Who should run in the recall?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who should run in the recall?

Barrett
4
8%
Cullen
11
22%
Falk
3
6%
Obey
15
30%
Other
17
34%
 
Total votes: 50

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5094
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I have two reasons for my antipathy to a Falk candidacy: the fact that she took on Peg Lautenschlager only to lose in the general for one. The other more important reason is that I don't think she can win a state-wide race against Walker. If it came to it, I'd vote for her against Walker. Then the next day I'd get to read about how the other 53+% of the electorate went the other way.

Imagine how a million plus people will feel the day after if we somehow manage to blow this by running a weak candidate.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby Meade » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 pm

gargantua wrote:I have two reasons for my antipathy to a Falk candidacy: the fact that she took on Peg Lautenschlager only to lose in the general for one.


Seems a little unfair to blame Kathleen for Peg's drinking problem.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Meade wrote:
gargantua wrote:I have two reasons for my antipathy to a Falk candidacy: the fact that she took on Peg Lautenschlager only to lose in the general for one.


Seems a little unfair to blame Kathleen for Peg's drinking problem.


So why are you blaming her?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12977
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Oh, that's just the way he writes. He says something nasty but words it so he can maintain deniability, then turns around and says the opposite when he finds someone new to contradict. He's got no point of view at all -- he just lobs grenades and thinks when nobody can figure out what he's trying to say, that means he's prevailed.

I don't get it either, but don't waste a lot of time trying to figure him out.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby Meade » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Well then why did Democrats vote against Peg Lautenschlager? Was it really because they liked Kathleen Falk better? Educate me.

Also, why would Russ Feingold want to risk losing another statewide election? How humiliating would that be for him to lose back to back elections? And - on top of that - lose to two Tea Party-endorsed candidates - Ron Johnson and Scott Walker?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Meade wrote:Well then why did Democrats vote against Peg Lautenschlager?


Don't look at me; I didn't.

Meade wrote:Also, why would Russ Feingold want to risk losing another statewide election?


3-1 is a shade better than 0-2.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Meade wrote:Well then why did Democrats vote against Peg Lautenschlager? Was it really because they liked Kathleen Falk better? Educate me.


I voted against Lautenshlager once upon a time. The year was 1992 (I think) and I was a doughy-eyed teenager who had just earned the right to vote. Bill Clinton was running against the Bush who had a brain and Peg was running against Tom Petri (I think). Peg had a commercial on TV where a couple of guys who looked like they probably drove snowplows were sitting in a bar and one of them asked for a Lautenschlager. Cute schtick, but I guess I wanted more from my politicians than comparing their name to a fantastical brand of beer.

I told my mother that I really didn't want to vote for Peg, for exactly that reason and my mother told me something that stuck with me for the rest of my life. She said, "Paul, if you really don't want to vote Democrat you should probably write in a candidate. If you vote for a Republican you'll never forget the day when you became a colossal cocksucking asshole."

I wrote in Mickey Mouse. Thanks Mom!

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby Meade » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Mom must be extremely proud.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby Detritus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 am

pjbogart wrote:I told my mother that I really didn't want to vote for Peg, for exactly that reason and my mother told me something that stuck with me for the rest of my life. She said, "Paul, if you really don't want to vote Democrat you should probably write in a candidate. If you vote for a Republican you'll never forget the day when you became a colossal cocksucking asshole."

You certainly have a cool mom. My mom would have been much more genteel (although the gist would have been the same).

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby bdog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:55 am

Meade wrote:Also, why would Russ Feingold want to risk losing another statewide election?

He can't risk it. If he gets in it will be because he is certain of victory.

re: Mickey Mouse. I remember my 8th grade social studies teacher Mr. Friedmann told us it was our duty to vote. I still remember him every time I go to vote.

Mickey Mouse? Same as not showing up, IMHO. and lazy.

But it's interesting to see where you get your world view from. Thanks Mom indeed. :cry:

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:15 am

Oh come on guys, it was a joke. I'm not sure that my librarian mother is even capable of uttering the words "cocksucking asshole." What she actually told me is that if I voted for a Republican she would build a time machine, go back to 1971 and have an abortion.

iwiw99
Forum Addict
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby iwiw99 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 am

Keep it coming pjbogart!!!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby bdog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Dang Peej, your sense of humor is even drier than mine.

I thought it was plausible though - young woman gets jilted by a Republican, carries a grudge the rest of her life, eventually tells her son "No, GINGRICH is your father!".

barney
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:43 pm

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby barney » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

pjbogart wrote:What she actually told me is that if I voted for a Republican she would build a time machine, go back to 1971 and have an abortion.


Albeit, an illegal one....unless you were born in NY?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3065
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Who should run in the recall?

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 pm

bdog wrote:I thought it was plausible though - young woman gets jilted by a Republican, carries a grudge the rest of her life, eventually tells her son "No, GINGRICH is your father!".

Image


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests