Can someone explain this picture to me?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can someone explain this picture to me?

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:48 pm

The more wealth you have the less you worked for it?

Work and wealth are not as connected as you would think. Ask anyone with 2 jobs taking care of a family and a home while a CEO makes 10 Million and has someone to care for his family, and his home(s). That's not the point though. If you want to talk economics here is the way I see it. The top has never had more, the bottom and middle have never had less. If you think the answer to our problems is austerity and huge tax cuts for the rich your head is up your ass. We need demand, not supply. No wealthy investor is going to invest thier money in a product when no one has the money to buy it. We've been redistributing wealth for 30 years, in the wrong direction. We are living in Reaganomics realized. A complete and total failure for all but the top 1% whether they realize it or not.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:03 pm

"Work and wealth are not as connected as you would think".

Maybe so, but I can't help but notice people who believe that don't know much about either.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"Work and wealth are not as connected as you would think".

Maybe so, but I can't help but notice people who believe that don't know much about either.

I guess you've never heard of inheritance, nepotism, cronyism. And before you go on about catch phrases, if you don't think these things occur, than you've got your head up your ass.

Money often begets money with very little work involved.

Oh, and apparently Republicans are the hardest working people on the planet and democrats do nothing. I guess I didn't get the memo when I'm working 60 hours a week. Dumb fuckwads.

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Comrade wrote:Did you ever get that pesky economics figured out? Any idea how wealth is created and why that is important to know?

OPM.....Other People's Money. To leftists, it's the public trough .....Taxes....

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:The more wealth you have the less you worked for it?
Does water run uphill on Planet Madison?

In madison, apparently correct on both counts.
But remember, the lakes are so polluted in madison, the water can be thought of as liquid plants, so I guess water could grow uphill, as long as there's light up there. And there's always a light appearing in the sky outside of the black hole of madison.

I expect to see trails of people on the conservative underground, trekking out of madison in the night, following the light, walking towards intellectual freedom and economic liberty......

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 pm

God, it's the ghost of Ayn Rand...

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:33 am

When you brush your teeth with Resentoment
You'll wonder where the purple went

http://www.reinhartlaw.com/Publications/Documents/ea20120607_GR.pdf

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 pm

wack wack wrote:Once again, struggling to get through your shining example of our nation's education failures

I know, I went to government schools, ya know, public schools where government unionists are more concerned about their own retirement and lavish health care package for life.
So you're with me on letting the non rich people be free and have school vouchers? :D

"why should people outside of Dane county care about Dane county?"

Dang, you're pretty, sort of astute....ish. You may have to diagram that one to see if it's correct, but it all went thru the spell checker, except the "ish". OK, no, you aren't pretty. :lol:

Leftist dominated places are EXTREMELY political. The normal person lives outside of those places and they don't really give much of an obama about politics--they're too busy working, raising a family, etc. This major point in the world is where you programmed leftists were left completely mouth agape (sans bullhorn for some reason). Ya'll didn't have a clue what to do with the Tea Party. (hint:it's a middle class, aka "working family" movement). But don't fret lil World Wobblie--the Tea Party took the establishment republicans by surprise too. Think 2010. Or lugar. Or....

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am

Rich Schultz wrote:"Work and wealth are not as connected as you would think".

So, the people who believe that might be correct?

A hard-working, talented, innovative small business owner will likely earn more than another SB owner in the same market who doesn't work as hard. But a lazy, ignorant hedge-fund manager who got a job through nepotism might make many times more than either of the SB owners.

A janitor who works hard hard might get a 3-5% raise (in a good year) over the the lazy one. But she'll never in her lifetime earn as much as the guy whose college buddy talked him into investing his daddy's money in Google.

Its not fair, of course, but most of us make our peace with the fact that the world is unfair. So it goes. Just don't be so naive as to think that the billionaires are somehow millions of times more hard-working as the rest of us.

Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 pm

A hard-working, talented, innovative small business owner will likely earn more than another SB owner in the same market who doesn't work as hard. But a lazy, ignorant hedge-fund manager who got a job through nepotism might make many times more than either of the SB owners.

A janitor who works hard hard might get a 3-5% raise (in a good year) over the the lazy one. But she'll never in her lifetime earn as much as the guy whose college buddy talked him into investing his daddy's money in Google.

Its not fair, of course, but most of us make our peace with the fact that the world is unfair. So it goes. Just don't be so naive as to think that the billionaires are somehow millions of times more hard-working as the rest of us

Obviously there is some truth in what your saying, but I think what is lost on many dems/progressives is the ideaology most conservatives share. It's about having the right to keep what is rightfully yours. Provide for your family without having to share your efforts with the government.

Most of us concede at this point that the government is going to slice our piece of the pie any smaller than it is now. What we don't want is for the pie to get bigger. There is no reason why it should. Government needs to start doing a better job of managing its finances, and stop relying on the rest of us make up the difference.

While you do see many of the invesment millionres you mentioned, also keep in mind that there is always risk involved with investment. Whether it's a small business owner or a fortune 500 CEO, most who are successful financially achieve thier success because at one point or another they put in alot of hard work, and/or took a huge risk (usually a combination of both).

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Earthling wrote:Obviously there is some truth in what your saying, but I think what is lost on many dems/progressives is the ideaology most conservatives share. It's about having the right to keep what is rightfully yours. Provide for your family without having to share your efforts with the government.

"rightfully yours"...according to who? Exactly how much is "rightfully yours"?

I don't think anybody necessarily *likes* paying taxes, but at the same time at least some people realize that doing so contributes to the common good. Which in turn hopefully leads to a positive (albeit indirect) impact in their lives.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Agreement here with lukpac. So much of what wealth we have is possible only through large-scale group cooperation: shared infrastructure and shared security both internal and international come to mind. Both of those would be impossible to obtain and maintain at a national level solely through private efforts, and both are absolutely essential to the functioning of businesses in our country. I'd add more to this category including regulation of our financial institutions (regulation that needs a re-do, but still adds greatly to the security of any prudent individual's earnings and savings) but let's not sidetrack the discussion.

Because we reap the benefits of these government programs, it seems to me putting money back into that pot is in the best interest of the individual and of private industry. It's not like we've attained some level of development where we can just take our hands off the wheel and let things run themselves.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:25 pm

"... it seems to me putting money back into that pot is in the best interest of the individual and of private industry..."

Well there's a concept. This may come as a surprise to some of you forons but many of us have been putting enormous amounts of money back in the pot for a very long time. Those of us who have been contributing on a regular basis are always amazed at the cluelessness of those of you that are so eager to raise taxes without acknowledging the people who's taxes you want to raise have already been repeatedly and heavily tapped. It may be your first rodeo...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:...without acknowledging the people who's taxes you want to raise have already been repeatedly and heavily tapped. It may be your first rodeo...

This is not my first rodeo. When I was a lad, President Eisenhower (R) and his GOP controlled Congress taxed the richest American at a marginal rate of over 90%. It been going down ever since and its about time they pay their fair share. Even with a modest increase, they will still be very rich.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:58 pm

This may come as a surprise to some of you forons but many of us have been putting enormous amounts of money back in the pot for a very long time. Those of us who have been contributing on a regular basis are always amazed at the cluelessness of those of you that are so eager to raise taxes without acknowledging the people who's taxes you want to raise have already been repeatedly and heavily tapped. It may be your first rodeo...

My tax records, along with my working life, would go back to the middle 1960s. And yes, I feel it's been a worthwhile investment on the whole. I could do without paying for all the wars, but paying taxes for stuff you don't like is part of the deal.

Some people -- religious pacifists, mostly -- actually withhold the fractional part of their tax bill they calculate is going to pay for war. This is a form of civil disobedience. Usually it's too little to make a court case out of, but once in a while they end up spending time in jail. The principle that we all owe all our taxes regardless of how we like what they're spent for is pretty well established.

Maybe the conservatives could do civil disobedience by withholding the part of their taxes that goes to schools, or health care for the indigent. It's one way of making a statement, I guess.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”