Gun Mania

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gun Mania

Postby acereraser » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 am

Here's a different, rawer capture. The definition is too low to determine whether Zimmerman's injuries are consistent with his account, but he doesn't appear to be too roughed up.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 am

As someone who boxed as a kid into my early 20s, most swelling and bruising isn't always noticeable right away. Especially if you've got a good cut man... or EMTs who clean you up good at the scene prior to being taken to the police station. And it's the police who determined he needed medical attention at the scene... why would they make that up? The video is basically pointless and more attempts at sensationalism. The quality and distance of the footage can't prove or disprove anything... based on what I saw.

To the Zimmerman persecutors I have to ask... why? What do you feel is Zimmerman's motive here? Again, I don't know what happened or why. So by default I have to look at it from a legal perspective. What is Zimmerman's motivation here?

The SYG law is stupid. Like a lot of laws out there.

But if someone can tell me simply what they believe Zimmerman's motive is (was), maybe I can start to try and understand why people are more irate at him and not this SYG law.

Rabble?

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:52 am

This thread's going a lot of different directions btw and the Martin/Zimmerman story should almost certainly have it's own dedicated tread. I'll create one in Headlines where the discussion can be continued.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 am

Remember_Me wrote:To the Zimmerman persecutors I have to ask... why? What do you feel is Zimmerman's motive here? Again, I don't know what happened or why. So by default I have to look at it from a legal perspective. What is Zimmerman's motivation here?

To that I would say: good question. Since there doesn't seem to be any indication that he would have needed to pull out, much less fire, a gun.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Remember_Me wrote:But I do think there's more to this story then the sensationalism we've been fed thus far.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... -certainty

As the Trayvon Martin controversy splinters into a debate about self-defense, a central question remains: Who was heard crying for help on a 911 call in the moments before the teen was shot?

A leading expert in the field of forensic voice identification sought to answer that question by analyzing the recordings for the Orlando Sentinel.

His result: It was not George Zimmerman who called for help.

Tom Owen, forensic consultant for Owen Forensic Services LLC and chair emeritus for the American Board of Recorded Evidence, used voice identification software to rule out Zimmerman. Another expert contacted by the Sentinel, utilizing different techniques, came to the same conclusion.

Zimmerman claims self-defense in the shooting and told police he was the one screaming for help. But these experts say the evidence tells a different story.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 am

acereraser wrote:Here's a different, rawer capture. The definition is too low to determine whether Zimmerman's injuries are consistent with his account, but he doesn't appear to be too roughed up.

What's most interesting about this video is how nice the cops are to Zimmerman. He's cuffed, but they barely lay a hand on him, they seem to confer with him at one point (in the garage) about something in his pockets, and he's allowed to walk on his own (not being hauled) into the booking area almost like he knows them or is a peer. I'm not saying he is either one of those, but he's being treated with surprising consideration and respect. And he looks perfectly OK -- he climbs out of the car by himself no-hands in a very athletic manner, not like someone who just took a bad fall or has body bruises.

I only wish I believed if these same cops had a seventeen year old black kid in a hoodie under the same circumstances he'd be treated as nicely. I have no way to know.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I get what you're saying sno, except Zimmerman wasn't under arrest and at that point was considered the victim I would imagine. I think the police were operating under the assumption he had fired in self defense. I was actually surprised that he was even handcuffed. Perhaps it's just SOP. I don't know.

Either way, it would seem that as more and more evidence is released the more explaining Zimmerman is gonna have to do.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Intruder wasn't burglar, but drunken man who went in wrong house, police say
At the recommendation of a 911 call taker, the mother, father and children locked themselves in a bedroom and waited for police to respond to their home in the 500 block of North Street at about 3 a.m.

Someone get a copy of the Castle Doctrine to these wusses, stat!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:01 am

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:DOJ: 100,000 concealed carry permits issued in Wisconsin

I feel safer already.

That's great news Henry. When did you get your license? :wink:

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I thought by your interpretation of the Second Amendment no license is required.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I thought by your interpretation of the Second Amendment no license is required.

That's true, but at last check philosopher-kings were not governing the country. Perhaps more relevant is Wisconsin's own constitution.

Compared to no concealed carry, licensed concealed carry is the lesser evil. Constitutional carry is a goal that is within reach, as shown by the increasing number of states that have embraced or are considering it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 am

Firearms purchases booming in Wisconsin

Firearms-related businesses in the state say they are hard-pressed to meet demand, which they say is being generated by factors ranging from Wisconsin's concealed carry law to presidential politics.

D-Man, are you one of the paranoid types who thinks Obama is going to try to take away your guns if he is reelected?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Firearms purchases booming in Wisconsin

Firearms-related businesses in the state say they are hard-pressed to meet demand, which they say is being generated by factors ranging from Wisconsin's concealed carry law to presidential politics.

D-Man, are you one of the paranoid types who thinks Obama is going to try to take away your guns if he is reelected?

I have no idea what his plans are if he's reelected. Why don't you write to him and ask?

His record on gun issues has been surprisingly restrained in terms of pushing legislation. But hey, he did sign the bill that allows people to go armed in national parks. That's a small plus in my opinion.

But he has appointed an anti-gun people to key positions, e.g., the Attorney General and the head of the ATF, plus anti-gun judges. But he's undoubtedly prudent enough to know that he'd be wasting his time expending energy for legislation that wouldn't have a chance of passing. When he ran the first time he said he couldn't ban guns if he wanted. That doesn't really tell us if he DOES want to or does not. But I'll take him at his word until he gives reason to do otherwise.

We'll just have to wait to see if he's elected again, and if so what if anything he pushes for in a second term.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”