Gonna get 540,000 recall signatures?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Gonna get 540,000 recall signatures?

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 am

I fear the recall is going to fall short. People are not outside in public areas in cold months. People stay home, or they drive to grocery stores, theaters and shopping malls. The problem is that this is private property, controlled by generally pro-Walker business owners.

Maybe a door-to-door effort will be necessary. But that is unpleasant, hard work.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gonna get 540,000 recall signatures?

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:53 am

It's really much more than that as they're counting on X number of signatures being thrown out.

I've been impressed with what I've seen so far, but liken it to a new diet: The first 10-15 lbs fly off and then it gets really hard to lose more.

You can do it, just have to work 10 times as hard as you did in the early stages.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:27 am

I can't get out there, but my partner and neighbor are working very hard, so I get the reports. Businesses like Best Buy are actively monitoring any activity, quickly shooing people away from sidewalks, even a distance away from their entrance.

From small anecdotal evidence (talking to people in town for high school football tournament) there is little petitioning activity in small towns.

I wonder if hospitals might be less hostile because of Walker cuts to health care. Certainly the public clinics would be good spots.

It seems that starting petition drive in November was disasterous, if understandable, idea. Much easier in warmer weather, holiday shopping season is absolute worst case.

Petition drive going to have to move to neighborhoods and small towns. Success is not assured.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:43 am

Best Buy may be pro-Walker but they have a strict no solicitation policy. If you went there with a pro-Walker petition you would be asked to leave. Makes sense to me as either effort might scare away customers.

Petitioners at the Berbee Derby were very respectful, perhaps a little too much though as far as being noticed.

Kashka-Kat

Postby Kashka-Kat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Yknow.... it's not that cold out. Lots of people are out and about. Petitioners are going door to door. They're standing on the sidewalks and terraces, not public property.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:46 pm

If the winter season turns out to be an impediment to gathering enough signatures, why not just register to sponsor a new recall effort next spring when temperatures are milder?

Also, why are so many anti-Walker voters so afraid of the cold?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:06 pm

I doubt it will take much more than 6 weeks to get enough signatures that they have a nice margin of safety.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:44 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/ ... 17323.html

Republicans criticize recall drives near malls

Madison - Wisconsin Republicans ripped Democrats for recall signature drives near malls on Black Friday.

Democrats and their allies launched a drive to recall Republican Gov. Scott Walker earlier this month. They're angry over Walker policies, including a law that stripped public workers of most collective bargaining.

Republicans said the effort amounted to harassing shoppers. The party said businesses should call police if signature gatherers don't leave their property upon request and shoppers should report problems to the GOP's "Recall Integrity Center" website.

A spokeswoman for United Wisconsin, a coalition working to recall Walker, said volunteers were collecting signatures on public spaces near malls and other busy areas.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Galoot wrote:I doubt it will take much more than 6 weeks to get enough signatures that they have a nice margin of safety.

Wishful thinking.

I heard yesterday that 130,000 signatures were collected in first week. This is unimpressive, the easy signatures have been collected, it will get harder.

Republican calls for police action for "harassment of shoppers" is truly disgusting. What we are seeing is grassroots democracy. Business owners ought to respect the civic importance of people being able to politely communicate with each other. It is not disruptive. The businesses taking an aggressive hardline are doing so for political reasons.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Huckleby wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/regbrfs26-c436rrm-134517323.html

Republicans are whiny ass titty babies

Fixed that headline for them...

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Huckleby wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/regbrfs26-c436rrm-134517323.html

Republicans are whiny ass titty babies

Fixed that headline for them...

You're much to kind. It should have read "Republicans are jackbooted democracy squelching thugs".

someone else
Forum Addict

Postby someone else » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:02 pm

the recall signature collection station I see from my front window has slowed down to a grinding halt. I felt sorry for them standing out there in the rain today. It's got to be demoralizing.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Not nearly as demoralizing as you'd like to be. I've done volunteer work in worse weather. Everybody around here knows the area's been saturated and signatures are going to come in a lot slower. The ones out there now know they're getting the strays and the stragglers.

It's not really about getting signatures now as much as it is about letting people like you know they're still there. And they ain't going away.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Some people are expressing support for recalling Walker, but they won't sign because the record is public, and they fear for their jobs. Business interests hold a lot of power in this situation.

100 years ago, even 50 years ago, people congregated around public spaces - businesses were downtown, adjoining public streets, sidewalks, terraces. Now, people are doing shopping, business & entertainment on private property. The petition rules are obsolete, we lack a physical public square.

The best hope, as I see it, is door-to-door. But that takes great courage, this is a volatile issue. People in smaller cities will be reluctant to rock the local boat. There are violent threats in seemingly safe public spaces, better bring some security door-to-door.

The deck is stacked against petitioners. Maybe as news seeps out that petition drive may fail, more people will volunteer to help.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”