Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Postby rabble » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:38 am

Stu Levitan wrote:The HuffPo article has names of specific national companies that have stopped advertising on the show. (GEICO, AOL, All State, Sears, etc.) The WaPo article quotes Rush saying everything's fine, with no corroboration from an independent source.

HuffPo article wins.

I once said that Rush was untouchable and his actions produced no negative consequences. I was wrong.

He is now making slightly fewer millions than he was before he called somebody a slut. That's definitely a negative consequence.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:20 am

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:11 am

And posting about Olberman has to do with what. Even if the audience is up, can't pay for a show without advertisers.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:18 am

Rush may indeed be gaining listeners but it's impossible to say what portion of those new listeners are people who agree with him. I said on this board that I thought the Fluke thing would blow over and advertisers chasing ratings would go back to Rush eventually. I find nothing shocking about his listenership but I am a bit surprised that advertisers are still sitting on the sidelines.

Why do you seem to take such a personal interest in the story, Rich? Are you a big fan? One of his legion of dittoheads? Are you getting dividend checks? Maybe you're just in love with the man who's right 99.7% of the time and does his show with half his brain tied behind his back just to make it fair (actually, that one I believe).

Rush fans are caught up in a cult of personality, ironic given that he often charges Obama supporters with the same accusation. In the grand scheme, Rush has a very small audience even if he is the #1 rated radio talk show host in the country. A tiny sliver of the population tunes in to him daily and a portion of them are people like me, just tuning in to see how the right-wing is spinning a particular news story.

I take no particular interest in Rush Limbaugh, but I do find it fascinating that despite the obvious logical fallacies he pumps into the air everyday, millions of people drink his kool-aid. Admitting that you're a big Rush Limbaugh fan says a lot more about you than it does about him (or his popularity).

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:05 pm

I could care less about media celebrities, I'm just fascinated by counter productive tactics.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:... I'm just fascinated by counter productive tactics.

Such as your usual posts? We know what you oppose... all things liberal. But what (and who) do you support? You can start here.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:32 pm

I think I know three people who listen to rush and like him/agree with him. They all are people who seem to believe the first thing they hear about something and then are incapable or unwilling to adjust that belief, even in the face of contradictory evidence. For example, one of them still believes that the capitol building sustained multi-millions in damages last year.

Probably the same kind of people who have such a hard time with politicians who actually change their minds on a subject.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Excellent choice, the Republican presidential gabfest is this year's clear winner in counter productive tactics.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Excellent choice, the Republican presidential gabfest is this year's clear winner in counter productive tactics.

So do you support any of the Republican candidates?

I'd also like a little clarification on that Rush thing. I'm saying he's lost something because his income is down slightly, and I believe you're saying he's won something because his viewership is up.

Am I correct about your view? I think you're saying Rush's main goal is viewers, not money, and if he has more viewers but less money, he's a winner. Is that right?

Actually I'm not sure whether Rush's income has really gone down. It's a safe bet the corporations who pay him have lost some money but I don't know if they've paid him any less because of that.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:00 am

"I think you're saying Rush's main goal is viewers, not money, and if he has more viewers but less money, he's a winner. Is that right?
"

I assumed most liberals were more concerned about Limbaugh's influence than his money. Is that right?

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:10 am

"So do you support any of the Republican candidates?"

Why am I limited to the Republican candidates? As a conservative why shouldn't I vote for the candidate that kept Guantanamo open, re-armed this country and Mexico, extended the Bush tax cuts, killed cap and trade, single payer, and American citizens without a trial, raided state sanctioned marijuana dispensaries and bailed out Wall Street?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:53 am

Rich Schultz wrote:

Why am I limited to the Republican candidates? As a conservative why shouldn't I vote for the candidate that kept Guantanamo open, re-armed this country and Mexico, extended the Bush tax cuts, killed cap and trade, single payer, and American citizens without a trial, raided state sanctioned marijuana dispensaries and bailed out Wall Street?

Can you rise above the snark and actually say who you support for president? Grow some cojones and give an honest answer, if you can.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:36 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Rich Schultz wrote:

Can you rise above the snark and actually say who you support for president? Grow some cojones and give an honest answer, if you can.

You mean he wasn't saying he's voting for Obama? I thought he was just complaining that his best conservative choice was the Democrat.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:22 am

rabble wrote:You mean he wasn't saying he's voting for Obama? I thought he was just complaining that his best conservative choice was the Democrat.

Many liberals share that complaint.

condor0523

Postby condor0523 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm

More counter productive activities
http://www.politicususa.com/rush-limbau ... vertisers/
Rush is consumed with this and continues his spin!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”