Citizen Dave Doubles Down

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Citizen Dave Doubles Down

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am

So Da (former) Mayor admits that perhaps he offended some people who felt he was offering up a false equivalency between Democrats and Republicans and their relative unwillingness to compromise. Apology accepted, but being a rigid, bullheaded, stubborn politico myself, no apology was necessary. I'm not willing to compromise. We've been compromising for decades and what we got was a steady march of deregulation, tax cuts for corporations and the super rich and an economy in shambles.

Democrats have repeatedly compromised on things like free trade with Mexico and China. We were told that opening up new markets in nations with a growing middle class would ultimately benefit us because we'd be able to export more of our products. It's true that the Chinese are buying more Ipods, but they're also making the Ipods, so the only people who benefited from that were the shareholders of Apple.

For 30 years now we've been suffering the demonstrable falsehood that when you give tax breaks to the wealthy they will use that money to create more jobs. In a laboratory, any sane scientist would have abandoned this experiment about 25 years ago. Here we sit, taxes at their lowest point since before the Great Depression, unemployment is at it's highest since the 1980's and Republicans not only insist that trickle down economics works, they make it a centerpiece of their political platform. How much longer should we wait for those jobs to start coming?

But what really peeved me about Dave's blog was when he suggested that Democrats need to quit blaming the Koch brothers and corporate money for election losses, as though there was no nexus between them. We should just accept that our democracy has slowly been shifted into a fascist State where corporate interests buy our politicians, write our legislation and earmark our tax dollars for their own use? Exactly what compromise should we be offering? We'll agree to do away with the minimum wage, regulation, labor unions and corporate taxes if you agree to... um... nevermind, you don't need to agree to anything.

Maybe the reason Republicans walk all over us is because our politicians are milquetoasts.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Citizen Dave Doubles Down

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

How are those sour grapes tasting?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 am

Earthling wrote:How are those sour grapes tasting?

Clearly not familiar with the actual fable.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Excellent illustration, Earthling! Now, when we send representatives to the State or Federal government, they're forced to negotiate with people like Earthling. These people aren't interested in facts. They aren't interested in policies that benefit the American people. What they're interested in is "I won and you lost, neener neener neener."

And those are the people with whom we're supposed to be compromising?

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Yeah, that's the most discouraging aspect for me, that millions and millions of Americans willingly go along with a program that is rigged against them.

I was encouraged at the very beginning of the 99% movement, I thought it was a message that could resonate, but it was all too easy to discount the movement as a bunch of spoiled kids looking for a handout.

I have no idea what it will take to turn this around. It might not, and we'll have to endure the cackling and taunts as we are collectively driven to our knees.

Hmm, maybe time to pull the trigger on that Rosetta Stone Chinese course.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:31 pm

pjbogart wrote:

Excellent illustration, Earthling! Now, when we send representatives to the State or Federal government, they're forced to negotiate with people like Earthling. These people aren't interested in facts. They aren't interested in policies that benefit the American people. What they're interested in is "I won and you lost, neener neener neener."

And those are the people with whom we're supposed to be compromising?

Answer this for me:

What motivation does Scott Walker have to compromise with anybody at the moment? Democrats tried to get him kicked out of office since he was elected. Shutting down legislation admittedly so that he would get no wins leading to the recall election. Why would he give a shit about compromising with people that were trying to submarine him? He has control of the state legislature and I imagine he will be flexing his muscles a bit in the coming months. He's earned it, and I believe he is going to get our financial house in order. He no longer has to worry about crossing the political aisle to get things done so why should he?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:32 pm

What motivation does Scott Walker have to compromise with anybody at the moment?

Well for one his party no longer controls the Senate...

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
What motivation does Scott Walker have to compromise with anybody at the moment?

Well for one his party no longer controls the Senate...

Yeah....for like another 5 months. Pretty sure that one is coming right back to republican control come November.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Yeah....for like another 5 months. Pretty sure that one is coming right back to republican control come November.

January actually. And you might not want to count those chickens.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Earthling wrote: He no longer has to worry about crossing the political aisle to get things done so why should he?

He has never tried to cross the aisle and has never had any intention of compromise.

Earthling wrote: Shutting down legislation admittedly so that he would get no wins leading to the recall election.

What? The mining bill? One bill? You know it was a Republican who cast the deciding vote.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Regardless of who controls the State Senate, Earthling will never benefit from any policies that Republicans pursue. He roots for his team in the same way he roots for the Packers.

Republicans have not and will not create jobs. Republicans have not and will not reduce (his) taxes. Republicans have not and will not improve the economy for anyone but wealthy donors and corporate interests.

And no matter how bad things get, Earthling will always be convinced that somehow the Democrats are causing all of his troubles.

So how do you compromise with that?

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

He has never tried to cross the aisle and has never had any intention of compromise.

So have you always had this physic ability, or is kind of a newly evolving thing? Solid vague generality on top of it btw.

The problem with you democrats is that you don't understand the meaning of the word compromise. For you a compromise means you have list of 10 things you want, and you get 9 of them. Sorry that isn't compromise. And unfortunately for you at the moment in order to get any of what you want you are going to have give up more than you get. You see that's sort of this bi-partisan system we have works. And then, in a few years when you re-take control, it becomes the job of the republicans to start kissing a little ass.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Republicans have not and will not create jobs.

You got me on this one. Government doesn't create jobs. BUSINESSES create jobs. Unless of course you are talking about public sector jobs, but we won't go there atm.

Republicans have not and will not reduce (his) taxes.

Funny I sort of noticed that my property tax bill was a tad bit lower this year. I'm sure that Doyle that did that for me though right?

Republicans have not and will not improve the economy for anyone but wealthy donors and corporate interests.

You see the economy is sort equal opportunity. If it gets better it gets better for everyone. The dow jones industrial average doesn't really care which stocks are owned primarily by 1%ers or 99%ers.

And no matter how bad things get, Earthling will always be convinced that somehow the Democrats are causing all of his troubles.

Especially my golf game these days.

So how do you compromise with that?

I guess it would be foolish to try now wouldn't it?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:02 pm

The problem with you democrats is that you don't understand the meaning of the word compromise. For you a compromise means you have list of 10 things you want, and you get 9 of them. Sorry that isn't compromise. And unfortunately for you at the moment in order to get any of what you want you are going to have give up more than you get. You see that's sort of this bi-partisan system we have works. And then, in a few years when you re-take control, it becomes the job of the republicans to start kissing a little ass.

This is so funny. I can't figure out how a human being could be so completely backwards on something like this. Is the brand loyalty that strong that Earthling hasn't heard anything about what's gone on in this country for the past 3 years? Is this some sort of "I know you are what am I" strategy? Hats off to Right-wing propaganda. It works!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Funny I sort of noticed that my property tax bill was a tad bit lower this year. I'm sure that Doyle that did that for me though right?

Actually it was brought to you by declining home values.
Walker didn't cut a single tax. He just created new subsidies.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”