Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker, where are those jobs you promised?

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

Conversely, why should we keep feeding the mouths that bite us?

jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby jasonx5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 am

jman111 wrote:Conversely, why should we keep feeding the mouths that bite us?

Whos biting you, the taxpayers or the corporations?

Are you being forced to work in the public sector? You could always come to the private sector and make some "big bucks." as you say are available over here.
If I was as upset as you, I would take the "BIG" money in the private sector and live happily ever after! There is no reason for you to be so unhappy.

jimoo
Forum Addict

Postby jimoo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 am

jasonx5 wrote:

Are you being forced to work in the public sector? You could always come to the private sector and make some "big bucks." as you say are available over here.
If I was as upset as you, I would take the "BIG" money in the private sector and live happily ever after! There is no reason for you to be so unhappy.

I loved working in the public sector and serving public interests, but yeah, I had to leave. Like most people I worked with in the mid 90s in state government (DNR for me) I received about a 35% pay increase my first job out of it.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:58 am

jimoo wrote:
jasonx5 wrote:

I loved working in the public sector and serving public interests, but yeah, I had to leave. Like most people I worked with in the mid 90s in state government (DNR for me) I received about a 35% pay increase my first job out of it.

Bully for you. Another happy customer!

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
jimoo wrote:I loved working in the public sector and serving public interests, but yeah, I had to leave. Like most people I worked with in the mid 90s in state government (DNR for me) I received about a 35% pay increase my first job out of it.

Only a conservative would look at a man who left a job he loved and the DNR's losing him because they couldn't pay him what he was worth and see a happy thing.

But then I guess they'd see any blow to the DNR as a happy thing. Until they noticed all that poison in the water table.

jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby jasonx5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm

jimoo wrote:
jasonx5 wrote:

I loved sitting at home watching the television, donating my time to non profits, and driving my kids to and from school while the taxpayers paid me $388/wk while on a voluntary layoff for 6 months. I went back to work in the private sector and experienced a 100% pay increase.
Whats your point?
Why didn't you just demand more money in the public job you loved by singing songs and blowing horns in the rotunda?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:10 pm

rabble wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
jimoo wrote:I loved working in the public sector and serving public interests, but yeah, I had to leave. Like most people I worked with in the mid 90s in state government (DNR for me) I received about a 35% pay increase my first job out of it.

Only a conservative would look at a man who left a job he loved and the DNR's losing him because they couldn't pay him what he was worth and see a happy thing.

But then I guess they'd see any blow to the DNR as a happy thing. Until they noticed all that poison in the water table.

What's the problem? Dude got a big raise and the taxpayers have one less state worker to fund.

jimoo
Forum Addict

Postby jimoo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 pm

jasonx5 wrote:
I loved sitting at home watching the television, donating my time to non profits, and driving my kids to and from school while the taxpayers paid me $388/wk while on a voluntary layoff for 6 months. I went back to work in the private sector and experienced a 100% pay increase.
Whats your point?
Why didn't you just demand more money in the public job you loved by singing songs and blowing horns in the rotunda?

Excuse me? My point is that it isn't like public sector workers are getting fat, happy and rich. Myself, and many of my peers, loved serving the public and doing good work. Unfortunately, we could afford to live off the relatively low salaries. I'm not bitter about it, just a bit sad. I've returned to quasi governmental work (with a bit of a pay cut) now (in another state) after I was able to raise my base salary level up in the private sector. Again, I'm not bummed about it. It just shouldn't have to be that way. The attacking of public sector workers in Wisconsin just shocks me and well frankly, pisses me off. We (where I was) worked hard and well, to do quality public service, for below market wages, and we get attacked for it? It doesn't make any sense.

And no, I couldn't just go to my Bureau Director and ask for more money. The government sector rarely has the flexibility of the private sector in that regards.

jimoo
Forum Addict

Postby jimoo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

What's the problem? Dude got a big raise and the taxpayers have one less state worker to fund.

And one less good worker to carry out the mission and do the work. One more person in society that had to leave the job they really always wanted to do and really felt like their were making a positive contribution to society in, as well.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm

jimoo wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

And one less good worker to carry out the mission and do the work. One more person in society that had to leave the job they really always wanted to do and really felt like their were making a positive contribution to society in, as well.

But you claimed that you received a "35% raise" your first job out of government. Good for you. Most of us work to make money. Sorry if you don't have your dream job, but welcome to the club.

By definition, we can't afford the size of government we have now at any level. As I've said before, we could cut the size of government by 50% and 80% of the people wouldn't even notice.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:As I've said before, we could cut the size of government by 50% and 80% of the people wouldn't even notice.

Really? Repeating that bullshit doesn't make it so.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:As I've said before, we could cut the size of government by 50% and 80% of the people wouldn't even notice.

Don't you have an Italian cruise to take?

jimoo
Forum Addict

Postby jimoo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
jimoo wrote:
But you claimed that you received a "35% raise" your first job out of government. Good for you. Most of us work to make money. Sorry if you don't have your dream job, but welcome to the club.

By definition, we can't afford the size of government we have now at any level. As I've said before, we could cut the size of government by 50% and 80% of the people wouldn't even notice.

That part was nice, but the type of work I was doing wasn't nearly as fulfilling, nor do I think it was anywhere near as beneficial to society.

There is some sort of perverse mentality going on with the attacking of workers across our country. People have this mindset: "I don't like my job, I don't have a dream job" so I'm going to attack the person that does like their job (and then laugh "welcome to the club" when they take a job they don't enjoy as much). Or, "I don't have those benefits", so instead of saying "I should have those too" they get off on wanting those other people to lose their dream jobs and benefits (in effect, to lose their happiness). People are tearing down one another instead of lifting each other up. It makes no sense to me.

I don't agree with you on your premise on cutting the size of government either. Perhaps many people wouldn't notice, but a lot of people would, and certainly many of the most needy people and communities among us would notice.
Last edited by jimoo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Don't you have an Italian cruise to take?

Don't you have a logical argument to make that is supported by facts? It would be about time you did.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:By definition, we can't afford the size of government we have now at any level. As I've said before, we could cut the size of government by 50% and 80% of the people wouldn't even notice.

OK, this is the third or fourth time I've read this around here lately, so I have to ask: what definition? What word are you defining? Afford? Size? Government? Now? Any level?

And what dictionary are you referring to for your definition?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”