"No Guns" signs, not "Help Wanted" signs

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "No Guns" signs, not "Help Wanted" signs

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 pm

David Blaska wrote:
lukpac wrote:
Of course, there are other uses for all of those things. The only purpose of a gun is to hurt/damage people/things.

So, no, the same is not really true.

Actually, Lukpac, the purpose of a gun is to put food on the table, to defend against attack, for target shooting and marksmanship competition.

Of those, only one of them would involve using a gun in the workplace(*), which (if you'll recall) is the topic of this thread. And that would result in wounding or killing another person.

(*) aside from a small number of edge cases.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 pm

David Blaska wrote:48 other states

Irrelevant argument on any subject.

If you want to put a sign up at your manse saying no guns inside, it's your castle. (That's my doctrine.)

Thanks for the permission, Dave, but I don't recall asking for it. I only suggested that maybe you stop heaping scorn on those who aren't fans of guns. Y'know, don't tread on me and all that.
Last edited by jjoyce on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 pm

fisticuffs wrote:The least you could do is carve off some of your contempt for your customers and serve a slice to your staff for lowering the conversation to a place even I can't take it.

The level of righteousness is baffling. You called him a dipshit, dude. How is that civil? And how does that help in any way? It diverts the discussion immediately.

I have no contempt for anyone, but I don't think you add much to the board.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:But workplace gun violence might be more likely if workers were wearing their guns on the job.

That's when the impulsive angry thing works best: when you've got the thing right there strapped on your shoulder or hip.

I can't in my wildest imaginations figure out why any employer would let their people wear a gun in the office or plant. People get mad all the time at work -- it's part of any job. Having them able to draw guns on one another during simple disputes is a totally pointless risk.

This is exactly what is so amusing. We are NO LONGER DISCUSSING the merits or detriments of concealed carry as IT IS ALREADY LAW!

LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. WE ARE DISCUSSING THESE IDIOTIC SIGNS.

Honestly, do you really think a damm sign is going to stop someone hell bent on murder?

Why don't we just place murder free zone signs at the edge of town on every road and the airport, Surely that would stop it...RIGHT? (Dripping with sarcasm here for the deliberately obtuse)

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 pm

David Blaska wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
What you meant to write, mr. Fisticuffs, is

That's Mr. Fisticuffs, dipshit.

Is that like "Mr. Fisticuffs, attorney at law"?

Fisticuffs, you gotta admit that that is a pretty awesome burn.

Serious question: do those signs just apply to concealed carry or do they also affect open carry? And if you bring a gun into an establishment that has such a sign are you actually breaking a law?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:34 pm

David Blaska wrote:Actually, Lukpac, the purpose of a gun is to put food on the table, to defend against attack, for target shooting and marksmanship competition.

Exactly what I said: hurt/damage people/things.

Besides, handguns are generally not used for hunting.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 am

But won't there be jobs created for undertakers, grave diggers, embalmers...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 am

We are NO LONGER DISCUSSING the merits or detriments of concealed carry as IT IS ALREADY LAW!

At this point in the discussion, we were talking about whether or not an employer allowing workers to carry on the job was good policy. The right to post property "no guns" (including to post a workplace) is part of the law as passed.

The title of the topic ("No Guns" signs, not "Help Wanted" signs) is directly related to the posting of workplaces. And it's a shame on the Walker administration that workplaces have to be sticking "no guns" signs on the door instead of "help wanted."

What didn't you get about all that?

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:32 pm

jjoyce wrote:

Actually, completely relevant. There's a reason the states are called the laboratories of democracy. The experience of other states is often cited as, for instance, Ohio's referendum on collective bargaining last week.

jjoyce wrote:I only suggested that maybe you stop heaping scorn on those who aren't fans of guns.

I don't believe I have made any small penis jokes, Jason. I do heap scorn on those who believe in the transformative power of signage. I hereby declare Orchard Ridge to be a crime-free zone.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:42 pm

David Blaska wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

Actually, completely relevant. There's a reason the states are called the laboratories of democracy.

So Mr. B, what do you think about the following?
The NRA is at it again.

Different states have different rules for carrying concealed handguns, and for good reason. Rules that make sense in largely rural Western states such as Montana or Wyoming can make much less sense in more urban states such as New York and New Jersey, where legislators have made it harder to get a carry permit than it is out West.

This seems perfectly logical. But to the National Rifle Association, these differing state regulations represent a "nightmare" for interstate travelers. And thanks to the gun lobby's political clout, the House is poised to vote today on a dangerous measure that would require all states to accept each other's carry permits, no questions asked.

If the NRA gets its way, states with stricter laws would have to bow to those with the loosest regulations, even if a visitor didn't meet the stricter state's minimum requirements for age, history of mental illness, criminal record, training and so on. For example, Nevada and New Mexico— which have quit honoring carry permits from Utah, where concealed carry permits are relatively easy to get, even by mail order — would be forced to start accepting Utah permits.

So much for states' rights.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm

lukpac wrote:Besides, handguns are generally not used for hunting.

Except for the most dangerous game.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:53 pm

David Blaska wrote:I don't believe I have made any small penis jokes, Jason. I do heap scorn on those who believe in the transformative power of signage. I hereby declare Orchard Ridge to be a crime-free zone.

That would be redundant, as crime is inherently illegal everywhere.

As for guns, a sign won't physically prevent somebody from carrying (or using) a gun, but it will make doing so a crime.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:47 pm

lukpac wrote:That would be redundant, as crime is inherently illegal everywhere. As for guns, a sign won't physically prevent somebody from carrying (or using) a gun, but it will make doing so a crime.

If it is concealed, how would one know?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:52 pm

If illicit drugs are concealed, are they legal? And yet, it seems that thousands are charged with possession, right?
How did the police know?
Last edited by jman111 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 pm

David Blaska wrote:If it is concealed, how would one know?

They don't have to be concealed.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”