Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7982
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am

Wisconsin lost jobs in 2011, while every single neighboring state gained jobs?


Clearly we didn't extract enough bribe money from middle class workers. The job creators just need a little more, then a little more, then a little more.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 pm

More bad news:

Local unemployment rates increased across Wisconsin in January, according to state officials.
...
All counties except Florence say high unemployment rates in January compared with December.
...
Door County had the highest unemployment at 13.5 percent while Dane County had the lowest at 4.9 percent.

The statewide unemployment rate in January was 6.9 percent.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 pm

The Wisconsin Legislature is soon to adjourn and their chance of passing any meaninful legislation for job development is nil. So instead the Assembly (all who face reelection) pass these social issue measures to appease their conservative base, even though they know these proposal have little chance of becoming law:

Assembly passes abortion, sex ed. bills

The state Assembly passed bills limiting insurance coverage for abortions and requiring schools to teach abstinence during a late-night session that lasted until Wednesday morning as they pushed to tie up pending legislation.

The Legislature was poised to adjourn Thursday without passing its two highest priorities coming into the year: a mining bill to help create hundreds of jobs in northern Wisconsin and a measure pumping money into venture capital to help spur new business creation.

Instead, lawmakers spent the early morning hours Wednesday fighting over abortion rights and sex education.

Canoe_Convoy
Senior Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Dane County, Wisconsin

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Canoe_Convoy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:41 pm

The Walker Administration's actions and policies should've now resulted in 72,675 new jobs. Where are the jobs, Mr. Governor ?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 pm

When Walker cut nearly a billion dollars in state aid for public education it cost jobs in private industry.

Webcrafters to cut staff by 15 percent

A shrinking market for book printing and publishing is forcing one of Madison’s nameplate companies to reduce employment by at least 15 percent.

Webcrafters Inc. announced Thursday it will cut its staff of 540 by this fall. The cuts will affect all levels of the firm, including manufacturing, office and supervisory staff. A 15 percent reduction would mean over 80 positions would be eliminated.
...
Most of Webcrafters business is printing school textbooks and educational material for the major publishing houses such as Pearson Prentice Hall, McGraw-Hill and Scholastic. Garner says the cutbacks in school funding at the state and local levels nationwide has reduced that demand.

obrienforgovernor
Forum Addict
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby obrienforgovernor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:18 pm

The problem is the governor and the legislature have focused on passing special interest legislation, rather than focusing on what you need to do to grow Wisconsin's economy. What is astonishing is these guys have been wasting our time for over a year, and have yet to pass a single meaningful bill dealing with agriculture or dairy, in the dairy state. How the Republican leadership intended to produce 250,000 jobs without even addressing dairy, our largest industry, is a mystery to me. It's like they're completely ignorant of the state they are supposed to be serving.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:32 am

Unified notifies teachers, administrators of layoffs

The preliminary budget projected as many as 318 full-time equivalent jobs lost through layoffs and attrition, across the board. As of Thursday five administrator positions have been targeted for reduction, according to Vaillancourt. None were specified, however.


http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/unified ... 41331.html

Huh, thought this wasn't supposed to happen with Act 10. It's an educational race to the bottom.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The Wisconsin Legislature is soon to adjourn and their chance of passing any meaninful legislation for job development is nil. So instead the Assembly (all who face reelection) pass these social issue measures to appease their conservative base, even though they know these proposal have little chance of becoming law:

Assembly passes abortion, sex ed. bills

The state Assembly passed bills limiting insurance coverage for abortions and requiring schools to teach abstinence during a late-night session that lasted until Wednesday morning as they pushed to tie up pending legislation.

The Legislature was poised to adjourn Thursday without passing its two highest priorities coming into the year: a mining bill to help create hundreds of jobs in northern Wisconsin and a measure pumping money into venture capital to help spur new business creation.

Instead, lawmakers spent the early morning hours Wednesday fighting over abortion rights and sex education.

Walker just signed those bills into law.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Alliant Techsystems Inc. will close its factory in Onalaska, near La Crosse, cutting 130 jobs.

The company told state officials that it expects to shut the plant down by mid-June.

The ATK Accessories-Eagle factory in Onalaska is part of Alliant's sporting group, which makes ammunition and shooting accessories for sporting enthusiasts, law enforcement and the military.

Arlington, Va.-based Alliant Techsystems is a $4.8 billion manufacturer of defense, aerospace, security and sporting equipment. The company, commonly known as ATK, draws about two-thirds of its revenue from government contracts.

This is the second mass-layoff notice for the La Crosse area this week. Earlier, Compass Group USA Inc., doing business as Chartwells Operations said it will close its dining services business on the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse campus.

That shutdown will affect about 270 people, including 184 students holding part-time jobs.


http://www.jsonline.com/business/allian ... 33045.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:59 pm


kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm


From the link Hank provided: "According to numbers released Thursday by the state Department of Workforce Development, Wisconsin lost 4,500 jobs between February and March and has lost 23,900 over the past year."

That's remarkably poor performance compared to your neighboring states.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3262
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm

kurt_w wrote:That's remarkably poor performance compared to your neighboring states.

Cue the Walker apologists with, "B-b-but you libruls gave us a bad rep, what wit yur protestin' and hollerin' 'n shit."

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Detritus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
kurt_w wrote:That's remarkably poor performance compared to your neighboring states.

Cue the Walker apologists with, "B-b-but you libruls gave us a bad rep, what wit yur protestin' and hollerin' 'n shit."

Alternate response: "This is further proof that Walker is turning Wisconsin around."

And around, and around, and around, and around....

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 am

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 am

Detritus wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:
kurt_w wrote:That's remarkably poor performance compared to your neighboring states.

Cue the Walker apologists with, "B-b-but you libruls gave us a bad rep, what wit yur protestin' and hollerin' 'n shit."

Alternate response: "This is further proof that Walker is turning Wisconsin around."

And around, and around, and around, and around....


As it circles the toilet bowl.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm



Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests