Where does Brian Solomon go to get his reputation back?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 am

Although the Dane County District Attorney's Office has decided not to charge Madison Ald. Brian Solomon after a city clerk staffer accused him of sexual assault, the allegation continues to dog him and the rest of the City Council.

That's from a November 27 Capital Times article Jason linked to on Sunday.

"And, while it is not a legal requirement that sexual assault victims resist their attackers or specifically shout out the word ‘no' before a crime occurs, Ms. Berg's acknowledged lack of any response to Solomon when she awoke to his conduct is a case weakness," [Assistant District Attorney] Rusch wrote.
But she also made it clear that she believed Berg's allegations.

So - no criminal prosecution also means no day in court for Ald. Solomon to clear his name, right? Is Mr. Solomon being defamed by the DA assistant - a government agent with a position of authority - who made a public statement that she believes his accuser's allegations of assault? Are public officials really allowed to do that?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where does Brian Solomon go to get his reputation back?

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 am

April 12, 2010

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 am

Have him retrace his steps. Sounds like he might have left it at the Bayou.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Good ones, rabble and bdog. No doubt Mr. Solomon does wish he could time travel back to April 2010 and get do-overs on a few of the decisions he made then.

But what if his story is true - that he did nothing in the relationship without having consent? What if he is completely innocent?

Here's a man who holds an elective office, endorsed for reelection by none other than Alder Shiva Bidar Silaff who stated:
" I’ve known Brian for 12 years and appreciate his values and principles. He’s a strong voice for equality and justice on the Council. Its an honor to work by his side and I strongly support his re-election.”

Diana Shinall, Director of Madison Apprenticeship Program, endorsing him said,
“If I were asked what are some traits that I think are important for District 10 alder, I would say the following: one who is respectful of all, one who is patient, one who has a vision, one who is present not just in name or title, and one who is a servant to those who have elected him to office. If I had to sum these traits into two words, they would be Brian Solomon. I’m proud to support his re-election.”

And Alder Julia Kerr endorsed Solomon with,  
"I can't think of anyone that I'm more proud to have served with on the Madison City Council than my good friend Brian Solomon.  He is the person to keep District 10 and the City of Madison moving forward."

Indeed, he was reelected to office by the people of District 10. Wouldn't it help him now more than ever if these three women were to publicly support him and re-vouch for his character?

While running for reelection, Solomon, himself, pledged to:
• Act with integrity
• Educate myself, learn, and listen
• Be respectful
• Treat others with dignity
• Represent my constituents by doing what is right and not necessarily popular
• Be responsive
• Focus on improving our community, valuing our diversity, and creating a more humane society

Where is the evidence that Brian Solomon has broken any of his pledges? Will he now be shunned by all of Madison simply because an allegation was made against him - an allegation that has never been proven?

No due process? No equal protection? His reputation and perhaps his ability to provide a living for himself and his two young innocent dependent children in tatters?

What could be more illiberal and unjust?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Meade wrote:But what if his story is true - that he did nothing in the relationship without having consent? What if he is completely innocent?

He should start a blog titled "I want to tell you" and everything should work out fine.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Solomon, Cain, and men generally are the real victims of sexual assualt.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Interesting concept, DCB. I wish you would expand on it.

I'm beginning to think that Brian Solomon is a victim. A victim of circumstance. A victim of rumor. A victim of an overeager and puritanical press and a DA's office with an ax to grind.

The whole thing is not unlike the story Bill Lueders leaked to the press in an attempt to ruin the reputation of Justice Prosser.

It makes me wonder if Madison, Wisconsin harbors a deep and unreformed tradition of illiberalism dressed up in "women's rights" and "progressivism". Is that possible?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 pm

Remember all those long days ago, when Meade was wondering out loud if maybe the Democrats would decline to announce how many recall signatures they'd gotten because they were too embarrassed?

Remember that? What a long, long time ago that was.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:38 pm

rabble, you should start that as a new topic. If I see it, I'll comment.

Meanwhile, any new ideas on Brian Solomon? Do you care if his reputation is ruined by false charges of assault? If not, why not?

What can the average man (and even some women) do to avoid the fate Brian Solomon is experiencing - what he refers to as an "ordeal"?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:48 pm

Meade wrote:If not, why not?

This is why not:
Hi, I'm Brian. I love trees...and myself.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:50 pm

I'd say it all goes back to when he followed her in to the bathroom. Dude was either incredibly trashed (and is a douche when he is trashed) or just always has a complete lack of judgment.

radboy
Forum Addict

Postby radboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Snoqueen wrote in another thread
snoqueen wrote:Is this a generational thing, and what seemed pretty ordinary (to me) in the late 60s-early 70s is no longer?

Hey Snow, you seem like a happening freaky hippy chick. Do you want to get together and get Brian to coach us in this whole digital workmanship thingy? Interested in learning to do a deuce?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Heh heh. You guys are making me laugh.

But now look - he's not a bad looking guy and sure, he made a mistake or two. Boys don't go into the girl's restrooms. Period. That is straight out of everything I really need to know I learned in kindergarten.

But why is he now being thrown under the Democrat(ic)/Progressive bus? Rumors, hearsay, and an assistant DA's opinion. An innocent man trapped in a virtual 6X6 politically correct jail cell.

How is that America?

radboy
Forum Addict

Postby radboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 pm

I wrote the below in the previous thread and everyone ignored it to have an exciting conversation about who is a hypocrite. Any thoughts now?
radboy wrote:The person who clearly did wrong is District Attorney Shelly Rusch. It is a real disservice to justice when a prosecutor, declining to press charges, then turns around and says that the person is guilty none the less. I hope her boss Ismael Ozanne reprimands her and informs her that she does not get to act as judge and jury. Shelly Rusch abused the power that the people of Dane County invested in her and made a mockery of the rule of law.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm

radboy wrote:Snoqueen wrote in another thread
snoqueen wrote:Is this a generational thing, and what seemed pretty ordinary (to me) in the late 60s-early 70s is no longer?

Hey Snow, you seem like a happening freaky hippy chick. Do you want to get together and get Brian to coach us in this whole digital workmanship thingy? Interested in learning to do a deuce?

Radboy, way to hijack the thread!
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”