Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:ProFlowers [the seventh company] had said on Twitter that posts it received about Limbaugh's remarks affected its advertising strategy.

Thanks sno. I'm a frequent customer of ProFlowers and I just emailed them with my concerns.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Here's their account on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/Pro_Flowers

Their web page:

http://www.proflowers.com/

Companies actually listen to this stuff. I can't understand why a bouquet company was advertising on Rush's show in the first place, but since they listen, people can thank them for backing off -- or better yet, place an order and send someone flowers so they see a business uptick following their decision.

Interestingly, their web page includes a section about ethical practices regarding labor:

http://www.proflowers.com/EthicalLaborS ... =homenoref

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:05 pm

I didn't actually email them, instead I used their website's customer reply. As a regular customer I figured that should count more than a random tweet. Besides, as Luddite I have yet to enter the World of Twitter.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Unless your sense of moral righteousness is highly selective, you might want to save a little of that boycott rage for a few others:
After all, if Limbaugh’s outburst is part of the “war on women,” then what is the routine misogyny of liberal media men?

Kirsten Powers
But the grand pooh-bah of media misogyny is without a doubt Bill Maher—who also happens to be a favorite of liberals—who has given $1 million to President Obama’s super PAC. Maher has called Palin a “dumb twat” and dropped the C-word in describing the former Alaska governor. He called Palin and Congresswoman Bachmann “boobs” and “two bimbos.”

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Consumers have spoken and they speak green, not blue or red. Spin away, but Rush's "message" was rejected by the American public. Pure laissez faire capitalism. Deal with it.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Meade wrote:Unless your sense of moral righteousness is highly selective, you might want to save a little of that boycott rage for a few others:

I understand, people like you have a hard time seeing the line. We all know calling a public figure a bimbo is not by any stretch the same as calling a private citizen who's giving testimony a slut but here you are, trying to pretend that it's the same thing.

That's a big part of Rush's problem (and yours, since you've jumped in on his side) and could well be why he can't seem to make it on TV.

But Maher and Stewart, they know where the line is. And if advertising money is any indicator, they ain't crossed it.

Kind of makes you wonder don't it? If you guys are so smart, how come you can't figure it out and those other guys can?

And I would like to go on record to admitting my error. I thought Rush was untouchable. I was certain he would coast through this laughing and chomping on a big cigar making wisecracks about little ladies and feminazis, and would get more advertisers instead of less.

I was wrong.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:20 pm

www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celeb ... ort...Bill Maher, comedian and actor, was born on January 20, 1956 in New York City and has a net worth of $23 million.

www.celebritynetworth.com/richest.../ri ... -worth/Nov 26, 2011 – Actor, comedian, and political satirist Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz, now known as Jon Stewart, has a net worth estimated at $80 million

www.celebritynetworth.com/richest.../ru ... worth/Rush Limbaugh is one of the most popular and highly compensated radio talk show hosts in the world with a net worth estimated at $300 million

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 pm

George Will's comment regarding the R's feeble response:
"They want to bomb Iran, but they're afraid of Rush Limbaugh."

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Comedy is all about timing.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 pm

For the record, I boycotted Snapple and "Hooked On Phonics" 20 years ago.

Not that I had any use for either product.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/.../bill-maher-net-wort...Bill Maher, comedian and actor, was born on January 20, 1956 in New York City and has a net worth of $23 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... -worth/Nov 26, 2011 – Actor, comedian, and political satirist Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz, now known as Jon Stewart, has a net worth estimated at $80 million

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... worth/Rush Limbaugh is one of the most popular and highly compensated radio talk show hosts in the world with a net worth estimated at $300 million

Yep. Being vile and hateful makes more money. That's really sad, but it's the way it is.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:43 pm

rabble wrote:
Rich Schultz wrote:http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/.../bill-maher-net-wort...Bill Maher, comedian and actor, was born on January 20, 1956 in New York City and has a net worth of $23 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... -worth/Nov 26, 2011 – Actor, comedian, and political satirist Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz, now known as Jon Stewart, has a net worth estimated at $80 million

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... worth/Rush Limbaugh is one of the most popular and highly compensated radio talk show hosts in the world with a net worth estimated at $300 million

Yep. Being vile and hateful makes more money. That's really sad, but it's the way it is.

H.L. Mencken said it first: No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Detritus wrote:
rabble wrote:
Rich Schultz wrote:http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... worth/Rush Limbaugh is one of the most popular and highly compensated radio talk show hosts in the world with a net worth estimated at $300 million

H.L. Mencken said it first: No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

I just realized. Rich decided he DOES want to jump in the "Who's the sluttiest" bed. And he's using money as the measure.

Congratulations, Rich. Your whore wins. :-) The other ones still have some things they won't do.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:12 pm

"But Maher and Stewart, they know where the line is. And if advertising money is any indicator, they ain't crossed it"
rabble

I listed their net worth to let you know your credibility was suffering. Unless you mean their natural sweetness has kept Maher and Stewart from crossing the line into the really big money. But I don't think that's what you meant.

"And he's using money as the measure."

No, that would be you.

"But Maher and Stewart, they know where the line is. And if advertising money is any indicator, they ain't crossed it.
Kind of makes you wonder don't it? If you guys are so smart, how come you can't figure it out and those other guys can?"

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Help me out, Rich. You're saying that Rush Limbaugh doesn't anger advertisers and your proof is his net worth?

And using Jon Stewart's interview with Chris Wallace as proof that Stewart hides behind his comedian status is disingenuous. Assuming that you saw the Wallace interview, Stewart was chiding FoxNews and Wallace pointed out that the inanity and partisanship of the Daily Show makes Stewart hardly the most credible critic. Stewart pointed out that the Daily Show, unlike FoxNews, does not hold itself out as a strictly news program. It's comedy. That's not to say they don't mix comedy with news and insert a healthy dose of partisanship along the way, but they don't pretend otherwise. FoxNews, on the other hand, pretends to be legitimate news. They claim to be unbiased.

Do you believe that FoxNews is unbiased or do you think they tilt a bit to the right?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”