Capitol DOA employee brings knife to balloon fight

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Capitol DOA employee brings knife to balloon fight

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Channel 3 names him, but the Wisconsin State Journal's columnist/intrepid journalism professor-slash-ethicist Chris Rickert does not.

indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Rickert is a fucking toad. His column on the "Blair Bitch Project" is not only pointless, it's poorly reasoned...then again almost every column this toad pens is pointless and poorly reasoned. I'd rather read Blaska: a good car wreck is better entertainment than the Special Olympics (with all due respect to those brave folks).

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 pm

This investigation seems to be moving a lot faster than the Prosser/Bradley alleged confrontation investigation has. Gee, why is that?

David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby David Marshall » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 am

Well Garg,

People do not seem to be in the mood to accept it as self evident that all men are created equal.

I cannot come up with a better explanation.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:09 am

Maybe Walker is making them sit on the results of the Prosser investigation until after the Aug. 9 recalls.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 am

Average Joe wrote:DOA is reporting that cost the state $875,552.75 to clean up the blood and balloon remains.

I really wish this could have been complete parody.

New netting will keep balloons from reaching top of Capitol dome

Department of Administration employees have repeatedly voiced concerns that the balloons could damage the "Resources of Wisconsin" painting at the top of the dome, but many protesters have disputed that assertion.

Oh Mylar, why do you hate Art so?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 pm

The dude with the knife deserved to be disciplined. The people letting ballons go on purpose are douchebags. Not sure what level exactly - probably above the ones that throw cig butts in the urinals, but below Olbermann and Limbaugh.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 pm

I was out there the day after the knife incident. They released two balloons, both tethered to a red ribbon that reached from the floor to the dome ceiling.

They also had two big bunches of balloons that were being handed out, but the only one that got released when I was there was by a kid who lost his.

Nobody seemed particularly worried about that, but the image I think some people have of protesters walking in there and purposely releasing balloons while laughing an evil cackling laugh might not be quite correct.

I also think that if the administration had said exactly what harm the balloons can do to the paintings, concisely and clearly, weeks ago, they wouldn't have this problem now. Everybody's pretty sick of this "There might be some harm from this thing you're doing so stop doing it" crap, especially since so much of it has turned out to BE crap.

One poster on a tent sign in the rotunda that said "Helium balloons in humid air tend to stick to the paint on the ceiling and when they fall they take a bit of paint with them" would have been a hell of a lot more effective tactic than what they've been doing.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:10 pm

rabble wrote:I also think that if the administration had said exactly what harm the balloons can do to the paintings, concisely and clearly, weeks ago, they wouldn't have this problem now. Everybody's pretty sick of this "There might be some harm from this thing you're doing so stop doing it" crap, especially since so much of it has turned out to BE crap.

One poster on a tent sign in the rotunda that said "Helium balloons in humid air tend to stick to the paint on the ceiling and when they fall they take a bit of paint with them" would have been a hell of a lot more effective tactic than what they've been doing.

The thought process should be "Gee, if I release this, someone else is going to have to clean it up, whether from the top of the dome, or laying on the floor later. Maybe I can make my point without causing work for others"

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Igor wrote:The thought process should be "Gee, if I release this, someone else is going to have to clean it up, whether from the top of the dome, or laying on the floor later. Maybe I can make my point without causing work for others"

Or maybe the thought process would be "Gee this balloon is going to deflate over time and fall harmlessly to the floor where one of us protesters can dispose of it."

Give me a fucking break. Picking up a balloon off the floor is a big deal to you?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 pm

rabble wrote:
Igor wrote:The thought process should be "Gee, if I release this, someone else is going to have to clean it up, whether from the top of the dome, or laying on the floor later. Maybe I can make my point without causing work for others"

Or maybe the thought process would be "Gee this balloon is going to deflate over time and fall harmlessly to the floor where one of us protesters can dispose of it."

Give me a fucking break. Picking up a balloon off the floor is a big deal to you?

Explain to me how releasing the balloon will accomplish the goals of the singers more than singing and hanging on to the balloon will?

It seems like you are demanding a detailed cost/benefit analysis for not doing something that is pretty stupid. Are we really at the point where the actual stupidity of the act is not enough?

I really don't care if it is teabaggers or fisters - both should practice "leave no trace" protesting.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Igor wrote:I really don't care if it is teabaggers or fisters - both should practice "leave no trace" protesting.

The most important consideration in your protest is that is have no impact whatsoever.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Igor wrote:It seems like you are demanding a detailed cost/benefit analysis for not doing something that is pretty stupid. Are we really at the point where the actual stupidity of the act is not enough?

Well, here you are being stupid, and here's the DOA with a history of claiming gazillions of dollars of cleaning needed for other things (which weren't stupid at all) and here we both are, arguing over something completely trivial that could have been avoided with just a little bit of communication.

That seems awful stupid to me. So I'm going to stop. You may continue.

morninmist

Postby morninmist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Last Friday staff put up a NET in the Capitol. Now we are told it is to come down before it opens on Monday. WHO pays for this lunitic idea??????????

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... 253aac4615

ANSWERP--YOU AND ME--THE TAXPAYERS. :!: :roll:

Return to “Local Politics & Government”