Goin' fishing, back in July

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Goin' fishing, back in July

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Got something in the mail from them today, listing my voting record, i.e., did I vote or not vote, for the November '08 and '10 elections.

It also listed the records of 12 of my neighbors, giving full name and address. The gist of it was Walker won in 2010 because too many people stayed home.

It also said "After the June 5th election, public records will tell everyone who voted and who didn't"

That sounds like a threat and I don't like it. I don't like that they published my neighbor's records either. Yes, it is your civic duty to vote but there are situations where you may miss a vote and it can't be helped.
Last edited by bdog on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Greater Wisconsin Committee mailing

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Names of those who have voted in past elections have been public record for years. I've looked up mine and they seem accurate ....and I always vote.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Hmmmm..just realized something else...the Libs are threatening their own people.

Mailing says:

"Two years ago, more than half a million Wisconsinites who supported Obama failed to vote in the 2010 election. And that's how Governor Scott Walker got elected."

Jeez, it's been so long ago I forgot - I gave Obama money. They think I'm one of them.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 pm

If you think that is strange, I get emails from the Tea Party and robocalls from Romneyites and Walkerites. Free Speech and all that. Thank technology for caller ID and delete buttons.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't think it's strange, I think it's thuggish.

"You better vote or we're going to tell all your neighbors (who also gave money to Obama) that you didn't" is what it boils down to.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Public records can be used many ways... such as reporting who signed recall petitions or the salaries of public school teachers. Compare those disclosures with ones that show who cast a ballot at the polls (without disclosing how they voted).

Which of the above bothers you the most? Question is rhetorical.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:32 pm

True dat, those other records have been used in inappropriate ways.

This one strikes a chord because they're trying to intimidate their own people. Good luck with that.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 pm

You found this threatening? What was the threat?

I think it's a valuable reminder that each person's vote counts, and that you and I are part of a community that is collectively making a decision on June 5 and we have a responsibility to participate.

I'd take pride in having people look at my name and see that I voted, personally.
Last edited by snoqueen on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 pm

The intimidation likely comes from his programming. GOTV efforts aren't necessarily ITV (Intimidate The Voters).

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 am

snoqueen wrote:I'd take pride in having people look at my name and see that I voted, personally.

What if you hadn't voted for a perfectly good reason (for example, you had a medical emergency)?

It would not be very cool for these people to tell all your neighbors you didn't vote, and Infer that you were too lazy to do your civic duty.

YMMV.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 am

jonnygothispen wrote:GOTV efforts aren't necessarily ITV (Intimidate The Voters).

I agree. But this one is definitely the latter.

Did anyone else get it?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 am

Ann Althouse did:

The mailer

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:38 am

Ann Althouse wrote:What I assume here is that Democrats believe that the people who don't vote are people who are supposed to be voting for Democrats. But these people are NOT voting. They don't belong to the Democrats. It's ridiculous.

This is where the good Professor and I disagree - I think the people who got the mailing, as well as all the neighbors listed, made contributions to Obama in '08.

So the thought is - you're one of ours, you need to either get out and vote, or go intimidate your neighbors into voting.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:59 am

Interesting comment from another forum:

I'm the only one on the list that is listed as having missed an election - but I did vote that year - under a different name. I got married a couple of months before the election and changed my name at the polls. I don't appreciate being singled out - especially with the address listed. It is more than a bit creepy.

Part of the mailer says "If you feel it to be in error, e-mail ReplyGRW@greaterwisconsin.org"

Are they going to publish corrections to all your neighbors?

Another post on that blog wondered if this wasn't really a Republican mailer. Stay tuned...

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:31 am

Via daily kos discussion; this mailer is a close replica of what was sent out in this experiment:

Social pressure and voter turn out

Shame works. The authors seem almost surprised by this finding. The psychological and sociological literatures warn of “reactance” when heavy-handed tactics are used to enforce norm compliance–so the authors seem to have half expected turnout to fall among group #4. But instead of reactance, they saw a large rise in compliance.

Sad.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”