Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Yes, I agree. WHERE are the JOBS????

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:35 pm

More Mass Layoffs, Plant Closings In 2011

More Wisconsin businesses closed or laid off a significant amount of their workers in 2011 than a year earlier, state data indicated.

There were 87 new plant closings and mass layoffs through Dec. 29, according to the state Department of Workforce Development, which tracks the data. There were 71 such events in 2010.

The number of people affected dipped slightly, to 6,798 workers, from 6,945 a year earlier, although the data doesn't include a Sears store closing in West Baraboo.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Walker has said that the national job outlook is affecting his promise to add a quarter million jobs in Wisconsin. But the latest report on the national scene is that employment is improving. So much for that excuse.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Santorum said today that the economy is picking up now because Americans are optimistic about Repubs retaking the White House.
So, I'm sure Scooter will adopt that line of bs soon too.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 pm

If Walker takes that line, then he'll need to explain why Wisconsin's "job creators" don't share in that optimism.

Private employers added 212,00 jobs, moving the total of private-sector jobs created in 2011 to 1.9 million. Governments, particularly at the local level, cut jobs — 12,000 last month — holding overall job growth for the year to 1.6 million.

Still, the jobless rate has declined by 0.6 percent since August, and it now stands at its lowest level in nearly three years.

op. cit.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am

Wisconsin Leads Nation In Eliminating Government Jobs

Of course, Walker would claim that government jobs don't count.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Wisconsin Leads Nation In Eliminating Government Jobs

Of course, Walker would claim that government jobs don't count.

This is a source of pride to the twisted conservative mind.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I wonder how many of those jobs were retirees that were not replaced? The timing is definitely right for that.....

Does anyone know of anywhere that let people go that were actually working? I haven't heard of very many of THOSE.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 pm

kiwiwannabe wrote:Does anyone know of anywhere that let people go that were actually working? I haven't heard of very many of THOSE.

Yep. I was one and there were three of us in an office of fewer than 25 regular staff that were eliminated in the last budget go-round. That's not to mention three positions that were left vacant when those workers took jobs elsewhere (one remained in the UW system and two others left the state).

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it ain't happening.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm

I suspected as much. They're keeping all of this stuff WAY too quiet. Sorry to hear it happened to you.

With all of the additional funds that they want UW to cut, I suspect it will be happening to a lot more of us.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 am

kiwiwannabe wrote:I suspected as much. They're keeping all of this stuff WAY too quiet. Sorry to hear it happened to you.

Thanks. I'm fortunate in that I managed a lateral transfer to a job I actually prefer, but others, I'm sure, haven't been so lucky.

With all of the additional funds that they want UW to cut, I suspect it will be happening to a lot more of us.

Well, with what Walker has pulled I know there have been and will continue to be people looking seriously at the early retirement option. Not all of those positions can be lost to attrition. Some are simply too critical. Of course, the loss of institutional knowledge and intellectual capital that occurs when all that experience walks out the door is not easily replaced. The Republican lizard brain can't even begin to wrap itself around that concept.

And it's worth mentioning (though I'm sure it's not news to you) that just because some empty positions are frozen doesn't mean the work goes away. Somebody else has to pick up the slack and likely that person has more work to do than they can handle already due to previous cuts. It all results in an overall decline in service: longer time processing paperwork and data, fewer people available to pick up the phone, etc.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 am

Yes, exactly - the old adages about slow service are coming true, but not because we're all drinking coffee and talking. It's because we are all doing what used to be 3 other jobs that have not been filled!

Public service is no longer something workers do with joy. It is now becoming a stress-producing nightmare. And that is too bad.....

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:It all results in an overall decline in service: longer time processing paperwork and data, fewer people available to pick up the phone, etc.

... which fuels greater public distrust in government services.

Joe Republican may not understand what a loss of services will mean, but you can bet the political operatives do. It makes the whole "government's broken" mantra easier to sell, and it paves the way for even greater corporate bullying of government agencies and the Republican wet dream of complete privatization.

In short, they want this to happen.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 pm

And it's only getting worse:

New federal labor statistics also show Wisconsin lost a bigger slice of its public sector workforce than any other state from April through June, nearly 8,000 jobs, or a 10 percent decline from the same quarter in 2010.

Conditions are ripe for another big year in 2012, and if hiring of new workers doesn't keep pace, public services could suffer...

Government workers retired in 2011 in record numbers

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Oh, the irony...

Pro-Walker jobs billboard posted right outside shuttered Janesville plant

WMC has generously started buying billboards to show its support for Walker, who is facing a massive statewide recall effort. Trouble is, a big WMC billboard reading "Governor Scott Walker Creating Jobs for Wisconsin" was set up right in front of Janesville's shuttered General Motors plant, one of the most painful symbols of job losses in the state.

The sign's small print also encouraged people to call Walker and say, "Thanks." Ouch.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”