Will Wanggaard want recount?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21666
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Earthling wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Here are my facts. Now let's see yours.
Wisconsin's population is substantially less likely to have a state-issued identification. The study showed that the following numbers about those without state-issued photo identification and who would need to obtain one under the Wisconsin Voter ID bill:

•Over 177,000 elderly Wisconsinites
•17 percent of white men and women
•55 percent of African American men and 49 percent of African American women
•46 percent of Hispanic men and 59 percent of Hispanic women
•78 percent of African American men age 18-24 and 66 percent of African American women age 18-24
[Driver License Status of the Voting Age Population in Wisconsin, 6/05]


These numbers mean shit unless you can tell me how many of them are going to vote. If none of them vote then this disenfranchisement doesn't exist.

You posit none. Even if a small percentage would vote, then hundreds, if not thousands would be denied. Yet you claim the law would prevent fraud without offering any proof beyond your mere sayso.

BTW, here are official Wisconsin statistics on age demographics of registered voters. Notice the elderly outnumber all other age catagories.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Earthling wrote:
lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Let's just say I'm fairly confident that eliminating voter fraud isn't going to help democrats out.


And...why would you say that?


Call it a hunch


How about not and you actually give some sort of reason?

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

How about not and you actually give some sort of reason?


As I stated it's a hunch. Nothing more.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7981
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:47 pm

As I stated it's a hunch. Nothing more.


aaaannddd.... Scene.

Good job. I think you just lost the thread. Henry has backed up his argument with facts. You have a hunch.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:51 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
As I stated it's a hunch. Nothing more.


aaaannddd.... Scene.

Good job. I think you just lost the thread. Henry has backed up his argument with facts. You have a hunch.


His facts prove nothing. In order to be disenfranchised you have to be a voter. Spouting numbers about how many people are walking around without ID's doesn't mean all of those people are going to vote now does it? Why is this so difficult for all of you to understand? Oh yeah...it's difficult for you to understand because you don't want to admit to it.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Earthling wrote:His facts prove nothing. In order to be disenfranchised you have to be a voter. Spouting numbers about how many people are walking around without ID's doesn't mean all of those people are going to vote now does it? Why is this so difficult for all of you to understand? Oh yeah...it's difficult for you to understand because you don't want to admit to it.


http://www.aclu.org/voting-rights/aclu- ... ter-id-law

Also among those suing are two Black Milwaukee residents: Eddie Lee Holloway, Jr., who used to regularly serve as a poll worker, but whose incorrect birth certificate will prevent him from getting a state ID and voting; and Shirley Brown, who was born in Louisiana at home by midwife and as a result, has no record of her birth.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:58 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:His facts prove nothing. In order to be disenfranchised you have to be a voter. Spouting numbers about how many people are walking around without ID's doesn't mean all of those people are going to vote now does it? Why is this so difficult for all of you to understand? Oh yeah...it's difficult for you to understand because you don't want to admit to it.


http://www.aclu.org/voting-rights/aclu- ... ter-id-law

Also among those suing are two Black Milwaukee residents: Eddie Lee Holloway, Jr., who used to regularly serve as a poll worker, but whose incorrect birth certificate will prevent him from getting a state ID and voting; and Shirley Brown, who was born in Louisiana at home by midwife and as a result, has no record of her birth.


Is this really the best you can do? There are always going to be extreme examples in population you examine. The point is that there aren't a whole lot of un-ID'd voters out there.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7981
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Why is this so difficult for all of you to understand?


Because your argument is illogical and based on hunches instead of evidence.

In order to be disenfranchised you have to be a voter.

This. Is false. That's why we don't "get" it. The basis of your argument (most of them actually) is false. Your argument is hard to get because it's very basis is objectively flawed.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Earthling wrote:Is this really the best you can do?


It is far more than what you have done, which is nothing.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7981
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm

The point is that there aren't a whole lot of un-ID'd voters out there.


It depends on how you define "a whole lot" I suppose. How do you define it? 100? 1000? 10,000? How many people is acceptable to you to stop .003% voter fraud? The Constitution sets the number at 0.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Because your argument is illogical and based on hunches instead of evidence.


There is nothing illogical about my argument. My argument is certainly more plausible than your alternative. You should have to show a frickin ID in order to vote. It's not that big of a deal. Stop pretending as if this law would lead to some sort of voter armegeddon or something. It's fearmongering and bullshit.

This. Is false. That's why we don't "get" it. The basis of your argument (most of them actually) is false. Your argument is hard to get because it's very basis is objectively flawed.


BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULSHIT! How can't you claim that you are disenfranchised by having to show an ID to vote WHEN YOU DON'T FUCKING VOTE! You aren't stopping anyone from doing anything because the "anything" in this case is something the person had no intention of doing to begin with. Jesus! There is nothing flawed about my argument other than the fact that you don't agree with it.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Earthling wrote:It's not that big of a deal.


When *getting* a photo ID is a big deal, *using* a photo ID is in fact a big deal.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby Earthling » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:It's not that big of a deal.


When *getting* a photo ID is a big deal, *using* a photo ID is in fact a big deal.


Yes because getting a photo ID is such a difficult task. Enough already. The shit is starting to pile up too high.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Earthling wrote:Yes because getting a photo ID is such a difficult task. Enough already. The shit is starting to pile up too high.


Apparently you missed it the first time:

Also among those suing are two Black Milwaukee residents: Eddie Lee Holloway, Jr., who used to regularly serve as a poll worker, but whose incorrect birth certificate will prevent him from getting a state ID and voting; and Shirley Brown, who was born in Louisiana at home by midwife and as a result, has no record of her birth.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Will Wanggaard want recount?

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm

TDPF: where freepers get owned and forons get played.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests