Gun Mania

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gun Mania

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:44 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Zimmerman's lawyer now says it was a case of his client defending himself from an attack and that Florida's "stand your ground" law doesn't apply in this instance.

Sonner said Zimmerman felt "one of them was going to die that night," when he pulled the trigger.

Yep. And I'll bet Zimmerman had a pretty good idea which one of the two it would be.
This is just sickening.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 am

Dangerousman wrote:On the other hand, Mr. Morrison was committing the crime of bail jumping at the same time he was committing the crime of breaking and entering: just another couple of additions to his history of disregard for the law and for other people.

"Breaking and Entering"?
Are you sure about that?
Most of the evidence in this case does not support the view that the homeowner's three season room / porch had been "broken" into...

http://www.wisn.com/download/2012/0321/30733454.pdf

Also:
The bottom line is that no one cannot (sic) predict precisely how a court would define "forcibly" under the Castle Doctrine...

And, thanks to the Washington County DA's office, we won't have a chance to find out in this case. We can see how the DA reasoned though this dilemma, though:
However, it is clear that Mr. Morrison must have used some minimal "force" in opening two doors in order to gain access to homeowner's three season room / porch.

To the DA, opening two doors is forcible entry. He even presumes that a jury would feel the same way.

Wow. Good to know.

To those of us who understand elementary physics, at least minimal "force" must be exerted just to walk. What if there hadn't been doors on the porch?
Last edited by jman111 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:11 am

lukpac wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Henry I hope you don't give out your address, your house must be a very soft target.

Yawn.

Apparently anyone who isn't paranoid and trigger-happy is a 'very soft target'.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 am

West Bend protesters rally against castle doctrine law

Washington County District Attorney Mark Bensen announced last week that the shooter, Adam Kind, 35, was justified under the doctrine and would not be charged with any crime. The law, passed last year, presumes that anyone using deadly force against unlawful intruders to their home acts reasonably.

More than 160 people at Sunday's protest carried signs such as "Repeal the castle doctrine" and "Castle doctrine=License to kill."

Lauri Morrison, the victim's mother, said her family was heartbroken to hear Bensen's decision.

"A man executed my son at point blank," she said. "This law was not passed to execute people."
Mickey Muenster, whose son was a friend of Morrison's, said it bothered him that Kind seemed to have so many other options, like locking his kitchen door, or just yelling out to his porch that he had a gun and was calling police. The castle doctrine, he said, "makes it too convenient of an out for people" who shoot others in their home.
"People are going to be shooting anyone who comes in their yard they don't like the look of."

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:33 am

Tom Tomorrow points out the obvious (again):

Biff stands his ground

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 pm

An interesting statistic from Time:

[...] the St. Petersburg Times found that five years after [Stand Your Ground] was signed by then Governor Jeb Bush — who called it a "good, commonsense anti-crime" bill — claims of justifiable homicides in Florida more than tripled, from just over 30 to more than 100 in 2010. In that time, the stand-your-ground defense was used in 93 cases involving 65 deaths — and in the majority of those cases, it worked.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

The latest I see has the Martin kid whoopin' the snot out of Zimmerman. Zimmerman was on the ground crying for help before shooting.

And what's with all the pics of these two the media is circulating? They're showing pics of the Martin kid at like 12 or 13 and looking angelic while Zimmerman apparently only has a mugshot. Zimmerman while physically heavier is only 5'9 while Martin is 6'3. Zimmerman is also much slimmer than the pic the media keeps circulating as seen below.

The Martin kid was also just suspended from school over drugs. None of this justifies losing your life, but if Zimmerman actually shot only after being whooped on and crying for help, then I'm more sympathetic to his defense.

Some UPDATED pics of both Zimmerman and Martin and more details that don't seem to be spreading:

And here's the pic that's on Yahoo's homepage right now:

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Remember_Me wrote:The Martin kid was also just suspended from school over drugs.

He was suspended from having an empty bag of weed that had trace amounts in it.

The quote from that third picture is great. "now imagine Trayvon dressed in a hoodie(a disquise) stalking my neighborhood." Um, the only thing about that photo that adding a hoodie would make him scary is his skin color. Doesn't look too Menacing to me. That black balloon is utter hilarity.

These people do realize Zimmerman had a hoodie on too.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm

If you have any tears left, please save one or three for some local 19, 20, and 22-year-old victims: LINK LINK

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:55 pm

What does your post have to do with the topic at hand, you fucking troll?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 pm

If you have any tears left, please save one or three for some local 19, 20, and 22-year-old victims: LINK LINK

My heart goes out to their families, and to the victims who missed out on an obvious great opportunity to kill someone.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Remember_Me wrote: None of this justifies losing your life, but if Zimmerman actually shot only after being whooped on and crying for help, then I'm more sympathetic to his defense.

I'd be sympathetic if I knew they tested Zimmerman for drugs or alcohol. They tested the dead guy, why not the live one. I guess we'll never know.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Remember_Me wrote: None of this justifies losing your life, but if Zimmerman actually shot only after being whooped on and crying for help, then I'm more sympathetic to his defense.

I'd be sympathetic if I knew they tested Zimmerman for drugs or alcohol. They tested the dead guy, why not the live one. I guess we'll never know.

I'd be sympathetic if Zimmerman had stopped following Martin when the police dispatcher told Zimmerman the police didn't need him to keep on following Martin.

Oh, wait!...

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Meade wrote:If you have any tears left, please save one or three for some local 19, 20, and 22-year-old victims: LINK LINK

I'd like to know what Meade was wearing when this was posted, so I can profile accordingly.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Meade wrote:If you have any tears left, please save one or three for some local 19, 20, and 22-year-old victims:

I really don't understand the mental place you are posting from. Do you personally frame every news item you see as politically partisan, or do you just catch the drift from Blaska, among others? You don't even opt for some sort of indication that you are a person capable of empathy, by way of Geraldo, and try to equivocate why the kid got himself killed, while not letting Zimmerman off the hook completely. Instead, you display fake concern for other victims, which only comes across as phoney, and especially repulsive considering you are purposefully threadjacking a discussion about a murder.

There was no mention of guns in either of the links you posted, and the title of the thread is Gun Mania.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”