Governor Of The Year – Scott Walker

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Governor Of The Year – Scott Walker

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Meade wrote:
rabble wrote:The only thing to disagree about is Meade's assumption that he got it because his actions produced a positive effect.

I effectively agree!

Your agreement doesn't really have a whole lot of effect. :-)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Walker has been effective at raising a lot of money out-of-state, with frequent secret campaign trips. Citizen's United will be in full bore during the next few months. Will all that money buy the election?

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:36 pm

"The Republican governor, now facing a recall effort, said in an interview he regretted not having done a better job of selling his changes to state government, including ending nearly all collective bargaining for most public employees..."If I could do this all over again, I'd spend more time in January and February making a case," Walker said in an interview at the Governor's Mansion."

Oh sure Scott. Like maybe T-A-L-K with your constituents instead of issuing edicts? Perhaps we saw through your snake oil salesmanship and didn't want any part of it?

"I just kind of came in and said, 'Okay, here's the problem, here's the solution, I'll just go fix it.' And I didn't spend a lot of time building up a communications effort to explain … the reasons why."

No Scott. You spent NO time communicating. But we know the reasons why with the Koch Brothers and your ALEC connections. Scott Fitzgerald clearly announced on Fox News that the reason for eliminating collective bargaining was to make it harder for President Obama to get re-elected without support from the Unions. Nothing, absolutely nothing to do with balancing the budget in Wisconsin. The Governor of Vermont saw through that stupidity when he gave you the maple syrup.

"...Walker said he had assumed that "after 10 days of debate," people would come to see the benefits of what he was proposing, which included curbing the ability of most public employees to engage in collective bargaining and making it harder for public employee unions to continue operating."

Because the populace is a bunch of dumb sheep. Right. After 10 days no one will remember they had some say in their working conditions.

"Asked about the Feb. 22 call with a blogger pretending to be billionaire and Walker supporter David Koch, Walker called his statements during that call "stupid...But "just the fact that I was duped … that I would go off and talk about stuff like that, yeah it was stupid." In a separate interview with The Associated Press, Walker said he believes Wisconsin residents are better off now than they were a year ago, and he will focus on talking about his plans for the future if he has to face an unprecedented recall election in 2012."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... z1haj1tZKL

Wisconsin is at the top of the list for unemployment numbers, we've lost thousands of good paying jobs, lost the high speed rail stimulus opportunity, companies like Harley Davidson are asking for "volunteer" layoffs, government employees are taking pay cuts, and other companies are moving facilities and their jobs out of state, while other companies scheme to destroy any collective bargaining in their workplace in order to dictate worker conditions. How is this better for Wisconsin?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Good article by Bill Lueders, Lily. But why did you leave off the money quote?:

Walker said he doesn't care when it [the recall election] happens, he stands by his record and his belief that the state is better off under his leadership.
"A year ago we were on the edge of an economic and a fiscal crisis," he said. "We're better. We're not as good as we can be. Part of what I look forward to in 2012 is how do we take our plan and our positive outlook for the future and find a way to work together to achieve it to get people back to work."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... z1hf7MJmsG
Last edited by Meade on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Walker is a liar.

A recent fundraising letter for Gov. Scott Walker made a surprising claim about his accomplishments in office: "We've turned a $3.6 billion Jim Doyle deficit into a $300 million surplus. Wisconsin is debt-free for the first time in a decade," the Nov. 23 letter from Friends of Scott Walker read.

Wisconsin, in fact, continues to carry billions of dollars of debt.

According to a June 2011 paper from the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau, Wisconsin owed $6.8 billion in general obligation debt as of December 2010. The state also owes $3.02 billion in revenue bonding, according to the bureau. These figures will be higher when new numbers are issued in late December, says Al Runde, a Fiscal Bureau analyst. That is because previously authorized bonds will be issued this year, new debt has been incurred, and some debt principal has been deferred, he explains.

Gov. Walker's budget bill authorized the state to issue $2.15 billion of new general obligation and revenue bonding, though the Legislature knocked that down to $1.73 billion, says Runde.

The governor's budget additionally restructured current debt to "roll over" or defer principal amounts, which means the state reduces current payments but will end up owing more in the long run.

According to Runde, it was the second "largest annual amount of debt restructuring to date."

A Walker campaign spokeswoman could not immediately comment.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:20 pm

If that's a lie, Henry, it isn't Walker but whoever wrote the fundraising letter who got it wrong.

Speaking of Doyle, who remembers this?:

Wisconsin
FY2009 shortfall: $1.2 billion
FY2010 shortfall: $2.9 billion
Hunting for more revenue, Gov. Jim Doyle has proposed taxing iTunes music purchases and ringtone downloads. He also plans to raise college tuition, but increase financial aid to compensate. “Without [the stimulus],” said Doyle, “we would have had to cut schools and healthcare by 10 percent, 15 percent or 20 percent. It would have been devastating for our kids to get a decent education. It would have led to the laying off of teachers, police officers and fire fighters and healthcare workers.”
Total projected stimulus funding to state: $3.8 billion
Fiscal Stabilization Fund: $722 million
Medicaid funds: $1.2 billion

That's from this 2009 Salon article titled "States of Panic".:

http://www.salon.com/2009/02/26/state_budgets/

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker has been effective at raising a lot of money out-of-state, with frequent secret campaign trips. Citizen's United will be in full bore during the next few months. Will all that money buy the election?

More than half of Republican contributions for Walker’s recall fight are from outside Wisconsin. On the top of the list is Texan Bob Perry who funded the “Swiftboat” campaign against John Kerry in 2004.

A list of all contributions exceeding $1,000 received by Governor Scott Walker's campaign committee between July 1 and December 10, 2011 is available from Wisconsin Democracy Campaign.

A list (compiled from the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign data sorted by contribution amount) showing contributors giving the highest amount (nearly a quarter million dollars) to $10,000 from between July 1 and December 10, 2011 can be found here.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:37 pm

"Scott Walker is not only getting untold and unaccountable amounts of money from the Koch Brothers and Karl Rove right-wing factions. He’s also getting oodles of cash from many out-of-state Republican contributors who seem very interested in making sure he stays the Grand Demogogue of Fitzwalkerstan."

Scotty, it's time you leave the office. Gracefully. But if you won't, we can show you the door.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Meade wrote:Good article by Bill Lueders, Lily. But why did you leave off the money quote?:

Walker said he doesn't care

I think that sums it up nicely.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:07 pm

Meade wrote:
rabble wrote:The only thing to disagree about is Meade's assumption that he got it because his actions produced a positive effect.

I effectively agree!

That's because you're an idiot.

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:29 am

puzz

Postby puzz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 am

DavidFreedomFighter

Postby DavidFreedomFighter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:06 am

I disliked it on You Tube. Thanks for allowing me to see this so that I could check the thumbs down. Walker said he would create jobs not destroy the state government, and embarrass the entire population of Wisconsin. He's like every other Republican, a liar.The only honest Republican was shot by John Wilkes Booth!

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 am

Return to “Local Politics & Government”