very purpose of debate? I hold that the purpose of discussion is to learn, to grow, and to evolve. If you cling on to the notion that there is no way you can learn anything or grow and that you won't be changing your mind before you even enter the discourse, you're not engaging in discussion or debate. That doesn't seem like the intelligent thing to do to me. And I wouldn't see a purpose for even participating.
Last edited by Bert Ernie on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

snoqueen wrote:I won't make an announcement, since I'm not exactly going to Brazil, but I'll be gone too.

+1

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 am

earthling & bdog; thanks for sincere, straightforward, on-topic responses. I appreciate it.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Bert Ernie wrote:
Earthling wrote: Generally speaking most that are intelligent enough to have a meaningful debate about politics aren't likely to be changing their minds.

I hope and maintain this is not true. I believe intelligent people come to a discussion with an open-mind in hopes that their viewpoint will and can indeed evolve. Isn't that the purpose of Socratic dialogue? Isn't that the very purpose of debate? I hold that the purpose of discussion is to learn, to grow, and to evolve. If you cling on to the notion that there is no way you can learn anything or grow and that you won't be changing your mind before you even enter the discourse, you're not engaging in discussion or debate. That doesn't seem like the intelligent thing to do to me. And I wouldn't see a purpose for even participating.

I think perhaps you're slightly misinterpreting what I meant, and perhaps I wasn't very clear. I do think people change their minds on smaller things, or often at least concede that meeting in the middle is a perfectly reasonable idea in some cases. Ideology's usually don't change though. At least not overnight. I think you find alot of people switching to more convservative beliefs as they get older, but generally speaking I don't think people truly change who they are. We certainly can learn from one another, but it is naive to believe that because one doesn't agree with you it means they aren't listening to you. I think that happens all too often when politics are discussed. Then both sides claim the other isn't willing to negotiate (I love that one) when really neither are overly interested in doing so.

Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Bert Ernie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Earthling wrote: We certainly can learn from one another, but it is naive to believe that because one doesn't agree with you it means they aren't listening to you.

I get this. I don't question if they are listening. However, if they've already made up their mind, I do question WHY they are listening. The motivation for engaging in the discussion in the first place is important here.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Bert Ernie wrote:
Earthling wrote: We certainly can learn from one another, but it is naive to believe that because one doesn't agree with you it means they aren't listening to you.

I get this. I don't question if they are listening. However, if they've already made up their mind, I do question WHY they are listening. The motivation for engaging in the discussion in the first place is important here.

I imagine some are listening because they want to try to convince the opposition to change their minds. Never works, but many are naive enough to think it might. Others might be listening to arm themselves with knowledge of what they deem to be the enemy is thinking. I suppose I listen on the off chance that I missed something, and do have small changes of heart from time to time.

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

DCB wrote:
Cornbread wrote:I won't play the madison leftist "what are you talking about?" bullshit. We know what we are talking about. This is why the leftists are, well, who they are....

No, actually. I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

:lol: Then you ain't a conservative in madison.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”