Gun Mania

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I pointed out it's usefulness: To shut up paranoid people like you.

The paranoid people are those who think they have to be armed to go out in public. That paranoia is also behind the measure that makes permit holders exempt from open public record laws.


Oh, and nice avoidance of every question I raised.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Dangerousman wrote:But since some people live in the real world, it's hardly paranoia.


No, it is definitely paranoia.

Dangerousman wrote:Paranoia is what you exhibit, when you fear the law-abiding people as much as you fear the bad people.


Every "bad" person was law-abiding at one point in their lives.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3969
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby jman111 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Dangerousman wrote:As far as making a the list of licensees a public record, what a crock. Have you ever heard of someone looking up dog licenses in order to break in and steal dogs? Or an stalker or jealous ex checking to see if a dog license has been issued to a woman because she might have a dog for protection? Or how would you like an anti-gun employer checking the list and then firing any employee found on the list?

The tired old "officer safety" mantra (the twin to "it's for the children") is even a bigger crock. Every cop will tell you that they always assume anyone with whom they come in contact may be armed. Having access to whether a person has a CCL does not tell them whether that person IS in fact armed. They assume everyone is, regardless of license. The only way to verify that some is armed is to either see it, or find it during a frisk.

So, cops will assume everyone is carrying, but you presume others would consult a registry to confirm that a person owns a gun (regardless of whether or not they carry it)? Haven't you argued in the past that a person need not be a licensed carrier to own or even possess a gun?

Seems you are arguing both sides of the fence here.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:17 pm

lukpac wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:But since some people live in the real world, it's hardly paranoia.


No, it is definitely paranoia.

Dangerousman wrote:Paranoia is what you exhibit, when you fear the law-abiding people as much as you fear the bad people.


Every "bad" person was law-abiding at one point in their lives.


So you assume every law-abiding person will at some point become a bad person? That is paranoia. And delusional.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:32 pm

jman111 wrote:So, cops will assume everyone is carrying, but you presume others would consult a registry to confirm that a person owns a gun (regardless of whether or not they carry it)? Haven't you argued in the past that a person need not be a licensed carrier to own or even possess a gun?

Seems you are arguing both sides of the fence here.


You don't need a license to own or possess a gun. But a public record of a CCL would be confirmation that one is likely to have a gun. And, unfortunately, without a license one is more limited as to where one can carry that gun, and off your property you'd have to carry it openly-- which, depending upon the circumstances may not be the better way of carrying.

Right now a public list of CCL holders would identify the name and home address of about 90,000 gun owners. Collectively CCL holders in Wisconsin would be the equivalent of the 5th largest city in Wisconsin, and in a couple of months it will surpass the population of Kenosha and Green Bay to make it equivalent to the 3rd larges city. That's a lot of people who have gotten CCL's in just the first few months of the law. Applications have "tapered off" to 3000 per week.

So who here was in favor of the recall petitions being made public? Wasn't the some stuff about danger to abused women by making that list public? Who is on both sides of that fence?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Dangerousman wrote:So you assume every law-abiding person will at some point become a bad person?


Nope.

Dangerousman wrote:That is paranoia. And delusional.


Which is why it is worth pointing out that you said it, not me.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Dangerousman wrote: And, unfortunately, without a license one is more limited as to where one can carry that gun, and off your property you'd have to carry it openly-- which, depending upon the circumstances may not be the better way of carrying.


Whoa. What circumstances? What are you trying to hide? Don't you think it would be more of a deterrent for criminals if they saw the gun?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:16 pm

lukpac wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:So you assume every law-abiding person will at some point become a bad person?


Nope.

Dangerousman wrote:That is paranoia. And delusional.


Which is why it is worth pointing out that you said it, not me.


No, you're the one who made a point of saying every bad person started out as a law-abiding person. That indicates to me that you fear the law-abiding. Hell, I don't fear law-abiding people, that's why I don't care if they're armed. Evidently you do.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: And, unfortunately, without a license one is more limited as to where one can carry that gun, and off your property you'd have to carry it openly-- which, depending upon the circumstances may not be the better way of carrying.


Whoa. What circumstances? What are you trying to hide? Don't you think it would be more of a deterrent for criminals if they saw the gun?


What am I trying to hide? ummm.... bad weather? I don't know about you, but when it's cold or rainy I prefer to have the option of carrying under my coat.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22582
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Concealed carry, the cold weather option. Gotta keep your gun warm.

And don't leave home without it.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Concealed carry, the cold weather option. Gotta keep your gun warm.

And don't leave home without it.


I'm glad you're coming around, Henry! And I'm about to head out to the store... on this nice day, open carry.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Dangerousman wrote:No, you're the one who made a point of saying every bad person started out as a law-abiding person.


I did.

Dangerousman wrote:That indicates to me that you fear the law-abiding.


You may want to take smaller leaps with your logic next time.

Dangerousman wrote:Evidently you do.


Evidently you're good at making silly assumptions.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:08 pm

lukpac wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:No, you're the one who made a point of saying every bad person started out as a law-abiding person.


I did.

Dangerousman wrote:That indicates to me that you fear the law-abiding.


You may want to take smaller leaps with your logic next time.

Dangerousman wrote:Evidently you do.


Evidently you're good at making silly assumptions.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_In,_Shit_Out

If you're offering nothing but silly premises one can only draw silly conclusions.

Why don't you explain the point of your comment that every bad person started as a law-abiding person? Or was it pointless?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22582
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:25 pm

So you do believe that some people are born bad? Maybe it's original sin.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Gun Mania

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Why don't you explain the point of your comment that every bad person started as a law-abiding person? Or was it pointless?


What is there to explain? Do you not understand it and/or agree with it?

Everybody is law-abiding at some point. So the idea that we shouldn't worry about anything because CC permit holders are law-abiding citizens is kind of bogus, since some of those people will cease to be law-abiding at some point. And it would probably be better if they cease to be law-abiding outside the presence of guns.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests