Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:04 am

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Oh I don't know....hmmm....this sure is a tricky one....how would a person EVER know that another person wasn't going to show up to vote....I suppose you are right. That is impossible. It's not like there would ever be a situation where someone would leave town, or be otherwise incapacitated and that information somehow got out right?

You are not this stupid. Stop insulting everyone's intelligence.


Got out to who? How? And how do you know they haven't voted absentee?

And are you suggesting this is possible on some sort of large scale?


Of course it is possible. Is it likely happening on a large scale? I suppose that would depend on what your definition of "large" is. Regardless, in this day and age why allow such a clear potential security breach to exist? Why allow something of such vital importance to be so grossly unprotected? With our technology today it would be fairly easy to keep a person's picture on file. Heck you could just tie the databases at the polling places in with the DOT (which now has all of our information picture and all on file) databases and you wouldn't even have to bring an ID with you. Provided you had one on file they could just access it.

But what you are arguing is not just. You are claiming that because "proof" of what you deem to be "large scale" voter fraud doesn't exist that's ok to continue with this ridiculously archaic method. And you keep repeating the same crap over and over again all the while completely ignoring the obvious fact that you have to show your ID to get a fricking library card. In fact you have to show your ID to do just about frickin anything these days. You'd think when you show up to weigh in on who the leaders of our government are going to be that you'd have to show it then too. Afterall it is kind of a big thing wouldn't you say? Your argument is kind of like saying you can't lock the door to your house because you need to be able to let anyone in that wishes to enter.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 am

Earthling wrote:Regardless, in this day and age why allow such a clear potential security breach to exist?


Because the alternative - effectively suppressing a segment of the vote - is arguably worse.

Earthling wrote:Why allow something of such vital importance to be so grossly unprotected?


It isn't "grossly unprotected". Protections are in place, as we've already discussed. The chances or getting caught (or, at the very least, not being able to actually vote) are relatively high.

Earthling wrote:You'd think when you show up to weigh in on who the leaders of our government are going to be that you'd have to show it then too. Afterall it is kind of a big thing wouldn't you say?


The fact that it's such a big thing means unnecessary restrictions can't be placed upon it.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 am

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Regardless, in this day and age why allow such a clear potential security breach to exist?


Because the alternative - effectively suppressing a segment of the vote - is arguably worse.

Earthling wrote:Why allow something of such vital importance to be so grossly unprotected?


It isn't "grossly unprotected". Protections are in place, as we've already discussed. The chances or getting caught (or, at the very least, not being able to actually vote) are relatively high.

Earthling wrote:You'd think when you show up to weigh in on who the leaders of our government are going to be that you'd have to show it then too. Afterall it is kind of a big thing wouldn't you say?


The fact that it's such a big thing means unnecessary restrictions can't be placed upon it.


There are no restrictions being placed on it. Forcing someone to show identification isn't alterring the criteria who is and isn't an eligible voter. It is merely forcing you to prove that you are who you say that you are that you live where you say you live. Those who are being truthful have nothing to worry about.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am

Earthling wrote:There are no restrictions being placed on it. Forcing someone to show identification isn't alterring the criteria who is and isn't an eligible voter. It is merely forcing you to prove that you are who you say that you are that you live where you say you live. Those who are being truthful have nothing to worry about.


It's definitely a restriction if you don't have an ID and can't easily get one.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 am

Earthling wrote: Regardless, in this day and age why allow such a clear potential security breach to exist?


What makes you think having an ID is actually going to stop this supposed voter fraud? If people are committing voter fraud now, they'll find a way commit it no matter what obstacles are in place. So now we'll still have this supposed voter fraud with obstacles in place disenfranchising legitimate voters.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:31 am

lukpac wrote:It's definitely a restriction if you don't have an ID and can't easily get one.


Case in point:

Algoma service center
514 4th Street
Algoma, WI 54201

Hours: 7 a.m.-5 p.m. - Monday, Wednesday

Can't get off of work. Tough fucking luck. This is just one example. If they make it easier to get ID's I might start changing my mind.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 am

After reading Earthling's rants, I'm convinced HE has, in fact, engaged in voter fraud. Only a fraudulent voter would know that a fraud has been perpetrated. Only a fraudulent voter would know how to commit said fraud and would have considered all the possibilities prior to committing said fraud. Now it begs the question, how do you turn in an anonymous poster on TDPF to the Dept. of Justice?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am

david cohen wrote:After reading Earthling's rants, I'm convinced HE has, in fact, engaged in voter fraud. Only a fraudulent voter would know that a fraud has been perpetrated. Only a fraudulent voter would know how to commit said fraud and would have considered all the possibilities prior to committing said fraud. Now it begs the question, how do you turn in an anonymous poster on TDPF to the Dept. of Justice?


Talk to this guy?

Image

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:49 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Earthling wrote: Regardless, in this day and age why allow such a clear potential security breach to exist?


What makes you think having an ID is actually going to stop this supposed voter fraud? If people are committing voter fraud now, they'll find a way commit it no matter what obstacles are in place. So now we'll still have this supposed voter fraud with obstacles in place disenfranchising legitimate voters.


It may not stop voter fraud from happening entirely, but it's a pretty safe bet that there would be less of it going on if you actaully had to show identification. Minimum level of security for most things in life these days. If you are disenfranchised by the fact that you have to show ID in order to vote then perhaps you shouldn't be voting? If you are really so unproductive in our society that you participate in nothing that requires you to have a photo ID (having a bank account would require this for christ sake) do you honestly belief that you are being disenfranchised? Are you really someone that is likely to vote if you are this far removed? I kind of frickin doubt it.

But you go right ahead and find those ten people out there with thier sob stories and keep preaching the gospel. You should have to show ID in order to vote and you all know it. But you musn't give in because you all know equally well that a voter ID law would cost democrats votes.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 am

Earthling wrote:If you are disenfranchised by the fact that you have to show ID in order to vote then perhaps you shouldn't be voting?


No.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 am

Earthling wrote:But you go right ahead and find those ten people out there with thier sob stories and keep preaching the gospel.


So ONE case of voter fraud is the end of democracy, but 10 cases of people who can't vote is ok. Gotcha.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Earthling wrote:But you go right ahead and find those ten people out there with thier sob stories and keep preaching the gospel.


So ONE case of voter fraud is the end of democracy, but 10 cases of people who can't vote is ok. Gotcha.


Nice paraphrazing....clearly that is just of my position. I'm sure I suggested that there was ONE case of voter fraud in the history of the universe.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Earthling wrote:I'm sure I suggested that there was ONE case of voter fraud in the history of the universe.


Good to know.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:I'm sure I suggested that there was ONE case of voter fraud in the history of the universe.


Good to know.


Nice comeback

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Various places
Contact:

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Cornbread » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Voter fraud does happen


Examples?


Gawd, I can't believe someone is taking your bait, playing your game. But it's the schtick of the leftist democrat party, so why stop now, huh?

All this demanding of negative proof from a party whose head claims to have saved millions of jobs..... :lol:


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests