Can someone explain this picture to me?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can someone explain this picture to me?

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:That's a lovely image, liberals speeding through the northern night, windows rolled up tight, desperately hoping the car doesn't run out of gas. If only they can make it to Bayfield without encountering the roaming lynch mobs out for recall revenge, passing up pie in Osseo, fish fries in Chippewa Falls, beer in Bloomer and bears in the Chequamegon. Ride, brave liberals, let no doubt penetrate that impenetrable skull or erase that permanent scowl. As for the rest of us, we won't miss you at all.

Fear? Are you kidding? I won't be afraid to stop and relieve myself, but I won't spend a dime.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:This pretty much sums it up:

Could we get a link. I like reading the full article and it's actually the board rules. Not tryin' to be a dick.

Are his statistics correct? They might be, but I wouldn't assume that anything coming from AEI is factual, much less so if it came from Michael Barone.

Muy divertido. LOL. If Ronald McDonald had written the article, would the poll numbers change?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Muy divertido. LOL. If Ronald McDonald had written the article, would the poll numbers change?

Fair enough. Then link to the Marquette poll. Michael Barone has no credibility.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:38 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:Muy divertido. LOL. If Ronald McDonald had written the article, would the poll numbers change?

Fair enough. Then link to the Marquette poll. Michael Barone has no credibility.

Aw, sour grapes, lol....

...relax.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:45 pm

I can't figure out if that was an editorial or a blog post or what. The one part of it that really struck me was this:

Public unions' institutional incentives are to increase pay and benefits, which costs taxpayers money, and to limit employee accountability, which tends to reduce the quality of public services.

So my question is if public employees are ever supposed to get a raise. According to him it sounds like a no. The raises the public employees have been getting for the last 10 years have been complete crap in this state. And limited employee accountability is complete and utter bullshit. It's purely made up. It's the boogeyman tactic conservatives have been using for years. Say it enough times and people will believe it's true.

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:45 pm

GordonFreeman wrote:It tells me, the further you are from good education, the dumber you are.

Spoken like a true leftists. Seeing as George Bush went to an IV League school, I guess then you are way more "dumber" than he is. :lol:

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Igor wrote:- Menominee County, while very small population-wise, is one of the most Democratic counties in the state.

It appears there are 575 democrats in that county, county of 4500 people.

- Iowa County was a very red county for years. I suspect that the number of people that commute from there to Madison has increased over the years, and made it more blue.

Me too. For years, people that could, moved outside of madison, then later, people moved outside of dane county's tentacles. The move outside of dane county probably started when falk took reign of the dance county board.

57 seems to ring a bell for me. Does dane county have 57 county board grand pubahs?

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Cornbread wrote:IV League school

priceless

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:06 pm

... I think it was all about "me, me, me!" for red Wisconsin. They bought the message that felt good, despite the fact that plenty of evidence was available to the contrary, and as long as the parties getting screwed were "not ME," they were fine with it.

The strength in the Republican message is it's ability to capture the fearful and ignorant.

At the same time, a weakness of the Democratic message was they kept playing defense against this garbage.

To win, somebody has to seize control of the dialogue. To do that, the Democrats have to present a positive, understandable picture of where we want to go and an understandable picture of where we're going instead under the Republicans.

The Republicans haven't said where they want to go because nobody has pinned them down. They just keep yelling taxes are too high and we're going broke, which if you think about it makes a highly questionable logical connection. Nobody's made them explain how it'll be better when taxes are lower, or even what it'll be like.

The Democrats need to show that, and show an alternative, not just keep looking over their shoulder. People stay fearful and ignorant when they don't have enough information or have crazy information.

We haven't hashed out an alternative. In other countries where there are more political parties, the alternatives are hashed out in parliamentary discussion and multi-party elections. We've got to do it within the party structure we have (for now) and we'd better get talking.

Or we can call somebody from the IV league to do it, I guess.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I can't figure out if that was an editorial or a blog post or what. The one part of it that really struck me was this:
Public unions' institutional incentives are to increase pay and benefits, which costs taxpayers money, and to limit employee accountability, which tends to reduce the quality of public services.

So my question is if public employees are ever supposed to get a raise. According to him it sounds like a no. The raises the public employees have been getting for the last 10 years have been complete crap in this state. And limited employee accountability is complete and utter bullshit. It's purely made up. It's the boogeyman tactic conservatives have been using for years. Say it enough times and people will believe it's true.

The employee accountability issue is actually really striking to me every time I have to come into contact with a state agency staffed of course by public employees covered by a union. How so? That's not easy to describe; not because it can't be described but because in a word for word forum its difficult to convey the entirity of detail, without which its pretty stupid because you end up with a buncha pro union TDPF'ers who just automatically try to justify everything, rather than understand. Put it this way, if the state were an entity you could choose not to do business with, the government would be bankrupt both for the lack of value in their service and even the lack of service itself.

A party platform in a sense is an entity the customer can choose not to "do business" with every four years or so. Whatever your constituency its fair to say a voter's hope is generally to purchase with their vote a relationship with the state whose quality they are satisfied with. My side won this election, all I can tell you is that we're pretty alienated by the level of apathy that persists at all levels of the bureaucracy and pretty stunned by the compensation rates. I'm sure you know some good public employees who really care about public service but that has not been the common experience in Wisconsin.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:27 pm

I was at the county registrar of deeds office recently and thought I got some of the best service I ever got anywhere in my whole life. Really. They knew their stuff and went above and beyond. I have also had good experiences with the WI department of revenue staffers. And you'll never meet a nicer (and better-trained) bunch of people than the ones who staff the city ambulances, says my neighbor who is in a position to know.

Remember that sometimes, a customer with a good attitude gets the best service.

Where did you go that they give you a hard time?

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Cornbread wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:It tells me, the further you are from good education, the dumber you are.

Spoken like a true leftists. Seeing as George Bush went to an IV League school, I guess then you are way more "dumber" than he is. :lol:

I'll put my "A"s in Engineering, Calculus, Physics (you know, actual classes) against Dubya's any day.

IV League, is that like pre-pre-med?

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:I was at the county registrar of deeds office recently and thought I got some of the best service I ever got anywhere in my whole life. Really. They knew their stuff and went above and beyond. I have also had good experiences with the WI department of revenue staffers. And you'll never meet a nicer (and better-trained) bunch of people than the ones who staff the city ambulances, says my neighbor who is in a position to know.

Remember that sometimes, a customer with a good attitude gets the best service.

Where did you go that they give you a hard time?

I have a pretty swell attitude to be honest snow.

Still, as glad as I am to hear you enjoyed your experience, I have very little positive experience to compare it to.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 pm

GordonFreeman wrote:IV League, is that like pre-pre-med?

Nah, that was just before he started snorting--Babs was getting suspicious about the tracks on his arms, see, so he had to switch.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:00 am

"I'll put my "A"s in Engineering, Calculus, Physics (you know, actual classes) against Dubya's any day."
Gordon

"What's going to be funny is watching doucheboy get voted out tomorrow."
Gordon Freeman June 4

"Dubya" probably can't even spell doucheboy.

"Michael Barone has no credibility"
PJBogart

(Barone) is best known for being the principal author of The Almanac of American Politics, a reference work concerning US governors and federal politicians, and published biennially by National Journal. The Almanac has been called "definitive and essential for anyone writing seriously about campaigns and Congress.
Wiki

"I won't be afraid to stop and relieve myself, but I won't spend a dime."
wack wack

Already winning hearts and minds for the next election.

Let's hear it for the smart guys.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”